I'm getting started into romhacking and decided to try translating the first detective conan game for gameboy :
Meitantei Conan: Chika Yuuenchi Satsujin Jiken (名探偵コナン 地下遊園地殺人事件, lit. Detective Conan: The Underground Amusement Park Murder Case)
AFAIK there's no one working on translating this game.
My original goal is to translate it to french
in better than nothing quality. I'm working on it since a week.
So far, what I got now :
- Text speed patch, original text speed was far too slow
- Python script for decompressing/script dump but there's still some unreliability I need to fix.
- Python script for recompressing,reinserting the script.
The text limitations are painful right now, the text box is 3 lines of 12 chars and I need to make the text compressable so it fits back in the rom. That is a major risk for this hobby project of mine because it makes the translating cost higher than I expected.
Until I'm confident that I have explored all what I could to the best of my ability to make the translating sustainable for me, I am not starting the actual translating.
If someone is interested in translating it from Japanese to English (or French) that would be great for me. I would rather focus on rom hacking if possible.
I am making this topic to report progress on this and in case someone would be interested in participating in any way, or translating it in English.
I got my proof of concept done, my next step is to dump the full script and solve all of my decompression unreliabilities left.
Thanks for reading !