News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Detective Conan: GB games hacking/translations  (Read 561 times)

SilverBullet

• View Profile
Detective Conan: GB games hacking/translations
« on: July 31, 2021, 12:57:14 pm »
Greetings,

I'm getting started into romhacking and decided to try translating the first detective conan game for gameboy :
Meitantei Conan: Chika Yuuenchi Satsujin Jiken (名探偵コナン 地下遊園地殺人事件, lit. Detective Conan: The Underground Amusement Park Murder Case)
(c.f. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Case_Closed_video_games)
AFAIK there's no one working on translating this game.

My original goal is to translate it to french in better than nothing quality. I'm working on it since a week.

So far, what I got now :
  • Text speed patch, original text speed was far too slow
  • Python script for decompressing/script dump but there's still some unreliability I need to fix.
  • Python script for recompressing,reinserting the script.

The text limitations are painful right now, the text box is 3 lines of 12 chars and I need to make the text compressable so it fits back in the rom. That is a major risk for this hobby project of mine because it makes the translating cost higher than I expected.

Until I'm confident that I have explored all what I could to the best of my ability to make the translating sustainable for me, I am not starting the actual translating.
If someone is interested in translating it from Japanese to English (or French) that would be great for me. I would rather focus on rom hacking if possible.

I am making this topic to report progress on this and in case someone would be interested in participating in any way, or translating it in English.

I got my proof of concept done, my next step is to dump the full script and solve all of my decompression unreliabilities left.

Thanks for reading !

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
Re: Detective Conan: GB games hacking/translations
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 01:29:37 am »
Awesome! I actually started on an English translation of that game several years ago. I think you're further along that I ever got, but if I find anything useful in my notes I'd be happy to send it along.

RadioTails

• Holding the Mega Drive controller
    • View Profile
Re: Detective Conan: GB games hacking/translations
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 03:31:15 am »
Perhaps do what Zelda 2 on the NES did and have 5 lines of text, but add shading to the font.

Try this for the compression: https://github.com/gitendo/lz4gb