News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: [Technical] Help for Redux projects with pending modifications/fixes  (Read 1227 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Good day, hacking community.
I've worked on a bunch of improvement hacks (and a couple translations), which I've titled "Redux" over the years.
Some of those I really replay a lot for the number of Quality of Life improvements the hack brings, effectively replacing the original versions of the games for me.

However, there are still a few Redux projects that have either pending stuff to be done, or have pending fixes yet to be implemented, and sadly, I do not have the expertise to work on those features/fixes on my own. That's why I am opening this Help Ad.

With that said, the current list of hacks I've worked on which require some help are:

Redux Projects:
  • The Legend of Zelda Redux (NES)  [COMPLETE]:
    (Forum Thread and GitHub Source Code included for reference)
    • TO-DO #1: Make SRAM save the number of hearts the player last had when saving. If hearts are 3 or below, default the hearts to 3 on file loading
    • TO-DO #2: Implementation of a Copy/Erase file system like in subsequent Zeldas, where D-Pad Up and Down control the cursor in the File Selection and pressing A brings up the Name screen (Example: ALttP or OoT Copy/Erase save file) (Done thanks to help by Minucce)
    • BUGFIX: Fix the MMC1 Animation to work properly with other emulators besides FCEUX (like Nestopia) and real hardware. (Fixed thanks to help by Fiskbit)
  • Zelda II Redux (NES) [COMPLETE]:
    (Forum Thread and GitHub Source Code included for reference)
    • TO-DO: Implementation of a Copy/Erase file system like in subsequent Zeldas, where D-Pad Up and Down control the cursor in the File Selection and pressing A brings up the Name screen (Example: ALttP or OoT Copy/Erase save file) (Done thanks to help by Minucce)
  • Ocarina of Time Redux (N64) Pending modification:
    • TO-DO: Implementation of a proper 16:9 Widescreen patch that works with Randomizer-created ROMs for inclusion into OoT Redux. Custom 16:9 prerendered background images have been made properly for each room that originally had a 4:3 background (Check Patcher64 Tool)
  • Majora's Mask Redux (N64) Pending modifications:
    (Forum Thread included for reference)
    • TO-DO #1: Implement custom code that changes the Ocarina icons for other custom instruments when Link changes forms. This should apply to both C-Button and Items Subscreen, and the description of the ocarina in the Items Subscreen. For example, being Young Link shows the default Ocarina icons as selected and its description, then Deku Link shows the Deku Pipes, Goron Link the Goron Drums, and Zora Link the Zora Guitar.
      Custom icons and descriptions for this feature have already been created, and they replace unused items in Majora's Mask. For further information on this WIP feature, please check this thread: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=31054.0
    • TO-DO #2: Modify the text prompt that appears when playing the Song of Double Time so it instead asks for input on what hour the player would like to forward to. The selection limit should be within the current hour and 12 am for the start of next day, except on the third day where it should only go up to 6pm. Something similar to the Rupee bank prompt could be used, where you can select the number for the hour, and once selected, it goes to that specific hour of the day. (This, alongside restoring Sun's Song as a hidden song for warping fast between 12-6/6-12 in a day would be ideal but also make Sun's Song not play on the night of the Final Day)
    • TO-DO #3: Implementation of a proper 16:9 Widescreen patch that works with Randomizer-created ROMs for inclusion into MM Redux. Custom 16:9 have been properly for each of Anju's Grandma's stories that originally had a 4:3 image
      (Fixed version of Widescreen implemented alongside the "New Redux" option by GhostlyDark for Patcher64)

Uncensor Projects:

Translations:
  • Wrecking Crew '98 (English Translation) (SNES) Pending modifications:
    Forum Thread included for reference)
    • Bug: After defeating Spike, once the “It has been a while…” text finished loading, and you press Start, the game crashes out for no reason with a black screen. However, it seems that this particular crash doesn’t happen in any of the other 2 paragraphs of text in this match. Also, this seems to happen with both the text after you beat him to unlock the Secret base and the second time you beat him too.
    • TO-DO: The credits sequence still uses the Japanese names for the characters in English alphabet. Modify the Credits sequence to localize the credits names of each character to their US/PAL names.

Any kind of help towards any of those projects will be greatly appreciated!
You can freely post any help here, or contact me directly through PM.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps out!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 11:28:48 am by ShadowOne333 »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: [Technical] Help for Redux projects with pending modifications/fixes
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 04:54:35 pm »
I have updated the OP to reflect the newest changes to Zelda 1 Redux.
ALl other projects are still pending the same things.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: [Technical] Help for Redux projects with pending modifications/fixes
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 01:42:43 pm »
Updated to reflect the newest changes made to both Zelda 1 and Zelda 2 Redux.
Zelda 2 Redux is now complete!
Zelda 1 Redux just lacks proper heart amount saving, and it should be complete as well.

The rest of the N64 projects, as well as the other 2 are still pending.