News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Bsnes nightly 2021-07-12  (Read 1011 times)

Felipefpl

• Banned
    • View Profile
Bsnes nightly 2021-07-12
« on: July 16, 2021, 11:27:51 am »
After almost 1 year and 4 months without any update bsnes was updated with a nightly build, strangely no mention of byuu was made.

https://github.com/bsnes-emu/bsnes
Core i7 Celeron Sandy Bridge G460 1.8 Ghz - 4 GB RAM - Win7 Home Premium x64 - Intel HD Graphics 2000 Onboard

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
Re: Bsnes nightly 2021-07-12
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 11:30:42 am »
I'm going to guess 1 of 2 possibilities:

1 - Someone obtained byuu's source code for bsnes, and without byuu around to yea or nay it, they pushed out an update immediately

2 - This was already in the works for some time, and they simply didn't want to bring up an already unpleasant topic during the release of it.
Yamero~~!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 01:05:08 pm »
I'm still confused as to what the difference is between Bsnes, Higan, and whatever Retroarch cores are floating around. (I never could quite figure out what to do with Retroarch at all.)
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

casualgeekdave

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 02:12:40 pm »
As far as I know, Near turned bsnes into a community project a while back when focus was put into other areas (Higan, Ares, etc.)

It looks like the nightly build autogenerated because the readme was updated to point to the community discord since bsnes.dev can't be updated.

Screwtapello commited the readme update to the github 4 days ago. They've been providing the primary updates to the project in recent months if the github commits are anything to go off of.

Jorpho, both emulators were originally created by Near(Byuu) with the focus of accurate low level SNES emulation. BSNES was the original emulator, but was eventually turned into a community project to allow for quality of life changes and interesting concepts (such as HD mode 7 graphics). Higan was the successor to that, which was becoming a multi console emulator aimed at low level accuracy. BSNES and Higan were both rolled into community open source projects. With BSNES allowing for more loosely controlled additions and Higans core focus being accuracy first and foremost (at least my interpretation of that). The descendant of both of those is Ares, which was similar to Higan but was a closed source project, with Near backporting improvements to Higan as time went along. A bit hard to follow, I realize haha.

As for Retroarch, well those are just the core engines that power BSNES, Higan, etc that are in a portable form that can be used for multiple programs. Retroarch and bizhawk utilize cores in this way to allow for individual development outside of their ecosystem that they can then bring in to their software. Or at least that's my interpretation of it all.

Hope this helps, friends. :D

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 07:50:07 pm »
Byuu/Near hadn't owned bsnes since the name change to Near, ever since then it was turned into a community project after it was deemed "finished" to the point that not much really needed to be done to it (note: I am paraphrasing, there were a lot of paragraphs one year ago and you should attempt to find Near's article about it).  It was because they wanted to leave the emulation development crowd afterwards (that didn't happen, obviously).  The byuu.org site was nuked at the same time IIRC.  I mentioned that in the previous thread, but that might've been cut by a mod.  Near tried to mention this but not even the name change got through to people very well.  Bsnes-HD is a fork of this version of Bsnes, by the way.

That's one reason why Ares was a thing.

Anyway, Bsnes and its forks have been chugging along this entire time without Near.  Libretro core updates and everything.  Most open source emus are best gotten by nightly updates than stable anyway these days.  Want to help ensure Near's legacy survives?  Then make sure that at the very least everyone knows about this release.

EDIT: Found the link to the article about this whole thing in /r/emulation one year ago, you'll probably not find the article as the site is dead though: https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/fm7tvs/near_byuu_farewell/
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 08:05:51 am by Chronosplit »