News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Huge update for the voice hack of Dragon Ball Z: Buyuu Retsuden!  (Read 1691 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Kanon

The recent voice hack for Dragon Ball Z: Buyuu Retsuden has received a new update with lots of improvements!

The patch, previously known as "voice changes" has been renamed to "New Voices" to better reflect the modifications made to the game. While the previous version only swapped some voices for others (like removing Son Gohan's Kame Hame Ha, to make room for his voice for Masenkō) due to limitations in the sound driver, this new version bypasses that limitation, allowing the addition of voices without the need to remove anything.

The cumulative changes now include new voices for almost every character: Gohan now says "Masenko" (added in the previous version) AND "Kame Hame Ha" (restored), Piccolo adds "Gekiretsu Kodan" while keeping the "Makankōsappō", Vegeta now says both "Final Flash" AND "Big Bang Attack", just like Trunks with "Burning Attack" and "Finish Buster". Cell keeps his "Kame Hame Ha" voice and the grunt used for Makankōsappō is restored. Rikum screams "Rikum Eraser Gun!" when performing this attack, and Krilin joins the Kame Hame Ha club, getting his own voice when performing the trademark attack of the Turtle School.

A very interesting case is the changes made for Android 18. She gets what could almost be described as  make over: Instead of her boring "Sora!" scream, now she has two interesting choices when performing her special attacks. One is the phrase "Uttoshine!", lifted from Super Sonic Warriors for GBA, and the other is "Jā ne, bye", her famous line from the original manga and anime (in the scene when she first kisses Krilin), also used for attacks in Dragonball Fighterz.

And finally, Freezer gets and additional voice, also from the source material and Dragonball Fighterz: "Ima sugu damara sete yaru zo" ("I'll have you shut up now" a reference to chapter 322 of the manga, and episode 99 of the anime)

As a bonus, there is also a small surprise in the intro, reminiscent of SNES' DB Super Butoden.

Download the patch HERE and check the new voices!

A short video with the changes can be found here: https://youtu.be/h1YKxSVCSwA

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
Whoa, amazing work! It's nice that you were finally able to implement both Super Ki Blast voice samples for each character, that's quite an accomplishment! Using this patch is the best way to play this game and the most definitive version of it. Congratulations once again for all of your hard work! It's truly paid off nicely! :thumbsup:
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
    • Jo Li KMC @ Tumblr
Well, if no one else is gonna say anything, then let me be the foist~

I think this project really brings the game up to the standards set by Super Butoden.  It's very obvious that Buyuu Retsuden was made specifically so kids who backed Sega instead of Nintendo could get in on the fast-and-furious fighting action Dragon Ball Z is known for, and while the base game is pretty great in and of itself, actually having almost every character say their attack names instead of just grunting or huffing really makes this game feel much closer to what kids got with their Super Famicom games.

I, personally, consider Buyuu Retsuden to be a hidden game among the Dragon Ball games, and it's really great to see it getting more love.  You guys ought'a be proud, 'cause even something as seemingly small as this can really make a game feel more alive.  Great job~!

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
And, I'm going to say something if no one else is, Freezer may or may not be what the proper transliteration of the name is, but it is now forever linked with Dragonball Z Abridged for me, so I got a larf out of this :)

"So are you that Freezer guy?" "I am Lord Freeza, yes."

Edit: Checked out the vid. Very nice. Especially good work on the Rikum Eraser Gun, it's matched up perfectly to his poses.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 05:09:20 pm by Spooniest »
Yamero~~!

marioxb

• View Profile

Update By: Kanon

The recent voice hack for Dragon Ball Z: Buyuu Retsuden has received a new update with lots of improvements!

The patch, previously known as "voice changes" has been renamed to "New Voices" to better reflect the modifications made to the game. While the previous version only swapped some voices for others (like removing Son Gohan's Kame Hame Ha, to make room for his voice for Masenkō) due to limitations in the sound driver, this new version bypasses that limitation, allowing the addition of voices without the need to remove anything.

The cumulative changes now include new voices for almost every character: Gohan now says "Masenko" (added in the previous version) AND "Kame Hame Ha" (restored), Piccolo adds "Gekiretsu Kodan" while keeping the "Makankōsappō", Vegeta now says both "Final Flash" AND "Big Bang Attack", just like Trunks with "Burning Attack" and "Finish Buster". Cell keeps his "Kame Hame Ha" voice and the grunt used for Makankōsappō is restored. Rikum screams "Rikum Eraser Gun!" when performing this attack, and Krilin joins the Kame Hame Ha club, getting his own voice when performing the trademark attack of the Turtle School.

A very interesting case is the changes made for Android 18. She gets what could almost be described as  make over: Instead of her boring "Sora!" scream, now she has two interesting choices when performing her special attacks. One is the phrase "Uttoshine!", lifted from Super Sonic Warriors for GBA, and the other is "Jā ne, bye", her famous line from the original manga and anime (in the scene when she first kisses Krilin), also used for attacks in Dragonball Fighterz.

And finally, Freezer gets and additional voice, also from the source material and Dragonball Fighterz: "Ima sugu damara sete yaru zo" ("I'll have you shut up now" a reference to chapter 322 of the manga, and episode 99 of the anime)

As a bonus, there is also a small surprise in the intro, reminiscent of SNES' DB Super Butoden.

Download the patch HERE and check the new voices!

A short video with the changes can be found here: https://youtu.be/h1YKxSVCSwA

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Sounds good! I've never watched Dragon Ball or played any DB games, but it seems like a retail released version so me, so great job!

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
While I'm not a fan of the Butoden style games of the franchise, the quality of this patch undeniably brings out a level of polish that wasn't there before, and is quite laudable for that. Bravo!