It’s been long since I’ve wanted to play Tail Concerto, but I’ve never managed to last longer than Resaca Harbor because of the grating voice acting. Finally, I managed to set aside some off-time to work on an undub so that I can finally enjoy the game playtesting the patch through, killing two birds with one stone. These are the fruits of my labour.
While this undub is fully playable, I still consider it unfinished, as it doesn’t cover everything it should.
I’ve restored all FMVs’ audio tracks to the original Japanese and subbed the videos. The subs are based on the official French subs from the PAL version, since I do not speak a lick of Japanese and the French version has a reputation of being more accurate to the original than the English dub. I couldn’t, however, fit the in-game cutscenes’ voiced lines in, since almost all of them are much longer in Japanese and the game only plays the lines for the exact length the English ones last. Fitting them in would require analyzing the game’s code and altering the lengths of each line, which is way over my league. All I could do was mute all the lines, like the French version did. The only extant remnants of the English dub are the groans, grunts and yelps that Waffle and the Black Cats let out in battle: those are stored in VAG (Very Audio Good) format, and it seems like there aren’t any existing tools that allow you to do anything with those except for extracting. Because of that, I wasn’t able to swap them with the Japanese sounds, nor could I mute them.
While this was a fun learning project and I don’t rule out making similar projects in the future, I won’t be coming back at this one since I found the game to be a tad underwhelming after I managed to play it. If you love Tail Concerto, though, I encourage you to pick up from where I left off and turn this into a fully-featured undub, or make your own from scratch. All assets and tools I used to make this patch are available on my Github
, together with an in-depth explanation of my findings.
This patch has been tested through on mednafen 1.27.0 and it’s bug-free. I also gave a go at my modchipped PSOne and it doesn’t seem like it has issues on real hardware either, though I didn’t test it there as throughly.
More details and patching instructions can be found on the release notes in the linked archive.