News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Poll

Who do you think is the strongest main Protagonist meaning lead male character in the Final Fantasy series?

Fighter/Knight
1 (2.9%)
Firion
1 (2.9%)
Luneth
0 (0%)
Cecil Harvey
12 (34.3%)
Bartz Kluzer
4 (11.4%)
Locke Cole
0 (0%)
Cloud Strife
6 (17.1%)
Squall Leonheart
3 (8.6%)
Zidane Tribal
3 (8.6%)
Tidus
5 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: The Strongest Lead Male in Final Fantasy.  (Read 6655 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: The Strongest Lead Male in Final Fantasy.
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2021, 08:16:33 am »
Bartz, even if he's not the most inteligent, is basically any character with cheat mode on.  He can do literally anything, in the later games he can even do Necromancy and Prophecy.  Mix can even make him a dragon.

Faris would still kick his butt though.

Lusofonia

• My Discord: Lusofonia#3041
    • View Profile
    • Lusofonia's profile at "Fórum Unificado"
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2021, 02:06:30 pm »
Bartz, even if he's not the most inteligent, is basically any character with cheat mode on.  He can do literally anything, in the later games he can even do Necromancy and Prophecy.  Mix can even make him a dragon.

V and Tactics have the best job systems in my opinion. Ramza has already been mentioned previously, but what about Marche from Tactics Advance? He can be really strong or really weak depending on how you grind him. He seems to be better suited for physical classes, not magical classes. That, or I just ain't good at that game >:(
I am a pancake, you should be a pancake too

deadlyblossom

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2021, 03:07:13 pm »

Faris would still kick his butt though.

No way. Faris is not gonna kick anyone's butt but monster's butt not Bartz but X-Death's butt.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2021, 04:29:12 pm »
No way. Faris is not gonna kick anyone's butt but monster's butt not Bartz but X-Death's butt.

I have been drunk on the regs since joining this site, and even I know how to parse English Grammar better than this. Come on. I have no idea what you just said.
Yamero~~!

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2021, 04:55:18 pm »
I have been drunk on the regs since joining this site, and even I know how to parse English Grammar better than this. Come on. I have no idea what you just said.
There is a possibility that he could not be a native english speaker, so don't blame him.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2021, 05:10:47 pm »
(Sigh)

Well, criticism makes you stronger
Yamero~~!

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2021, 08:10:19 pm »
(Sigh)

Well, criticism makes you stronger

It surely does.

Back on topic, did anyone mention Benjamin from Mystic Quest yet? I didn't like that one much because it didn't feel very "Final Fantasy", it felt like a different game. Like, a game pretending to be Final Fantasy without being it.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2021, 08:42:53 pm »
Idk why it is, but Mystic Quest always seemed like it started life as a Saga Game. Either that, or the team that made it went on to make the Gameboy Saga Games (Aka "Final Fantasy Legend.")

It was one of the first jobs Ted Woolsey had after he was brought on board as a translator at Squaresoft, but... I mean there's a saying that if it ain't on the page, it ain't on the stage, and there definitely just wasn't much on the page, here. Mystic Quest's story is the hottest garbage.
Yamero~~!

deadlyblossom

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2021, 09:05:28 pm »
Sooniest I am a native English speaker and I don't think you're drunk.

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2021, 02:29:07 am »
Idk why it is, but Mystic Quest always seemed like it started life as a Saga Game. Either that, or the team that made it went on to make the Gameboy Saga Games (Aka "Final Fantasy Legend.")

It was one of the first jobs Ted Woolsey had after he was brought on board as a translator at Squaresoft, but... I mean there's a saying that if it ain't on the page, it ain't on the stage, and there definitely just wasn't much on the page, here. Mystic Quest's story is the hottest garbage.

Yeah, Benjamin felt for the most part of the game like a generic shounen hero. He doesn't have any character development whatsoever. Now that you mention the SaGa games, how about the FF Legend trilogy on Game Boy? I and II probably don't count since they had parties comprised of generic classes, but at least III had proper characters. I think SaGa 1 was even remade for the Wonderswan.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2021, 02:38:36 am »
He doesn't have any character development whatsoever.

I love how the game starts with him saying to the Old Man "Where's my village?" and this is NEVER brought up again, right through the closing credits sequence.

Sooniest I am a native English speaker and I don't think you're drunk.

You don't know me very well do you!? Lol

If I'm not at work or going to work, I usually am getting tipsy. I used to be FAR more obnoxious than I even am, now. Heh.
Yamero~~!

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2021, 02:54:40 am »
I love how the game starts with him saying to the Old Man "Where's my village?" and this is NEVER brought up again, right through the closing credits sequence.

Maybe he shrugged to that, like he does throughout the whole game. Mystic Quest was aimed at newbies to JRPGs; that wasn't an excuse for Square making a mediocre game. I'm thinking Square did that on purpose, since they were the ones behind FF6 and Chrono Trigger. I'd like to mention CT here too, but since this thread is about Final Fantasy let's keep everything on-topic, shall we?

deadlyblossom

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2021, 10:12:52 am »
Yeah let's. So one question. You think Tidus is gonna teach 9 other lead males to play blitzball?

You know see if one of is stronger playing it.

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2021, 01:13:15 pm »
Yeah let's. So one question. You think Tidus is gonna teach 9 other lead males to play blitzball?
You know see if one of is stronger playing it.
If the others want to, maybe.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2021, 06:25:47 am »
I was going to say the same, most probably this is because the front-view battles, and also the development team being the same as FFL3/SaGa3, with the same "jump" functionality and other details making those 2 games alike. Heck, SaGa3 is more similar to FFMQ than it is from SaGa 1 and 2. The enemy encounter style in FFMQ is more reminicient of Romancing SaGa games than the random battles of both FF and the original SaGa trilogy.

Uberdubie

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2021, 07:42:48 am »
Voted Cecil.

He buried his past, redempted himself, became a paladin, defeated Zeromus, is a husband, a father, a king and a loyal friend.

^ This.

While all the options are heroes, it makes the most sense to me defining "strength" here as the content of one's character, and their evolution via story arc start to finish.

Out of the choices given, Cecil takes it by a mile.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2021, 02:44:10 am »
"Redempted"

Good God. It's "redeemed," I'm sorry but it drives me insane, ok

This thread by the way merely said "Strongest Male Lead" and it didn't specify whether there could be more than one in a game; Final Fantasy VI in fact is a game specifically designed to where any of the 14 main characters could have been the lead of their own game, and this has been covered in countless interviews and retrospectives by this point.

So why is Locke the only one on the poll? Also, would you like to see a list of my other 1,342,248,910 complaints lol

"Strongly written" Cecil and Ramza.

"Brute strength" That's gonna be Cloud.

"Strong smelling" is gonna be Umaro or Gau, I bet
Yamero~~!

deadlyblossom

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2021, 08:06:11 am »
Okay if you say so then I'll let Strago in the fun because he's the Blue Mage of 6 and if you don't have him in the party against foes who uses the lore technique you will find yourself regretting it later.

Happy now?

foiopaulo

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2021, 12:57:09 pm »
I'd have voted for Vaan (if he was in the poll), but honestly I don't like FF12's story that much. I mean, there are some moments in the game that you have the feeling that were written by a different person other than the writer for the rest of the game, it's so weird. Also, Vaan and Penelo don't make the plot go much forward but they are there nevertheless, just being dragged on, and on and on. Anyone else had this feeling with it? That game is not necessarily bad, just flawed. FF4 is one of the FFs with the best plots in my opinion, just like FF6.

Yeah, I do feel the same. They are just riding along. And I like pretty much every character more than both of them. Especially Basch.
Penelo is my least favorite char in the game, tbh.
FF12 isn't bad, but isn't great either... But I do like it more than FF13.

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2021, 04:28:57 pm »
Okay if you say so then I'll let Strago in the fun because he's the Blue Mage of 6 and if you don't have him in the party against foes who uses the lore technique you will find yourself regretting it later.
What about Cyan? Cyan is awesome, his only drawback is that he must keep charging his SwdTech attacks (meaning he can take hits while in charge), but other than that he's very strong.

Yeah, I do feel the same. They are just riding along. And I like pretty much every character more than both of them. Especially Basch.
Penelo is my least favorite char in the game, tbh.
FF12 isn't bad, but isn't great either... But I do like it more than FF13.
But Lightning from FF13 is a woman, she couldn't be in the poll. Or are you referring to Snow Villiers?