News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Poll

Who do you think is the strongest main Protagonist meaning lead male character in the Final Fantasy series?

Fighter/Knight
1 (2.9%)
Firion
1 (2.9%)
Luneth
0 (0%)
Cecil Harvey
12 (34.3%)
Bartz Kluzer
4 (11.4%)
Locke Cole
0 (0%)
Cloud Strife
6 (17.1%)
Squall Leonheart
3 (8.6%)
Zidane Tribal
3 (8.6%)
Tidus
5 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: The Strongest Lead Male in Final Fantasy.  (Read 7705 times)

Lusofonia

• My Discord: Lusofonia#3041
    • View Profile
    • Lusofonia's profile at "Fórum Unificado"
Re: The Strongest Lead Male in Final Fantasy.
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2021, 11:25:58 pm »
I know little about Final Fantasy, but I feel like the best test of strength would be to see which of these characters can suplex a train.

What I think of is the final movie where he does that one-armed pull-up while holding Tifa, which seems very improbable with those stick-arms – but eh, he's Mako-enhanced and whatnot, and he's probably working in a zone where gravity is funny, or something.

Judging by context, I think Cloud too can suplex a train if he wanted to, he just needs the right Materia for that.
I am a pancake, you should be a pancake too

KdstsMgsts

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2021, 12:07:29 am »
Surely it made of mithril or adamantium or some such?

What I think of is the final movie where he does that one-armed pull-up while holding Tifa, which seems very improbable with those stick-arms – but eh, he's Mako-enhanced and whatnot, and he's probably working in a zone where gravity is funny, or something.

There's a mythril sword in FF7 as well, so presumably the Buster Sword isn't made out of the same material. Adamant seems to be gold-coloured in FF7 (and most other FF games).

I'm not sure whether you'd count it as canon, but the FF7: Last Order anime suggests that two normal people can't lift the Buster Sword at all; it's only SOLDIER members who can do it.

When I first saw it, the scene where he does a one-armed pull up with Tifa surprised me too! Although it makes sense if he can spin the Buster Sword around. By that point, Cloud's strength stat is pretty high too. :thumbsup:

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2021, 04:07:20 am »
Where's Galuf?
That man went out like a champ by taking a beating and then broke out of a forcefield to save his granddaughter in the most epic fashion!

I guess I'll vote Butz ;)
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...
http://www.8bitfan.info/
FF4 Ultima Discord: https://discord.gg/4MqjwJt

JKPhage

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2021, 07:52:54 am »
I generally think these kind of polls are silly nonsense, because specific game mechanics and each game's unique setting make a 1:1 comparison nearly impossible. Hell, someone here already mentioned Sabin suplexing a train because the game mechanics let him suplex stuff and you fight a train, while in reality he may not be anywhere near that actual level of strength. Similarly, Bartz being able to change classes being used as an argument because he has the ability to do literally everything in terms of magic, healing, support and attack types, and even Cecil being a knight in a high fantasy setting that's somewhat realistic being compared to Tidus as a peak athlete that got even stronger in a setting that is somewhat beyond strict realism. Hell, even trying to compare magic ability when Cloud has access to materia that let's him use as much magic as he has MP for, where Squall has to draw magic and can literally run out with no way to replenish mid-battle makes using these kind of mechanics kind of disingenuous.

Mechanics aside, I'd say the best way to determine who would be "strongest" of the bunch is by looking at story-based, out of battle feats. Things like Squall and company being able to take down a being who absorbed all of time and space, or Cloud literally slicing an entire skyscraper in half come to mind. With all that considered, I waffled between Cloud and Squall, but had to come down on the side of Cloud, because of the aforementioned ability to slice literal buildings in half. If you're gonna argue your case using in-battle mechanics then it's a never-ending and unwinnable fight, because all of them can summon some manner of planet-obliterating orbital laser dragon in some manner or other in the later entries, and I'd wager that some of the earlier ones intended various dragon summons to be of similar power and scale. If we have to base it off of canonical feats of strength, I've yet to see anyone aside from Cloud pull something that ridiculous off. And I'm not even the slavering Cloud fanboy that a lot of FF7 fans are.

deadlyblossom

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2021, 08:56:33 am »
Oh C'mon you find Sabin Suplexing a train your great moment?

bukopandan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2021, 09:09:34 am »
Squall Leonhart, with his limit break blasting zone, he could split an entire planet by half if he wants to, ;D
My Youtube Channel where I demonstrate my mad video gaming skills. Kekekek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGPnfU4q12x6vEWXv4Ftq8Q/videos

foiopaulo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2021, 09:23:10 am »
I miss Vaan, but I'm aware that nobody would vote for him (not even himself).
Basch, on the other hand...

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2021, 10:10:13 am »
Define "Strong."

It seems everyone has taken it to literally mean "physical strength," but my first thought (being a writer) was to presume "strongly written." That would be a tough call, as none of the FF stories are all that well-written in my opinion. I used to think so when I was only comparing them to Super Mario Brothers, Legend of Zelda, or He-Man and The Masters of the Universe. But time has made a fool of me, as it tends to do to people.*

As far as "physical strength," none of the other characters have been genetically modified to be insanely strong before the story starts; Cloud takes the cake.

*However, if you do wanna throw Final Fantasy Tactics in the mix, Ramza is the best-written Final Fantasy protagonist, bar none. That story's a real page-turner honestly.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 10:16:27 am by Spooniest »
Yamero~~!

jimstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2021, 11:18:50 am »
Voted Cecil.

He buried his past, redempted himself, became a paladin, defeated Zeromus, is a husband, a father, a king and a loyal friend.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2021, 11:56:09 am »
Assuming this refers to the events in the storyline (rather than performance in Battle - where it's impossible to compare among different games) - I'd go for Cecil, because of the switch from Dark Knight to Paladin.

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2021, 12:31:41 pm »
Assuming this refers to the events in the storyline (rather than performance in Battle - where it's impossible to compare among different games) - I'd go for Cecil, because of the switch from Dark Knight to Paladin.
I miss Vaan, but I'm aware that nobody would vote for him (not even himself).
Basch, on the other hand...
I'd have voted for Vaan (if he was in the poll), but honestly I don't like FF12's story that much. I mean, there are some moments in the game that you have the feeling that were written by a different person other than the writer for the rest of the game, it's so weird. Also, Vaan and Penelo don't make the plot go much forward but they are there nevertheless, just being dragged on, and on and on. Anyone else had this feeling with it? That game is not necessarily bad, just flawed. FF4 is one of the FFs with the best plots in my opinion, just like FF6.

JKPhage

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2021, 01:21:34 pm »
Also, Vaan and Penelo don't make the plot go much forward but they are there nevertheless, just being dragged on, and on and on.

Remember when Balthier showed up and when asked who he was he replied "I'm the leading man."? He was right. Vaan ceased to be important in any way after that moment.

J^P

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2021, 01:57:22 pm »

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2021, 02:12:27 pm »
Remember when Balthier showed up and when asked who he was he replied "I'm the leading man."? He was right. Vaan ceased to be important in any way after that moment.

Ah, yeah, that scene. But more shallower than FFXII's Vaan is FFII's Firion. Seriously, we don't know anything about him in-game, most of the stuff we know about his personality came from supplementary materials like guides, books and etc. I mean, he's an orphan, but apparently he's cool with having lost his parents. Maria? She's... a girl. And that's it. Other than its shallow storyline, I also dislike II for the broken battle system. Attacking yourself over and over doesn't count as real grinding.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2021, 03:54:56 pm »
Physically or mentally/emotionally?
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2021, 07:47:39 pm »
Physically or mentally/emotionally?

The poll doesn't make that clear, so go with whichever one you want

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2021, 09:30:59 pm »
I demand Gilgamesh be added as lead for FF12, then demand a recount! This guy was robbed.

deadlyblossom

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2021, 09:05:22 am »
Ah, yeah, that scene. But more shallower than FFXII's Vaan is FFII's Firion. Seriously, we don't know anything about him in-game, most of the stuff we know about his personality came from supplementary materials like guides, books and etc. I mean, he's an orphan, but apparently he's cool with having lost his parents. Maria? She's... a girl. And that's it. Other than its shallow storyline, I also dislike II for the broken battle system. Attacking yourself over and over doesn't count as real grinding.

Oh please Maria was a hottie with beautiful long purple hair. Oh and about Cloud. He can only slice a motorcycle in half. And I ship him with Tifa due to their childhood friendship and that shipping is too popular. If only she admit her feeling to him saying that she loves thing would be different right. I mean Cloud's a knight and Tifa is a monk so you know the monk is second to the knight and we knew that right.

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2021, 10:00:21 am »
Oh please Maria was a hottie with beautiful long purple hair.
Red, if you use her NES sprite.

What about 3? No one has commented on it yet. One thing I felt it was that even with the DS remake the 4 characters were still too hollow. Maybe I'm the only one who has this feeling. III also felt a bit grindy, but not as grindy as other JRPGs from its time.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2021, 02:12:45 am »
(...)even with the DS remake the 4 characters were still too hollow. Maybe I'm the only one who has this feeling.

You are not. Luneth, Arc, Refia and Ingus are window dressing on an otherwise bland story having the vaguest of suggestions of the story of the Valar from the Silmarillion. (Xande, Dorga and Unne standing in for Melkor, Manwe and Varda, as near as I can figure out). However, none of that comes out in the narrative itself, which I'm still trying to suss out the theme of to this day. "Darkness and Light need to stay in balance?" Yeah duh, otherwise how can I see the TV to play Nintendo? It's dumb, and while it may seem slight, it's kind of the worst review I can give to a story. It fails to make me care about it.
Yamero~~!