News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Mega Man 7 Refit Gets "Custom Fit" Update  (Read 4189 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Mega Man 7 Refit Gets "Custom Fit" Update
« on: July 12, 2021, 08:17:59 pm »

Update By: Josephine Lithius

Remember that fun little ROM hack for Mega Man 7?  The one that was released three years ago and made the game play a little more like the older games in the series?  Well, it finally got an update, and it's a doozy!

Josephine Lithius (formerly "Joseph Collins") decided it was high time to stop putting off something very important.  Going forward, it's been decided that… the Life and Weapon Energy Capsules, and even the 1ups, should look like they do in the older games!

In all seriousness, on top of some more altered graphics and changed text strings, this version also makes a big change to the damage data tables.  Inspired by the older games, the Charged Mega Buster Shot has been made a tiny bit more powerful, doing 3 damage to normal enemies instead of 2!  But wait, there's more!

Thanks to user interest, the main patch now comes with optional customization patches for all the different tweaks and features available!  That means players now have the option of full control over what modifications they make to their game!  Like the faster Charge Shot but not the new title screen?  Think the shorter I-frames and Rush's invulnerability make the game too easy?  Pick and choose to your heart's content!  The mini-patches even work with US-based ROM hacks!  This means that it's possible to have a better Charge Shot in "Mega Man 7 Restored", or even make the game more merciful with longer I-frames and "Nerfed Spikes"!  Wow!!

For fans of Mega Man 7 looking for something new, or fans of "Refit" looking for some true customization options, this update is for you!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
Re: ROM Hacks: Mega Man 7 Refit Gets "Custom Fit" Update
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 10:01:13 pm »
The weaker buster in MM7 has bothered me for years!
I'm very glad this hack exists and will make sure to play it, love the changes here.

Supergamerguy

• Studio Ghibli fanatic, lover of all things MegaMan
    • View Profile
    • Supergamerguy's Romhacks
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 11:06:10 pm »
It means you are not a good player, the problem comes from you.

That's unnecessarily toxic and judgemental. Red Soul's small nitpick does not automatically make him a bad player by any means. I can see why your username is what it is now.

I don't agree with his opinions of the original game (based on his review of this hack), but that doesn't mean he's wrong for thinking that way. But somehow it was enough for you to make your second post ever on the site. :P
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 11:12:02 pm by Supergamerguy »
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

Sprite:D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 03:38:31 am »
That's unnecessarily toxic and judgemental. Red Soul's small nitpick does not automatically make him a bad player by any means. I can see why your username is what it is now.

I don't agree with his opinions of the original game (based on his review of this hack), but that doesn't mean he's wrong for thinking that way. But somehow it was enough for you to make your second post ever on the site. :P
What is unfair? Most common definition is, "the game establishes a rule and then breaks it". The original, "weak" buster is established right since the Intro Stage and as tested by my friend, it can even beat the final boss without taking any damage if the player is skilled. A good player, by definition, is one that mastered the game in some way. Not being able to master the vanilla game (original vision of the professional developers that were in the industry for years, unless proven otherwise) and needing a patch to enjoy it is by definition not a person who mastered a player, therefore, not a good player. Whether his remark was right socially is another question - it may be rather out of place and rude to some people, but he was not wrong about Red Soul's skill on this game.

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 04:13:47 am »
My skill level is not even on topic here. The fact is the charged buster does less damage on this game than it does on the games prior to it. The direction of the conversation has gone way off track and frankly sounds very childish overall.

InAnotherCastle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 05:26:24 am »
My skill level is not even on topic here. The fact is the charged buster does less damage on this game than it does on the games prior to it. The direction of the conversation has gone way off track and frankly sounds very childish overall.

I agree with your sentiment regarding this hack. It's exciting and I may decide to test some of the features, perhaps even creating a repro cart with the hacks that makes sense to stand alongside my Rockman 7 original.

And let's remember that while a person who has mastered game mechanics and the art of having the correct opinion always, this person maybe less skilled in the somewhat superficial game of social awareness. This can often lead to conflict as a result of perceived aggression. I'm certainly guilty :-)

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
    • Jo Li KMC @ Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 06:08:37 am »
The weaker buster in MM7 has bothered me for years!
I'm very glad this hack exists and will make sure to play it, love the changes here.
Fantastic!  Thank you for your kind words – both here and in your review!

Honestly, this hack started out exclusively as a modification for the Charge Shot and I-Frames because I was bothered by the increased charge time and decreased I-frames, too.  Mega Man 7 is a really great game, and one can just as soon play it using only the weapons and Super Adapter, as I usually did.  Luckily, though, an idle thought became a project thanks to the help of one DarkSamus993.  And, once DS993 got more interested in poking around at values, more was able to be changed and the scope expanded outward into something I'm really happy to have made!

It means you are not a good player, the problem comes from you.
Ya know, the last time I told someone something along those lines, they disowned me as a friend.  And I was kidding with them.  (,:

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 07:07:40 am »
Funnily, no one establishes it as a "problem" to begin with. Just something someone personally considers bothersome.
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

Stifu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 10:50:28 am »
Not being able to master the vanilla game (original vision of the professional developers that were in the industry for years, unless proven otherwise) and needing a patch to enjoy it is by definition not a person who mastered a player, therefore, not a good player.

What if you could master the game but don't want to spend the extra time because you don't consider it worth it? It's not just about skills, but how much time and efforts you're willing to devote to it.

Eldrethor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 11:24:50 am »
I could probably do a zero-damage run in Megaman X4 if I really tried, but I don't care; I just want to smash baddies, get upgrades, and play with new weapons. All that matters to me is whether or not I'm getting enjoyment from a game.

The nerfed buster shot in Megaman 7 is annoying, but I felt that it never really messed with the pacing or the difficulty of the game. That being said, the buff is a really nice change.

If anything, what bothers me more is how bosses will mindlessly loop single attack patterns when you hit them with whatever weapon they're weak against. Sure, it's a huge advantage, but it removes way too much threat in some cases (e.g. Cloud Man), and their invincibility frames mean you can't just flat-out steamroll them, so those fights feel long and drawn out.

CO_Andy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2021, 01:39:43 pm »
My general rule is not to gatekeep people from enjoying a game the way they want to experience it. As long as it doesn't negatively impact someone else's experience, then i don't see the problem.

Also this is a rom hacking site for crying out loud. What a silly thing to complain about on a site dedicated to customization.

Memorex

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2021, 05:03:48 pm »
Something about this game has always felt kinda "off" to me, especially compared to X. Perhaps it's time to give it another go with this hack  :)

One thing that always bothered me is the way Megamans foot goes through the ground when landing a jump. Small detail, but I just can't unsee it...  :laugh:

kaiisen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2021, 01:53:25 am »
Quote from: Josephine Lithius
Ya know, the last time I told someone something along those lines, they disowned me as a friend.  And I was kidding with them.  (,:

He has only two posts though, so I doubt he said it out friendly.

I'd completely missed this hack, the sprite change is enough for me to try it.

Thank you!

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2021, 02:23:28 am »
Something about this game has always felt kinda "off" to me, especially compared to X. Perhaps it's time to give it another go with this hack  :)

One thing that always bothered me is the way Megamans foot goes through the ground when landing a jump. Small detail, but I just can't unsee it...  :laugh:

Little details like this also catch my eye, so I know what you mean!

Edit: I wonder if it would be possible to make this wonderful hack compatible with the patch that makes all the 8 bosses available from the start. If so, it would improve the feeling of continuity with older games that this aims to bring.

That said, I do realize MM7 has specific stage gimmicks that disallow play out of order; still, it would be really cool to see that changed so stages could be completed as the player sees fit.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 06:18:25 am by Red Soul »

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2021, 09:06:04 am »
If anything, what bothers me more is how bosses will mindlessly loop single attack patterns when you hit them with whatever weapon they're weak against. Sure, it's a huge advantage, but it removes way too much threat in some cases (e.g. Cloud Man), and their invincibility frames mean you can't just flat-out steamroll them, so those fights feel long and drawn out.
Yes! I adore Mega Man 7 (it's probably my favorite Mega Man game, period) but this always bothered me. It seems to only  happen in this game, and it makes the bosses far too easy. Would love to see someone disable this.

lilpuddy31

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2021, 01:27:29 pm »
Speaking of bothersome little details, I love vanilla MM7 but the way MegaMan aims his Mega Buster when charging it seems very out of place for me, he doesn't do it in any other game...

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
Re: ROM Hacks: Mega Man 7 Refit Gets \"Custom Fit\" Update
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2021, 04:21:28 pm »
Speaking of bothersome little details, I love vanilla MM7 but the way MegaMan aims his Mega Buster when charging it seems very out of place for me, he doesn't do it in any other game...

You mean how he keeps the buster outstretched as he charges? yeah weird. Would be cool to see that changed too somehow.

July 14, 2021, 04:23:06 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Yes! I adore Mega Man 7 (it's probably my favorite Mega Man game, period) but this always bothered me. It seems to only  happen in this game, and it makes the bosses far too easy. Would love to see someone disable this.

Yep. I always thought it should be different. The boss takes more damage sure, but instead of becoming easier, they should fight harder instead to compensate for the extra damage they are taking.

Edit: The Beat Call description message by Auto seems to be missing a control call and a lot of text appears in at once. It only happened once and I couldn't isolate it yet, but I'll start a new playthrough and see if it happens. It might have to do with the museum boss flag somehow.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 02:26:22 am by Red Soul »

Eldrethor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2021, 10:27:57 am »
Yep. I always thought it should be different. The boss takes more damage sure, but instead of becoming easier, they should fight harder instead to compensate for the extra damage they are taking.

It's a good thought, but fighting harder would level out the advantage that the weapon is supposed to provide. Earning a weapon and figuring out boss weaknesses should be rewarding, but not if just makes the standard Buster the safer option for the next boss.

If anything, baseline boss difficulty could be tweaked. Maybe faster movement/projectile speed, or more damage. One of things about older Megaman games is that many bosses are exceedingly brutal with the Mega Buster alone, and the weapons you gain are intended to compensate for that.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 03:00:23 pm by Eldrethor »

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2021, 10:33:12 pm »
It's a good thought, but fighting harder would level out the advantage that the weapon is supposed to provide. Earning a weapon and figuring out boss weaknesses should be rewarding, but not if just makes the standard Buster the safer option for the next boss.

If anything, baseline boss difficulty could be tweaked. Maybe faster movement/projectile speed, or more damage. One of things about older Megaman games is that many bosses are exceedingly brutal with the Mega Buster alone, and the weapons you gain are intended to compensate for that.

You have good points, though fine tuning the AI would be rather challenging to maintain a good level of balance. Maybe this is outside of the scope of the hack.

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
    • Jo Li KMC @ Tumblr
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2021, 02:47:03 am »
If anything, what bothers me more is how bosses will mindlessly loop single attack patterns when you hit them with whatever weapon they're weak against.
I considered doing that.  It would definitely make the game more challenging and kind of counter-balance the other "game softening" changes we've made.  I'll look into it!

Hate to tell ya, but that's a complete normal thing in most games…

… 'cept this one and, I think, Mega Man 8.  The backgrounds are more "3D-ish" on those games.
I get it, though.  It's like Mario falling through the level when he dies.  Weird.

Edit: I wonder if it would be possible to make this wonderful hack compatible with the patch that makes all the 8 bosses available from the start. If so, it would improve the feeling of continuity with older games that this aims to bring.
Those two patches should be compatible, already.  At the very least, you could use the mini-patches over that one?  And failing that, there's always that "special start" password, I suppose…

Huh.  You're right.  I thought he did it in Rockman & Forte – the coding of which was largely based on Mega Man 7 – but nope.
Anyway, I think I'd need to talk with DS933, again, on that front.  There's probably a way to get Megaman to use his "Protoshield" charge animation – which doesn't have him hold the Buster out, even when he's walking.  There might potentially be a problem with the ending, though.  It uses the same call functions as normal gameplay.  That means Megaman just starts glowing without threatening Wily with his Buster.

Edit: The Beat Call description message by Auto seems to be missing a control call and a lot of text appears in at once. It only happened once and I couldn't isolate it yet, but I'll start a new playthrough and see if it happens. It might have to do with the museum boss flag somehow.
Mm…  I can't seem to get that to happen in either the "text fixes" patch or the "complete" patch.  The only thing I haven't tried is overlaying the "text fixes" patch on top of SCD's "Restoration" patch because Restoration has its own dialogue changes.  What patches are you using?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 06:12:56 am by Josephine Lithius »