News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: German translation patch for Getsu Fuuma Den (NES)  (Read 713 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: TanaElmsley

There are situations in life when you prefer to dip your toes into something and test the waters first, and then there are situations when you just plunge in head first without truly knowing what you are getting into. This translation patch for the Famicom/NES action RPG Getsu Fuuma Den definitely is a case of the latter.

Tana Elmsley had done a translation of Getsu Fuuma Den on paper for a friend who wanted to play the game and somehow or other she found her way to ROMhacking.net to see if someone wanted to use the translation to write a German translation patch. Feldherren kindly offered her help and without knowing what she was getting into Tana started working on the patch. Turns out that about three weeks after having visited ROMhacking.net for the first time she can now proudly present her first translation patch: a German version of Getsu Fuuma Den.

The patch is a new translation of the Japanese text including all menus and graphics. References that wouldn’t be understood by non-Japanese players were localized. Otherwise the translation tries to stay as true to the original as possible and also keeps the NPCs’ somewhat shrewd humor intact. The readme is available in both German and English.

Concerning the hacking this project would hardly have been possible without Nebulous Translations who allowed the use and modification of the development tools they had written for their earlier English patch for the same game. Tana Elmsley tweaked the password function but otherwise no changes were made to those tools and they were a great help.

The author is happy to make Getsu Fuuma Den available to a wider audience and hopes that many more people may enjoy this old little gem of a game. If you are interested in Japanese mythology or simply want to try out a somewhat different action RPG you should definitely give this one a shot. After all, you can hardly go wrong with a Famicom/NES game proudly bearing the Konami trademark!

Tana had a lot of fun working on the patch and learned much more than she had hoped for. Currently she is helping Pennywise with (re-)translating the Nekketsu games but doesn’t have any bigger project of her own planned for now. She might, however, translate other (Super) Famicom games she takes a fancy to, in the future.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

fireball

• View Profile
Re: Translations: German translation patch for Getsu Fuuma Den (NES)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 01:20:58 pm »
Gratulation! :thumbsup:

TanaElmsley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 03:23:40 pm »
Gratulation! :thumbsup:

Thank you! I was very lucky since there were tools available for this game. I don't know how successful we would have been otherwise. I really do have a lot of respect for all of you doing this from scratch! But translating the game was a lot of fun and I feel like there is a lot to learn in this community.

Felipefpl

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 04:20:07 pm »
Thank you! I was very lucky since there were tools available for this game. I don't know how successful we would have been otherwise. I really do have a lot of respect for all of you doing this from scratch! But translating the game was a lot of fun and I feel like there is a lot to learn in this community.

1st - kongrats on your translation, may this one be the 1st of many.

2nd - dont lose your heart/strength because of one or another troll you'll surely find here.  :thumbsup:
Core i7 Celeron Sandy Bridge G460 1.8 Ghz - 4 GB RAM - Win7 Home Premium x64 - Intel HD Graphics 2000 Onboard