News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Loading a rom hack onto a DS cartridge  (Read 701 times)

DenilCartel

• View Profile
Loading a rom hack onto a DS cartridge
« on: July 15, 2021, 08:16:00 am »
Hey, I've been looking around for tutorials on the internet for this predicament I'm having but nothing seems to apply. I want to load a file of Drayano's rom hacked version of Pokemon Platinum (Renegade Platinum) but as i previously stated I cant find any videos helping me. Is there maybe someone more technologically inclined on this sub that can help me?

J^P

• View Profile
Re: Loading a rom hack onto a DS cartridge
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 08:33:16 am »
You need flashcard like R4 or DSTT.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 09:53:21 am »
Alternatively, a hacked DSi or hacked 3DS will do the job nicely.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 10:47:50 am »
I don't know that I would necessarily suggest anything with R4 in the name (though some of the non timebomb wood based stuff might do), and DSTT/TTDS was always the byword for awful quality but cheap and could just about get it done.

If the hack is small you might also be able to port it to cheats -- the DS binary are copied to RAM to run, as are files in general. Most cheat engines break down after about 60 codes, some less than that, but for some hacks of a few bytes here and there that can be enough. Theoretically you could also pair it with a GBA flash cart (the GBA cart is visible in memory, 32 megs of space then available) and do redirects or indeed turn it into a DS code flash cart (GBA slot methods were how things were first done) but let's not go there.
Anyway I don't know what this does and pokemon being involved means I care even less but most hacks I see on that front are rather more change happy than some others (nice GUI tools means fairly large changes to a lot of things).

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 03:18:39 pm »
I don't know that I would necessarily suggest anything with R4 in the name (though some of the non timebomb wood based stuff might do), and DSTT/TTDS was always the byword for awful quality but cheap and could just about get it done.
The R4i 3DS Gold Plus was once the most frequently-recommended card, particularly since it lacked a timebomb, was not blacklisted on stock firmware, and could easily be used for the 3DS ntrboot exploit.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!