News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Has this ever happened to you?  (Read 1429 times)

BlackPaladin

• View Profile
Has this ever happened to you?
« on: January 14, 2022, 02:26:01 am »
I don't know if this is allowed on the board, but if it isn't, I apologize.

A few days ago, I had someone on the board contact me out of the blue about my attempt at working on the FDS game, "Dracula  II: Noroi no Fuuin".  This person had said he/she was willing to translate the game if I have the script/tools handy.  Well, as soon I was received this person's message, I started to reply... but this person blocked me IMMEDIATELY after sending me the message.

Seriously?  I mean... wow, that was just plain rude.

I don't know if there's any protocol for this type of situation, but I guess all I can do is just move on.

Too bad, a translator would've been nice.  :(

As for the person in question, I won't name names here.  (That info will go to any moderators who want to know.)

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Has this ever happened to you?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 09:10:04 am »
I get PMs for things that would probably be better served on the forums (I am but one person, many others even better than I am at hacking also frequent here and can offer ideas and perspectives) from time to time but never had that.

Personally I would just be thankful that they took themselves out of the running and you did not start down a project and wind up with it all being for nothing.

phonymike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 02:53:21 pm »
There's been at least one time where I responded to a post, and I went into detail posting a response with lots of information. It probably took me at least half an hour to type up the response. Soon, maybe a few days later, the person deleted the post and thus all of my information with it. :o

filler

• RHDN Supporter
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 10:13:02 pm »
I kind of miss when the default on this forum was to haze every noob so hard that it eliminated wasting time on folks who weren't worth the effort.

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 11:15:43 am »
I kind of miss when the default on this forum was to haze every noob so hard that it eliminated wasting time on folks who weren't worth the effort.
That's probably why so few people romhack anymore.

What really bothers me is when people ask questions, get useful feedback, then edit their original post and replace the title with something like "Delete me". There goes all that info, meaning someone has to ask the question again later.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 12:07:32 am »
There's been at least one time where I responded to a post, and I went into detail posting a response with lots of information. It probably took me at least half an hour to type up the response. Soon, maybe a few days later, the person deleted the post and thus all of my information with it. :o
The only people who should have the ability to delete posts are mods.
The ability for regular users to delete posts was removed VERY quickly in this forum's lifespan as it was abused VERY quickly.
I can't recall that, just the extreme of The Attitude Barn which seems to have been safely wiped from existence. That place was a war zone that threatened to eliminating everyone! :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

filler

• RHDN Supporter
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 09:30:42 am »
I can't recall that, just the extreme of The Attitude Barn which seems to have been safely wiped from existence. That place was a war zone that threatened to eliminating everyone! :P

Potato/potahto. :)

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 10:54:49 am »

To hear some tell it that we don't find the table, pointers, markup, sort any extra character issues and make a nice GUI, possibly in visual basic, for a translation project they want to do (direct API calls to google translate of course) that such a scenario is still in place.

phonymike

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 01:37:33 pm »
The only people who should have the ability to delete posts are mods.

I don't recall the thread breaking any rules, this was a while ago. Maybe a mod deleted it or maybe it was moved but I couldn't find it or my reply.

Good thing The Attitude Barn (before my time?) didn't destroy us all.