News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: [Solved] Final Fantasy Adventure - Where are these graphics used?  (Read 886 times)

xenophile

• View Profile
Solved. Thank you Ok Impala!

They are used by some basic weapon attacks, starting with the sickle. My attempt to mark those frames for visibility was only partially successful... I used transparent rather than black and then ignored the oddity during my play-through.

Original
I'm doing a hack of Final Fantasy Adventure (sprite and text changes), but there are three graphics of the main character in sprite sheets (and I see them in the ROM) that I have not seen in a full play-through. I could replace these blind, but I would prefer to know how they are used first. They look... kinda like the character is face-palming?

Can anyone tell me where the third, fourth, and fifth graphics from the left of the bottom row in this sprite sheet appear?

« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 02:32:52 am by xenophile »

aqualung

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy Adventure - Where are these graphics used?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 02:35:20 pm »
I'm doing a hack of Final Fantasy Adventure (sprite and text changes), but there are three graphics of the main character in sprite sheets (and I see them in the ROM) that I have not seen in a full play-through. I could replace these blind, but I would prefer to know how they are used first. They look... kinda like the character is face-palming?

Can anyone tell me where the third, fourth, and fifth graphics from the left of the bottom row in this sprite sheet appear?

I think the fifth one is when you climb vines up (or down) and the next ones are when you max your attack gauge and you do an attack in which the character "flies" through the screen in a straight line wielding the sword (I recall being different kinds of attacks depending on which weapon you've equipped).

No idea about the third and fourth, though (perhaps when using a magic spell?).

xenophile

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy Adventure - Where are these graphics used?
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 06:18:36 pm »
Thanks for the guesses, aqualung.

Yes, the sixth through ninth are the sword special attack. Those were some of the most fun to do because they look so silly when you can see them clearly.

Climbing vines looks to me like the standard two walking frames for walking north.

I just tried casting all of the spells. There are a few frames that blink by very quickly, but for the frames that display for more than 1/60 of a second the game uses standard attack frames.

It could be that these were used in Seiken Densetsu but removed for Final Fantasy Adventure? Or not actually used in either?

I may just finish this up, release, and wait to see if anyone reports seeing them. They should be really easy to spot (for me, and anyone who plays my hack) because I drew Xs through them to make them really obvious. Still, I feel like it will be incomplete unless I find these.