News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Homebrew Sonic for Atari 2600  (Read 1609 times)

Kreecher

• View Profile
Homebrew Sonic for Atari 2600
« on: July 05, 2021, 03:50:22 pm »
Hey. First time poster. I just downloaded the ROM for a game called Zippy the Porcupine. It's a Sonic the Hedgehog clone for Atari 2600 and really pretty cool.

I'm a little surprised this particular homebrew isn't listed anywhere on this site, either in downloads or discussion boards; especially since it came out in 2017.

I hope I'm not breaking rules by posting the official link to download, as it is from the actual homebrewer of the game and on the AtariAge website. If I'm not supposed to show the actual link (my apologies), then I would just do a Google search on Zippy the Porcupine and atariage.

Anyway, here is the official (not pirated) link to download the zip file:
https://atariage.com/forums/topic/269247-zippy-the-porcupine-binary-released/

Supergamerguy

• Studio Ghibli fanatic, lover of all things MegaMan
    • View Profile
    • Supergamerguy's Romhacks
Re: Homebrew Sonic for Atari 2600
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 07:52:30 pm »
Hey. First time poster. I just downloaded the ROM for a game called Zippy the Porcupine. It's a Sonic the Hedgehog clone for Atari 2600 and really pretty cool.

I'm a little surprised this particular homebrew isn't listed anywhere on this site, either in downloads or discussion boards; especially since it came out in 2017.

I hope I'm not breaking rules by posting the official link to download, as it is from the actual homebrewer of the game and on the AtariAge website. If I'm not supposed to show the actual link (my apologies), then I would just do a Google search on Zippy the Porcupine and atariage.

Anyway, here is the official (not pirated) link to download the zip file:
https://atariage.com/forums/topic/269247-zippy-the-porcupine-binary-released/

I've played it myself, but I havent seen anything about it either. Hopefully some would be able to clear up why that is soon.
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

gamingcat02261991

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 08:45:39 pm »
Kreecher, I just hope that Sega doesn't place a DMCA on the creator of Zippy like Nintendo did after Chris Spry made Princess Rescue, a clone-like port of Super Mario Bros. The reason why I said that was due to watching a DYKG video on Super Mario Fangames that were given DMCAs by Nintendo (with at least 15+ fangames having been affected, according to the video).

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 08:07:29 am »
AtariAge is probably a better resting spot for Atari homebrews, as that is where the devs can make money off of cartridges if they wish (outside of itch.io and such anyway).  By the way my highest recommendation for Juno First, Dragon's Descent, and Wizard of Wor Arcade.  There's also a nifty version of Berzerk on there that uses voice samples from the original.  I'm still waiting for the store update that enables you to buy ROM files, maybe they decided not to.

Kreecher, I just hope that Sega doesn't place a DMCA on the creator of Zippy like Nintendo did after Chris Spry made Princess Rescue, a clone-like port of Super Mario Bros. The reason why I said that was due to watching a DYKG video on Super Mario Fangames that were given DMCAs by Nintendo (with at least 15+ fangames having been affected, according to the video).
1. Homebrews and Fangames are two different things.  On top of that, Sega consoles tend to be hombrew magnets these days.

2. Calm the heck down.  DKYG is hardly best knowledge, Zippy's old, and Sega's better about this stuff.  Sonic Retro gets to put out actual ROMs with Sega's complete knowledge while they employed Taxman, after all.

And yet again... https://twitter.com/OfficialMFGG/status/1121019925521489920
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 06:20:07 pm by Chronosplit »

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 10:54:54 am »
The site only knows what the individuals at it know. Also, being on the 2600, I doubt it looks close enough to, or stage design even begins to resemble, an official game anyway.

I can't recall anything, but has Sega ever gone after emulation? I mean, a former employee made an emulator, that hasn't updated since he was re-employed in 2011, and still seems to be standard bearer for Genesis emulators so far, despite how outdated it is with modern Windows OS's(you need to checkmark a box in the compatibility options to be allowed to go full screen on some systems). I know emulators themselves(and patches) aren't the issue, so much as the roms are, but I don't recall Sega caring about rom sites(possibly because Saturn emulation would have been impossible at the time).

There's a Youtube channel I watch every so often, and when they talk about gaming, they actually say "Sega is notorious for shutting down fan projects" while giving 2 examples, and I'd never heard of the Phantasy Star one. The other is the obvious, Streets of Rage Remake. That's one of the oddest cases though. Bomber Games wasn't exactly hiding what they were doing for 8 years, and as I'd heard, even had contact with Sega the whole 8 years(I doubt you'd get the story from either side though). They put out a 4.2 and nothing for years. 5.0 comes out, and a week later comes the DMCA. Has any project Nintendo shut down made it past a day or 2 beforehand, let alone a week? Then, this November, the game had a 5.2 update. DMCA'd projects aren't typically allowed an update. (that said, at least someone cared enough to make a fan game for a series that could use a new game, instead of the usual Pokemon, Mario, Sonic, etc.)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 11:56:05 am »
Has any project Nintendo shut down made it past a day or 2 beforehand, let alone a week? Then, this November, the game had a 5.2 update. DMCA'd projects aren't typically allowed an update.
I've completely lost track of it, but I understand AM2R is still pretty easy to find and has received a bunch of "unofficial" updates since its initial release.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 08:46:43 am »
1.5 was the latest I've found.

That's another one, not as badly needed at the time it was worked on as a fan game for a trilogy that was on a single console, but still a scarce enough franchise that it makes more sense than what does typically get a fan game. Hell, if it wasn't for Dread, the franchise would have missed the Switch like it did the 64.