News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

ID'ing 1200+ 8x16 kanji

Started by Pennywise, July 02, 2021, 06:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pennywise

Would anyone be so kind to ID all these kanji? It would be greatly appreciated.

rafaelguerrero

It all depends on the type of console of the game but the programs that I recommend are yychr and hex editor

Bonesy

Quote from: rafaelguerrero on July 02, 2021, 07:18:36 PM
It all depends on the type of console of the game but the programs that I recommend are yychr and hex editor
what? do not quote the scripture to the man who knows it all

rafaelguerrero

Just because I don't have a high rank here and advanced knowledge in translations does not mean that I am a clown at least I give my opinion to help
>:( >:(

Bonesy

he is asking someone to identify characters in a language based on a font

not how to hack

rafaelguerrero

I already looked for this language, they are Chinese letters

Bonesy

Cyneprepou4uk

Pennywise

rafaelguerrero, please don't post if you don't understand my request or are unable to help.

And for the love of god, someone please lock or delete this thread.

aishsha

Quote from: rafaelguerrero on July 03, 2021, 01:35:53 PM
I already looked for this language, they are Chinese letters
I've got take a screenshot of this.

nejimakipiyo

Quote from: Pennywise on July 02, 2021, 06:45:30 PM
Would anyone be so kind to ID all these kanji? It would be greatly appreciated.

Sure, I'll do it. I don't have a whole lot of time until Sunday evening but I'll pick away at it. Hope that works for you.

I just need to clarify what, specifically, you're asking for.

Do you want them listed with their translation?
Do you want them transcribed exactly as they are in the image?
Or (this is what I'm thinking most likely) do you want them listed all in a column as in a table file?

Pennywise

Hey, thanks for the offer.

There's actually a google doc with the WIP ID so far, though not too many have been ID'd yet.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XGWYyFnD2R7oa5Td7GXr0AH2s1O4E4EHpqHmMhHqfiQ/edit

That would be the best place to ID them.

nejimakipiyo

Cool. I'll start filling it in as I verify them.

The website that Cyneprepou4uk linked is a helpful asset, but so far I've found 2-5 mistakes per line so it's not perfectly reliable. It has certainly reduced the time it will take me to do this, though. (Thanks, Cyneprepou4uk!)

July 03, 2021, 10:02:17 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

I'm fairly certain there's an error in the doc you linked. I ID'd 021B as 煙 but it's 壁 in the doc. Doesn't look right to me.

Pennywise

Thanks, this'll be a big help.

Feel free to make corrections.

aqualung

Quote from: nejimakipiyo on July 03, 2021, 09:51:17 PM
Cool. I'll start filling it in as I verify them.

The website that Cyneprepou4uk linked is a helpful asset, but so far I've found 2-5 mistakes per line so it's not perfectly reliable. It has certainly reduced the time it will take me to do this, though. (Thanks, Cyneprepou4uk!)

July 03, 2021, 10:02:17 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

I'm fairly certain there's an error in the doc you linked. I ID'd 021B as 煙 but it's 壁 in the doc. Doesn't look right to me.

You could also use a windows standalone program called "capture2text" and check if it's more accurate on the kanji recognition. I used it for my Idea no Hi playthrough and, while not perfect, it had a decent hit-or-miss ratio to me.

raehik

This looked fun, so I added my 2 yen. Done by sight. Some I'm unsure about -- those have a (?) appended.

nejimakipiyo

Quote from: raehik on July 04, 2021, 11:55:20 AM
This looked fun, so I added my 2 yen. Done by sight. Some I'm unsure about -- those have a (?) appended.

Thanks for joining in! It really is fun, isn't it?
And it's quite a big task, so I'm glad I'm not the only one working on this.  ;D

BTW, all your suggestions with a (?) by them were correct, so I removed the (?) as I saw them.
I did find and correct a couple of other errors as I was going through, but as I have no idea how many of us are IDing these kanji I've no idea whose they were.
Suffice to say I'm checking everything as I go, since I know where I leave off.
Hopefully someone can come around to fill in the gaps I'm leaving too! :laugh:

Pennywise

I suppose if there's any kanji that might stump you when you're done, I could post an example from the script where it's used. Anyhow, appreciate all the help so far.

nejimakipiyo

Quote from: Pennywise on July 04, 2021, 09:58:39 PM
I suppose if there's any kanji that might stump you when you're done, I could post an example from the script where it's used. Anyhow, appreciate all the help so far.

Context would definitely be helpful for the tricky ones!

July 05, 2021, 09:25:06 AM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Looks like a few folks were working on this while I was asleep and most of it is done now. Still a handful of gaps to fill in (which I'll work on later) but I wanted to verify something with you, Pennywise.
I filled in a gap near the very end of the doc, but I think some of the kanji are out of alignment with the bytes that represent them. I think I know where the mistake is but before I make corrections (in case I'm wrong) can you show me a screenshot of 06D0? If I'm right, it should be the katakana ッ. And if that's the case, some of the IDs need to be shifted around.

Pennywise

Yes, you are correct. It seems the game decided to use that space for what some call "Squishy" tiles.

I've fixed it to the best of my ability.