News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Translations: Starfire Translated to English!  (Read 1195 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Starfire Translated to English!
« on: June 26, 2021, 08:14:08 am »

Update By: kinezumi

Starfire is an action RPG for PC-9800, initially designed by Winston Douglas Wood (of Phantasie fame) and developed by StarCraft Inc. as a successor to Star Command. The game underwent major changes during the development and eventually became a more straightforward dungeon/space shooter RPG running on the Might & Magic 3 engine.

In this game, you are a member of a mercenary squad of infantry mechs contracted by the government to do dirty jobs. Eventually you gain access to a space ship and travel the galaxy to deal with an alien invasion.

The project started in 2020 when the original designer (Winston Douglas Wood of Phantasie fame) admitted during the Matt Chat interview that he never played Phantasie IV and Starfire when they came out in Japan.

TheMajinZenki, Shinto-Cetra and AgentOrange handled the translation of in-game text, while kinezumi handled the research and reinsertion, with additional consulting by Xeen Music, who knew the technical details of the game engine.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

manny082

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Starfire Translated to English!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 12:35:18 pm »
I wish i knew the hotkeys for the stuff in this game, not just the menu and shooting part. Also for whatever reason, retroarch does not run well when playing this game. I know because i saw youtube videos of the framerates alot faster than i was getting (5 to 10 FPS)

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 12:08:42 am »
I wish i knew the hotkeys for the stuff in this game, not just the menu and shooting part. Also for whatever reason, retroarch does not run well when playing this game. I know because i saw youtube videos of the framerates alot faster than i was getting (5 to 10 FPS)

I haven't played the game to be sure, but try looking up hotkeys for Might and Magic III - given that it's the same engine a lot of hotkeys may have been carried over.

Totally gonna have to check this out though, M&M3 is a childhood fave of mine and something 'new' in the engine will be a possible treat.

Sanedan56

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 03:44:01 pm »
I'm so glad this is released.

kinezumi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 03:50:53 pm »
See if you can set the CPU speed to ~19-24 MHz. This will result in a nice and comfy experience (even if somewhat sluggish), but anything above will make space combat and boss encounters near-unplayable.

As for the hotkeys, most of them are suggested by the game (see yellow letters on menu buttons, like *S*ave, *L*oad, etc). The basic controls are simple: arrow keys to move, CTRL + left/right arrow to strafe. TAB to bring up the game menu. One thing that you'll need is a mouse -- without it, the game will not be playable as far as I know.