News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Byuu / Near has passed away  (Read 14064 times)

MathOnNapkins

• Forum Moderator
  • Who ya gonna call
    • View Profile
    • Arc-Nova - Rohmackin' and Chiptunin'
Re: Byuu / Near has passed away
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2021, 10:39:46 pm »
Though I was not especially close to Byuu / Near, especially in these latter years, they were someone I admired greatly. Their prolificness and willingness to dive into myriad projects and feverishly write code until their fingers and eyes probably bled was something to behold. They were intrepid in a way few developers are - fearlessly diving in and creating and recreating software facilities if they were displeased with the status quo thereof. In particular, the SNES romhacking scene would be greatly diminished if they had not created xkas and bsnes, but anyone that has looked at their code can easily see just how much laser-focused, tenacious work and research went into all of their projects. I don't know how they found the time and energy to do it all while also working a normal job.

To those that knew them better, I give my sincere condolences on the loss of a truly irreplaceable friend. They deserve a profound peace.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2021, 01:47:46 am »
It gives me shudders to think of just how much knowledge and spirit has been lost, here.

This is a sorry state of affairs. We all need to do better. RIP, Near.
Yamero~~!

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2021, 04:17:07 am »
Its devastating knowing byuu isn't with us anymore. byuu touched so many peoples lives around the world.
The hard work and dedication was so inspiring. A special person with a wonderful soul. This is one of the
most heart breaking things to ever happen. You and your hard work will never be forgotten my friend. ~[J]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SiylvmFI_8

@Spooniest
"We all need to do better."

Yes, we all do need to do better because if not the most precious things could be gone in a blink of the eye.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsVqO83OYow

Eldrethor

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2021, 05:37:40 pm »
The world lost an absolutely brilliant soul. Taking his own life was bad enough, but it's even worse knowing that he was pushed to that brink by a bunch of people who do that sort of thing knowingly.

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2021, 05:42:59 pm »
I just heard the news, it really sucks that they ended up going out this way, nobody should have to put up with that kind of shit for the sake of doing what they love,it's sad.

Autumn

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2021, 06:35:43 pm »
I saw the news the morning that it happened. I've been mourning the loss of Near all this week. I didn't know them all that well, but I had spoken with them a couple of times over the years. I had been following their work since the early days of emulation (I'm aging myself, but oh well).

I started playing their Bahamut Lagoon translation on Monday morning and just finished it yesterday. I guess it was my way of coping with their loss. I realized why Near loved this game so much, and their translation definitely shows that love and dedication. It's a beautiful game, and I highly recommend people play through it with Near's translation.

Rest in peace, Near. You will never be forgotten.

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
  • Prepare thyself for holy judgment
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2021, 11:04:57 pm »
For what it's worth, I'll never forget his game folder idea.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2021, 11:33:14 pm »

I do this, with my roms to this day, yeah. RetroArch has a feature where you can store save data in "Content Directory," and so that's what I do.
Yamero~~!

Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2021, 12:03:12 am »
I heard about this the night it happened, and was just really gutted about it all week. It's been quite a few years since we chatted, but there was a message board we both used to frequent (PocketHeaven maybe?), and I remember Byuu being one of my favorite people there.

Just really sad, and infuriating that nothing can be done to stop this from happening over and over and over...

DDOS attack took down their forum for a couple days, but it's back up as of now.

For the record, it wasn't an overdose that killed him, but I don't want to talk about that.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a more appalling cesspit populated by the scum of the earth.
What! No Star Wars quote??

But yeah, I've been repulsed by KF/EncyclopediaDramatica/4chan/etc. for quite a long time, now.

What's that?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 12:13:24 am by Asaki »

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2021, 04:56:09 am »
What's that?
It's an emulator config whereby all of the ROM/game specific file(SaveRam, SaveStates, cheats, etc) are stored in the same folder as the ROM itself. This can make file management much easier rather than hunting down all the file from different folders like many emulators have and currently do.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2021, 11:11:55 am »
DDOS attack took down their forum for a couple days, but it's back up as of now
Apparently there was some talk between null and the person doing it, and the whole thing actually wasn't related.  Someone just did it for chuckles.

Ah, the internet.

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2021, 09:15:01 pm »
Just a heads up... This is probably the end of the conspiracy for most...
Now, everything that one needs is the legal confirmation from government record, but hey, you got the name, right!?

I don't agree with the KiwiFarms stuff all along, like many people I didn't even know it existed, but since people want to show their worst, have at you.