News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: [PSX] Help replacing a XA of the exact same size but half the Hz and stereo  (Read 314 times)

rari_teh

• View Profile
I’m working on an undub of a PlayStation game and everything was going fine up until this point: the dubbed version has a XA file, embedded in a STR file, itself a part of a multi-track STR. This XA file is mono and sampled at 37.8 kHz. The original dub’s counterpart has the exact same length, but is stereo and sampled at 18.9 kHz, making it the exact same size as the other one. jPSXdec doesn’t let me swap one for the other because they aren’t the exact same spec, but if I resample the original to mono and double the bitrate it’ll sound terrible. All attempts at alternative ways of substituting the file have failed miserably, as there are extremely few programs to my knowledge that are able to work with multi-track STRs. What can I do?

Thanks in advance

Edit: I managed to pull it off painstakingly with a hex editor, but the question remains; is there a way to do it that doesn’t have me manually copy chunks of binary data down on the metal?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 11:58:12 am by rari_teh »

FAST6191

• View Profile
Will it sound terrible? Most human vocal ranges top out at 8KHz or so which is way below the double it (see Nyquist Shannon sampling theorem) needed to reliably encode it. Might be empty space with no new information but if it spares you aggravation by being the format the program expects then most will not complain too hard.

Anyway no idea about this format or if there are muxers or encoders available for it already that might work, or indeed reset any data that says it is in this format rather than this one (my usual problem with injecting files of differing sample rates/bit depths/channel count into games more than 30 seconds playing with audacity and finding an encoder).

rari_teh

• View Profile
My main problem with the resampling isn’t the bitrate, since the original is halved anyway. The issue is flattening a stereo track into mono, which is definitely perceptible, especially considering that this specific STR is a music video.

Regarding codecs, we are thankfully fortunate with XA: the official tools made by Sony back then are readily available :)