News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Lufia-Patches by Artemis  (Read 161965 times)

soaringdolphin

• View Profile
Re: Lufia-Patches by Artemis
« Reply #480 on: June 22, 2021, 11:41:24 am »
I hope it's okay to revive this topic.  This is my first post here, and I'm pretty new to romhacking in general. 

First of all, thank you Artemis for your work on Lufia 2!  I've just been revisiting many old games (via a Retroid Pocket 2), and I've fallen in love with this game all over again.  I decided to patch with Spekkio, and it has been really interesting thus far. 

I just made it to the Ancient Cave, and was intrigued to see what the experience was like after reading your explanation of changes.  I've never played an SNES title, or a Mystery Dungeon-esque game, with save states.  I was able to get to the Master at level 50.  I have pretty good equipment I think?  Also, as a side note, I got all of the Iris Treasures in my single run; it was crazy!

However, I'm at a loss for how to defeat the Master, or even how to functionally complete the dungeon if I'm unable to defeat it.  I've tried putting Mirror on it, healing it, using various items, casting weird spells, etc., but I can't figure out how to deal with it.  Also, when I either try killing myself or just lose, the same thing happens in either scenario, and then I'm just stuck in the final room.  Is there no "win" or at least "lose effectively" condition anymore?  What if I don't have a Providence?  Am I just permanently stuck in the final room if I can't take on the Master? 

I hope that makes sense.  Thanks so much for your thoughts and guidance!

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 24, 2021, 08:37:09 pm »
You can always leave right after the Master battle with a Providence. And you always WILL have a Providence after that battle. If you lose your Providence after the battle, you're stuck for all eternity, though.

Did you beat Gades?

soaringdolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 24, 2021, 08:50:55 pm »
Oh interesting!  I guess that means a Providence is inserted into your inventory if you don't have one post Master battle?  I do have one, so it isn't a big deal; it just seemed like a permanent condition if you had managed to reach that point without one on hand. 

Is it possible to reach the Ancient Cave before beating Gades?  Are you asking if I beat him in our first encounter, or if I've passed that part of the storyline?  I failed to win the first time I encountered him (he wiped the floor with me), but have already beaten him in storyline terms.  Or... is there a version of Gades in the Ancient Cave somewhere (maybe wild speculation)!?

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 25, 2021, 01:28:17 pm »
Oh interesting!  I guess that means a Providence is inserted into your inventory if you don't have one post Master battle?

Yeah.

And I meant the very first Gades encounter.

soaringdolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 25, 2021, 02:24:29 pm »
Okay cool.  Does the outcome of the first Gades battle affect the encounter with the Master?