News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Looking for a Nekketsu translator  (Read 1125 times)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Looking for a Nekketsu translator
« on: June 22, 2021, 11:08:00 am »
I'm looking for a translator to assist me in translating various games in the Nekketsu series. I have a mostly finished translation of Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu and Nekketsu Kouha Kunio for the Famicom. I also have title screen hacks for Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari and the dodgeball game. Preferably I would like to start translating those 2 titles after the almost complete translations are released.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
Re: Looking for a Nekketsu translator
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 08:41:31 pm »
C'mon people, help a brotha out! These title screens look really cool!  :D :cookie: 

TanaElmsley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 04:50:58 am »
I might be interested in lending a hand. I do speak Japanese. I am confident in regards to my English skills but I am no native speaker. So it would be great to have someone proof-read the translation.
I have almost zero experience with hacks. Just so you know I‘ll probably ask some noob questions.
Currently, I am working on a German translation patch for Getsu Fuuma Den but could join you as soon as that is done. Since we are basing the patch on Nebulous‘ English translation patch of the same game there’s not a lot of programming involved and the translation is more or less done. So iI Hope it won’t take too long.
Also, I live in Germany and depending on your location time difference might be an issue.
I’ll try to get my hands on physical Famicom copies of the Nekketsu games when I buy some stuff from Japan next month. They’re supposed to be really good and I like to be able to chuck them into my Famicom and have a go at them like back in the day 😂.
Let me know if this sounds good to you.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 02:31:40 pm »
I will send you a PM.

TanaElmsley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 03:40:23 pm »
Sure, go ahead.

Jaz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 10:39:15 am »
I tried to translate Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari and found myself in way over my head.  The limited space for characters and the weird formatting made it a seemlingly impossible task.  I did manage to translate the homebrew GBA demo http://www.romhacking.net/translations/6037/ which was a lot simpler to work with.

A bit off-topic but I would love to see your involvement in this hack https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5998/.

For those that have the capabilities of doing such translations, the Double Dragon Kunio-Kun Retro Brawler Bundle is a great place to start since they are localized versions of all these Nekketsu games fully translated keeping the original context unlike River City Ransom for example.

I really hope your projects get traction!

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 10:19:03 pm »
Even though I didn't play them, I didn't find the new Switch releases to be that great. From the videos I've seen they looked like half-assed translations.

There's no chance of me working on other peoples projects. Every once in a great while, I might help someone else out, but I typically do my own thing.

FANS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 11:31:34 am »
I can help, since I'm a japanese language student too.

Also, I did the River City hack, I love Technos beat em up. I've tried to start a translation of Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari, but I messed the characters and other problems... So I did the other hack.

The title screens are awesome. I would love to know how you to do something like that in my hack too.

Jaz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 12:45:48 pm »
If Pennywise and FANS start collaborating we might be in for a treat

KoopaTroopaZ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 06:49:10 pm »
I would pay lots of money for someone to do Downtown Special Jidaigeki for 3ds or Rikki Densetsu. I tried myself but the best I could do was edit item graphics. I did play through them with my phone and google translate. Spectacular games if you're a Kunio fan.