News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. HD Pack  (Read 1523 times)

MushroomZeroArt

• View Profile
Super Mario Bros. HD Pack
« on: June 20, 2021, 07:33:34 pm »
Hi, I'm Mushroom Zero Art. Online friends tend to call me "Mushroom" or "Zero."

I'm an artist and illustrator who has dabbled in SMB1 graphics hacking for years now, and I've created a couple of "redrawn" hacks for personal use in the past. After discovering the capabilities of MESEN and NES HD packs last year, I've been obsessed with the idea of creating an HD pack for SMB1 based on retro Mario art and merchandise. References include the cartoons, manual art, anime film, and gamepak packaging.

So far, the only issue with my plan is my lack of experience in creating these packs, but I have already started redrawing sprites, and wouldn't mind doing it again or making improvements. This thread will be a little diary to record my progress.

To start, here's a couple images. One is of a concept I had for the overall look of the pack, and the other is of the first batch of sprites I recreated. These are mainly based off of the 1986 animated film.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Bros. HD Pack
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 12:33:55 am »
I think you'll need to use a file hoster (or look for an alternate link option) which allows hotlinking, for the images to show up in the thread.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

mkwong98

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 12:44:58 am »
The first thing you need to do is to decide what scale you want to work with. The size of NES screen is 256*240. Scale of 2X would be 512*480 and 4X would be 1024*960. The higher scale you use, the more detail you can fit in but you will need a faster computer to run the pack.

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 07:22:54 am »
@KingMike, there's something wrong with you again. I can see those images.

@MushroomZeroArt, looks interesting.

MushroomZeroArt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 02:43:03 pm »
I think you'll need to use a file hoster (or look for an alternate link option) which allows hotlinking, for the images to show up in the thread.
The images show up fine for me.

The first thing you need to do is to decide what scale you want to work with. The size of NES screen is 256*240. Scale of 2X would be 512*480 and 4X would be 1024*960. The higher scale you use, the more detail you can fit in but you will need a faster computer to run the pack.

Ideally I'd go with the highest scale for maximum detail but I'm willing to go lower if necessary.

@MushroomZeroArt, looks interesting.
Thanks! There have been a couple of SMB1 packs but neither have really interested me. This one aims to update the game while matching the NES animation in a pleasing way.

Ice Man

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 06:30:28 am »
Can't see the images either. Just blank spoiler.

pleasejust

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 08:59:54 pm »
Can't see images. Just a blank spoiler.

Supergamerguy

• Studio Ghibli fanatic, lover of all things MegaMan
    • View Profile
    • Supergamerguy's Romhacks
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 09:25:15 am »
I can see the images just fine.
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 12:30:51 am »
I can see them but they are too big to view comfortably even on my 47 inch widescreen TV.

You might want to make copies of them that are more reasonably sized for viewing on the forums.

Edit: Like this.

Spoiler:
Yamero~~!