News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI: Divergent Paths Released  (Read 2860 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI: Divergent Paths Released
« on: June 20, 2021, 07:28:17 pm »

Update By: PowerPanda

Another day has gone by, and another FF6 hack has been added to RHDN. Why should Divergent Paths be any different than the others?

At it’s heart, Divergent Paths is a storyline modification, re-arranging, re-purposing, and sometimes adding new content in order to make the game flow more naturally. It starts with a small change: Edgar jumps in the river after Sabin. The changes cascade from there, peaking with a very different set of events in Thamasa. Leo survives the attack, and is given a chance at redemption. He's not just playable; he is a main character with a full character arc, sidequests, and his own musical theme, composed by William Kage. In fact, every named character receives an end to their story arc, both main characters and side characters. There is even an additional 16th character added in the World of Ruin.

Divergent Paths has been in development for 4 years, and sparked the completion of the Full Roster patch, allowing FF6 to have 2 additional fully-playable characters for a total of 16. It includes almost every bugfix for FF6 that has been released, and incorporates dozens of gameplay enhancements to make each character play smoother than ever before. An earlier proof-of-concept patch covering just the 3 Scenarios was released in 2017, and was so well-accepted that it became the basis for several other hacks, including being an option for the Beyond Chaos Randomizer.

Even with all of those changes listed, Divergent Paths has become somewhat noteworthy during its open beta not for its changes, but for its restraint. There is no difficulty rebalancing, no retranslation, no graphical changes, and only a handful of spells and items renamed. Every change is made in service to its characters, and the core of the game remains the same. It never stops feeling like the Final Fantasy 6 you know and love.

If you're a fan of Final Fantasy 6(3 North America & Europe), give this one a try!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI: Divergent Paths Released
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 07:38:52 am »
Woohoo! I can't stop smiling. I'm curious to see how:

- you gave shape to General Leo, his personality/dialogues,

- how you did to distinguish General Leo from Cyan. I mean both characters are loyal to their "Kingdom" and very big on Honor. I wonder if it was tricky to differentiate them at times? Anyway I'll see for myself. ^^

From what I gather, Divergent Path is much more than just adding General Leo to the game, no wonder this ambitious project took 4 years. I'm glad you decided to share it with us.

I'll put my "Mass Effect Trilogy" playthrough on hold just to play this beauty. Many thanks for this very unique project.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 09:45:53 am by CrocMagnum »
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 08:06:06 am »
This looks really cool, how long is it about? How would it compare to vanilla's length?

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 09:50:12 am »
This looks really cool, how long is it about? How would it compare to vanilla's length?

It is the full FF6 experience with about 30-40 extra minutes of added content. Most of the changes are re-arranging parts of the story that were already there, so it doesn't add to playtime.

June 22, 2021, 11:42:06 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
- how you did to distinguish General Leo from Cyan. I mean both characters are loyal to their "Kingdom" and very big on Honor. I wonder if it was tricky to differentiate them at times? Anyway I'll see for myself. ^^

Great question! The characterization of Leo was difficult because he was the halfway point between Cyan and Celes, and both of those themes are already explored pretty well in the original. Without spoiling too much, it was important that Leo not be a Mary Sue. When Celes realized she was on the wrong side, she jumped ship. Leo didn't. His Cyan-like loyalty caused enough cognitive dissonance to make him rationalize and compromise, and people got hurt. In order for him to become more than just a perfect soldier, he needs to go through personal deconstruction, and then reconstruction. It might be a bit of a shock for people who were expecting Leo to just be a white knight out of the gate, but I hope his journey makes him seem even more heroic in the end. :beer:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 11:42:56 am by PowerPanda »

Dark_eden

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 02:30:57 pm »
Question - Mt.Kohlts I have read how to end the battle in your guide, however no input seems to be working?  Any help?

Nevermind figured it out now....
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 02:41:45 pm by Dark_eden »

Digifiend

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 10:24:54 pm »
If you're a fan of Final Fantasy 6(3 North America & Europe), give this one a try!
Just America actually. The SNES version was never released in Europe, so it's always been FF6 to us.

moawar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 08:30:54 pm »
Hey, i am trying to get the Cat Hood headgear on the colliseum by betting the Impartisan,but it didn't appear,can someone tell me what i am doing wrong,and about the changes for Gau's rages,some of them doesn't seem like the rages i read on guides (like stray cat),i would like a list of all the rages that got changed and their actual effects if it's not much trouble

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 05:58:10 pm »
Hey, i am trying to get the Cat Hood headgear on the colliseum by betting the Impartisan,but it didn't appear,can someone tell me what i am doing wrong,and about the changes for Gau's rages,some of them doesn't seem like the rages i read on guides (like stray cat),i would like a list of all the rages that got changed and their actual effects if it's not much trouble

The changed Rages are only Stray Cat and ChickenLip. The Cathood is available by betting a Back Guard or Gale Hairpin.

moawar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 07:08:27 am »
Hey,i am trying to find Nightshade on Gau's rage list,was the name changed ,since the original stray cat isn't a option,is there other pysical rages that are good at late-game and i am trying to wager Ragnarok at the colisseum to get another Illumina but i got a excalibur ,but when i wager the Illumina i actually get the Ragnarok could you help me please ?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 02:59:06 pm by moawar »

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2021, 12:25:11 pm »
Hey,i am trying to find Nightshade on Gau's rage list,was the name changed ,since the original stray cat isn't a option,is there other pysical rages that are good at late-game and i am trying to wager Ragnarok at the colisseum to get another Illumina but i got a excalibur ,but when i wager the Illumina i actually get the Ragnarok could you help me please ?

Check the Spoilers folder for the text file called "Obtaining the Illumina".

Trismegistos

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2021, 05:05:36 pm »
Playing it right now (just did the Narshe battle). Must say it's very good indeed; it feels like a sort of "FF6: The Director's Cut". Did a little plug for it on Twitter, too  :)