News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: A problem with Dolphin & PCSX2 1.6.0  (Read 1408 times)

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003, baby!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
A problem with Dolphin & PCSX2 1.6.0
« on: July 03, 2021, 06:21:45 pm »
Okay I wanna you fellas the heads up on my PC, this is the processor...

AMD A8-7650K Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G   
3.30 GHz

And this is the RAM, it's up to the max...

32.0 GB (31.0 GB usable)

And this is my Motherboard if you wanna see it in more detail.

My emulators run flawless up to PS1 and N64, but Dolphin and PCSX2 1.6.0 chokes like crazy and sometimes they'll run smooth and slowdown again. Is there anyway I can make these emulators run smooth? I just got 'em today and I'm stumped.  :banghead:

Thanks for any tips.

Zandig

• View Profile
Re: A problem with Dolphin & PCSX2 1.6.0
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 07:58:38 am »
Your CPU is a bit too slow for those emulators, your CPU's STR is below 1400.
PCSX2 for example should have a CPU PassMark Single Thread Performance rating near or greater than 1600.

Check this thread for details:
https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Sticky-Will-PCSX2-run-fast-on-my-computer

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 09:45:41 am »
Okay I wanna you fellas the heads up on my PC, this is the processor...

AMD A8-7650K Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G   
3.30 GHz

And this is the RAM, it's up to the max...

32.0 GB (31.0 GB usable)

And this is my Motherboard if you wanna see it in more detail.

My emulators run flawless up to PS1 and N64, but Dolphin and PCSX2 1.6.0 chokes like crazy and sometimes they'll run smooth and slowdown again. Is there anyway I can make these emulators run smooth? I just got 'em today and I'm stumped.  :banghead:

Thanks for any tips.

Do you have an option called "use multi-thread" or "use multiple cores" (I'm not sure right now) activated on pcsx2? Because I think that option increases performance a lot. I remember reading somewhere it's recomended to activate that option if your cpu has more than 2 cores or threads.

I used pcsx2 on a core 2 duo E7500 for a period of time and it ran smooth enough for me on not very demanding games (only got slight slowdowns on Tales of the Abyss, for instance). But the E7500 had only 2 cores and no hyperthreading, so I didn't bother with that option.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 11:10:29 am by aqualung »

Felipefpl

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 10:06:41 am »

Thanks for any tips.

You can get more speed with pcsx2 1.4.0, it still has support for DX9 which was dropped who knows why after that (ppl played and finished games with it, no idea why it was removed).

The future for pcsx2 is dark since they removed support for SS2/SS3 and now the minimum supported is SSE 4.1 (again no idea why they did this...)
Core i7 Celeron Sandy Bridge G460 1.8 Ghz - 4 GB RAM - Win7 Home Premium x64 - Intel HD Graphics 2000 Onboard

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 02:29:37 pm »
the future isn't "dark" they're just increasing performance by not supporting ancient ass cpu architecture

come on, dawg

Felipefpl

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 02:39:49 pm »
the future isn't "dark" they're just increasing performance by not supporting ancient ass cpu architecture

Or they're just excluding ppl from enjoying new fixes/improvements because of that, like i said, ppl played/finished games using the old requirements, why just kick ppl out? Why not add support for newer instruction while keeping support for the old ones? Not everyone can buy new stuff, specially now with criptomining and all shortages that made the prices reach the sky.
Core i7 Celeron Sandy Bridge G460 1.8 Ghz - 4 GB RAM - Win7 Home Premium x64 - Intel HD Graphics 2000 Onboard

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 03:11:05 pm »
because it takes actual effort to maintain legacy hardware support when you could focus on newer stuff and have to put in less work testing it on that legacy hardware you may not have handy

if you are running things on old ass hardware bleeding edge stuff is not going to work on it. you are going to need to get used to it.

also i hope you're not seriously claiming anything with those specs in your signature god damn
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 03:17:30 pm by Bonesy »

Sliver X

• der Wille zur Macht
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 04:02:15 pm »
What I'm seeing as your biggest problem is your GPU: The Radeon in that particular APU is about as fast as a GeForce GT 710, which is a *really* slow video card by today's standards. Unless you're running the Software video renderer that's going to hurt, especially if you're upping the internal resolution/etc.

Even something with the performance of a GeForce 750 Ti/Radeon R7 260 would net you tremendous speed gains (Those run around $100 on eBay).

With something like a GeForce 1060 or faster you can enable "Ubershaders" in Dolphin which pretty much makes stuttering and lag due to shader compilation nonexistent, but prices are still stupid for any GPU made in the last 4 years.

*edit*

I would also recommend using the dev branch builds of both Dolphin and PCSX2: Both have had a lot of performance optimizations done since the last official builds.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 04:13:28 pm by Sliver X »

J^P

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2021, 04:08:56 pm »
Do you have an option called "use multi-thread" or "use multiple cores" (I'm not sure right now) activated on pcsx2? Because I think that option increases performance a lot. I remember reading somewhere it's recomended to activate that option if your cpu has more than 2 cores or threads.

I used pcsx2 on a core 2 duo E7500 for a period of time and it ran smooth enough for me on not very demanding games (only got slight slowdowns on Tales of the Abyss, for instance). But the E7500 had only 2 cores and no hyperthreading, so I didn't bother with that option.
Intel has better single-core performance, so of course it runs better, more cores != better performance. I dont think any emulators uses more than one-two cpu cores anyway. I had amd fx-6300 cpu for many years which is just little better than what Googie has, but it still struggled with dolphin and pcsx2, although this was many years ago when I tried to emulate them and I dont have that cpu/system anymore. I just moved to playing with burned discs on real hardware/softmodded wii instead since pcsx2 especially has/had issues with many games anyway.

These days I have ryzen 5 3600 cpu which can emulate both of them in widescreen and in 1440p - 4k depending on the game.

What I'm seeing as your biggest problem is your GPU: The Radeon in that particular APU is about as fast as a GeForce GT 710, which is a *really* slow video card by today's standards. Unless you're running the Software video renderer that's going to hurt, especially if you're upping the internal resolution/etc.
Better GPU doesn't help that much, when the CPU is the real bottleneck here. my old PC had fx-6300 with nvidia gt 440, and when I upgraded to gtx 660 and it didn't do anything for the emulator performance.

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2021, 10:33:11 pm »
speaking of ryzen, is it true that in general lately ryzen integrated graphics is better than Intel? i've seen that statement bandied around a bit but never expounded on.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2021, 12:10:47 am »
Or they're just excluding ppl from enjoying new fixes/improvements because of that, like i said, ppl played/finished games using the old requirements, why just kick ppl out? Why not add support for newer instruction while keeping support for the old ones?
Presumably, if there was sufficient demand, then someone could fork the project. I guess that hasn't happened.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

J^P

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2021, 03:40:15 am »
speaking of ryzen, is it true that in general lately ryzen integrated graphics is better than Intel? i've seen that statement bandied around a bit but never expounded on.
I also have laptop with ryzen cpu, ASUS VivoBook 17 (M712DA) with Ryzen 5 3500U and its integrated gpu VEGA 8(no dedicated gpu) and I just checked dolphin, and it run at full speed with 4x resolution, 4x AA and AF with widescreen enabled. It was just a quick test, so I didn't really optimize settings or pushed it.

No idea how its gaming performance, I bought this laptop when I was working far away from home, and after ten-hour workday/manual labor I didn't have any energy left to play anything else than VN's or watch random shit on youtube/netflix. I know it runs (vanilla) minecraft smoothly 1080p 60fps at least.