News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters  (Read 7681 times)

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2021, 11:56:40 pm »
With the new screenshots, I like how the actual overworld graphics & battle graphics look. My only complaints are:
* wish the character sprites had a bit more contrast
* wish the menu’s, font, and battle effects were kept to 16-bit limitations instead of being a mismatched resolution

I don’t mind them redrawing the sprites because:
1. They’re making them closer to the original NES coloring
2. They can’t just use the PS1/SNES sprites because those were meant to be viewed on CRT’s (taking advantage of color bleed), not on smartphones that expose their raw pixels and have no color bleed between pixels.
Creator of STARLIGHT LEGACY intended to be released on Steam.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/jmatz1995

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2021, 12:00:41 am »
2. They can’t just use the PS1/SNES sprites because those were meant to be viewed on CRT’s (taking advantage of color bleed), not on smartphones that expose their raw pixels and have no color bleed between pixels.
People do love their raw pixels nowadays tho.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2021, 12:23:11 am »
People do love their raw pixels nowadays tho.
Even if people like the raw pixels, it doesn’t change the fact that the artist didn’t intend them to be viewed like that. (It’s the same artist too)
Creator of STARLIGHT LEGACY intended to be released on Steam.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/jmatz1995

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2021, 12:58:18 am »
Even if people like the raw pixels, it doesn’t change the fact that the artist didn’t intend them to be viewed like that. (It’s the same artist too)
Sadly (and I do mean sadly because I like experiencing art the way it was intended) artist intention is very downplayed this generation

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2021, 01:05:07 am »
GBA and PSP are the same in this rebalance, the PSP version has more postgame stuff though.
It does? Is this all documented somewhere?

Not that I found the additional content in the GBA version to be very interesting.

In other news, I didn't realize that Square was going to be completely blowing up the old versions of FFV and VI, but I suppose that makes sense.
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-ugliest-final-fantasy-games-are-vanishing-from-steam-next-month/

Didn't one of those versions include the actual GBA ROM buried deep within? My memory is foggy. I'm guessing they won't do that again.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2021, 01:09:00 am »

Not that I found the additional content in the GBA version to be very interesting.

In other news, I didn't realize that Square was going to be completely blowing up the old versions of FFV and VI, but I suppose that makes sense.
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-ugliest-final-fantasy-games-are-vanishing-from-steam-next-month/

Didn't one of those versions include the actual GBA ROM buried deep within? My memory is foggy. I'm guessing they won't do that again.
Yes

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2021, 07:47:43 am »

It should be in the FF Wiki somewhere, though the PSP version is slightly glossed over in comparison: https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_version_differences

Maybe Final Fantasy Union should make a video about FF1 versions after these drop like they did with FF4.

deadlyblossom

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2021, 05:45:48 pm »
You think that it's pixels is gonna be updated?

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2021, 08:39:39 pm »
Zero chance. Fonts maybe, as it's a lot easier to fix a font than it is to redraw hundreds of character sprites from scratch.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2021, 03:13:21 pm »
I'll still take these over the mishmash of different versions that look nothing like each other and don't even seem like they're from the same series.

It's very comforting to my personally weird OCD that they all are going to use the same basic framework.
Yamero~~!

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2021, 12:10:12 am »
No double posting until 2 weeks... well

I got 1-3 on Steam today.

Barring a couple of hiccups, they run perfectly well on my French Fried Potato Computer (An HP Elite 8000 CMT with a twin core @3.16 gHz, and an Nvidia GT710 with 2gb DDR3. 8 gb of physical DDR3 ram). I had to force Vsync on in Nvidia Control Panel though.

I've just opened the Canal out of the Aldi Sea, and by the way, changing to a better looking font is as simple as Copy the Japanese Font Files, Paste them on the Desktop, rename them the filenames of the English Font Files, move them back into the "Streaming Assets Folder" and click Replace. Apparently the Romaiji Font has all the same hex digits as the English Font, and why wouldn't it? But, it looks a lot nicer.

Yamero~~!

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2021, 12:14:03 am »
No double posting until 2 weeks... well

I got 1-3 on Steam today.

Barring a couple of hiccups, they run perfectly well on my French Fried Potato Computer (An HP Elite 8000 CMT with a twin core @3.16 gHz, and an Nvidia GT710 with 2gb DDR3. 8 gb of physical DDR3 ram). I had to force Vsync on in Nvidia Control Panel though.

I've just opened the Canal out of the Aldi Sea, and by the way, changing to a better looking font is as simple as Copy the Japanese Font Files, Paste them on the Desktop, rename them the filenames of the English Font Files, move them back into the "Streaming Assets Folder" and click Replace. Apparently the Romaiji Font has all the same hex digits as the English Font, and why wouldn't it? But, it looks a lot nicer.

Wow. That's simple enough. I'm sure people will try changing it even more to give better options.

Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2021, 04:09:33 am »
Darn shame there just wasn't anything done for FF3 and everything from the WSC version is probably completely lost, knowing Square.

Yeah, if you look at screenshots from the WSC version, it looks nothing like this new remake. The new one just looks like they fancied up the NES graphics a little bit...

...not that there's anything wrong with that! ¬_¬

First three games will be $11.99 US each: https://www.gematsu.com/2021/06/final-fantasy-pixel-remaster-series-final-fantasy-i-ii-and-iii-launch-july-28

More than the previous versions (minus 3), less than I figured I'd have to pay with Square's steadily rising prices on especially the mobile market.

Square stuff goes on sale so cheap and so often, though =)

Got any screenshots?

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2021, 05:51:25 am »
The more I look at FF5 and FF1 the more it looks like those chars have one leg attached to the center of their groin.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2021, 09:48:41 am »
Yeah I'm going to pass on this.  Especially on mobile where I would buy it this font is unreadable, and knowing how Square is about DRM there (it's also online only) I wouldn't be able to change it.  That alone makes me suspicious of the general quality.

Looks like FF1 doesn't have the GBA balance changes though, according to reviews.  That's something at least.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 12:00:30 pm by Chronosplit »

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2021, 12:28:59 pm »
Got any screenshots?

Indubitably!

This is what the font looks like before it is replaced. You can see a larger image if you click through.

This is what the font looks like after it is replaced.

Like I said, you basically just copy the two font files for the japanese font (labelled 'ja') and paste them somewhere else. Then you rename them to the same filename as the 'en' font, and paste them back into the Streaming Assets folder. Set your language to English and bingbangboom you're good to go. If any of the font files are missing from the Streaming Assets folder, it won't run the game, but as long as all the filenames that are supposed to be in it, are in it, it doesn't check the contents of the file, and the Japanese Font has the same hex digits for the Roman Alphabet that the English Font does... it just looks nicer.
Yamero~~!

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2021, 02:45:48 pm »
These rereleases are hit or miss. My list of worth buying

1 is the best version of the original if you like the old charge system. The psx origins release is comparable but the art style is very different.

2 the loss of the bonus dungeons really hurt this one, the psp version just has so much more content and actually looks better plus the bonus dungeon isn't just fan service.

3 only release of this version in english so no brainer.

4 no, get the psp or 3d version with more content.

5 looks good but loses the bonus dungeon and classes, iffy.

6 I hear the bonus dungeon sucks and the graphical overhaul looks really good so grab this one too.

3 out of 6 aint bad and the prices aren't too bad when on sale (and it will be all the time)

Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2021, 03:54:18 pm »
This is what the font looks like after it is replaced.
It still looks weird to see high-res fonts with chunky pixels, but that font does look infinitely better.
I'm guessing it's like the GBA releases, where they had thin fonts to fit more variable width text in for other languages.

1 is the best version of the original if you like the old charge system. The psx origins release is comparable but the art style is very different.
I really like the GBA version of 1+2, but I'm surprised nobody has hacked 1 to get rid of easy mode. The only hacks I've seen are gigantic "rebalance" overhauls.
GBA version of 4 is awesome, except for that terrible framerate...but then it reminds me that I really prefer the US SNES version that we got. Maybe if that "SNES version with GBA graphics" hack ever got finished...

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2021, 01:59:05 am »
I wonder if it would be easy enough to get retranslations into these, I hear thr official french translations bad for most and I would love the ff6 relocalizations in this pretty new package

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2021, 05:03:46 am »
Something I mentioned somewhere, and I don't think I've seen anyone else talk about, is the walk cycle for the characters. In FF1-6, characters would 'bounce' a bit when they walked left and right, i.e., when their foot was out taking a step, their head would be shifted down a pixel.

This behavior was lost in previous remakes of FF1; I have never understood why, it just makes walking left and right feel flat and boring to me. So, good news. It has been restored to FF1 PR...

...Which, yes I already platinumed thxverymuch, howdyou do and see how you like it
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 09:55:37 pm by Spooniest »
Yamero~~!