News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters  (Read 9120 times)

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2021, 09:21:26 am »
Heh, well, not to sound like a broken record, but that really is just the internet for you. If you actually talk to people in those fandoms that don't live on the internet, there'd probably be a lot less whining.

I'll still never get the hate for Ted Woolsey. I mean, thanks to this guy, you were able to play these Squaresoft games as a resident of North America in the first place. Whether you could make a more accurate translation of the games he worked on 20+ years later, with much more modern tools, and all the time in the world, or not.

I have no hate for the man or his writing, he was pidgeon holed into cutting his scripts and censoring them. But to say they are the best versions to play is pure nostalgia in my eyes. We have better tools and more resources than he could ever dream of having.

deadlyblossom

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2021, 09:45:40 am »
You just have to brag, so what's your point?

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2021, 01:02:07 pm »
That wasn't meant to be taken personally, just a general observation over the years. One I'd suspect he noticed himself, as he's alluded to it in interviews.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2021, 03:53:27 pm »
As I said, I respect the man and he did the best he could with the tools at hand and the restrictions in place. He is why many of us are into JRPGs in general

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2021, 10:11:30 pm »
I guess they still can't get do the sprites correctly, the original sprites had more detail and personality.

What is up with their sprite artists? Why not bring in the guy who did the Brave Exvius sprites? That is clearly the most superior sprites to date for the classic characters.

This is why I can't stand Square Enix's odd ass decisions sometimes, they make a great idea and then take a strange shit on it on almost every game they make nowadays.

It is honestly frustrating.

Bonk

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2021, 10:26:18 pm »
I actually really like these new sprites. Though I do wish they were more in the style of the PSP 2D remakes. I can appreciate them trying to get slightly closer to that old super deformed look of the art of the first 6 games.
Like this:  https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/4/42/Ff5psxbox.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20060721165927
But still in between that and the OG sprites.

The mobile remakes seemed like they were aiming for that, but were done rather poorly and inconsistently overall. Especially when combined with the lackluster background art and UI.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2021, 04:31:54 pm »
Well, I think you're giving Ted a bit too much credit there. It's not like he was the only person that could have made those translations and Square would have abandoned releasing those games in NA if he couldn't have done the job. Thank Square for wanting to release the games here int he first place. Thank Ted for doing the best he could in the stupidly short time frame he had to work with.
But I digress...

The sprites look much better in composition than the original sprites. And less be real, the old mobile/Steam sprites are not even in this competition. They're just hot garbage. Sorry, Mr. Intern. They have not aged well.

To get my critique whining on, the new sprites do get a low score for the shading. It's the worst on Dark Knight Cecil's helmet where it's just straight up bad pillow shading. There is also a problem of palette choice like was already pointed out. Colors are a bit too saturated in the gradients. These are still pixel graphics so they need a good level of contrast or it will all kinda blend into a single color to your eye.

Still, it is a step in the right direction and nothing a simple color edit won't fix.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2021, 07:48:58 pm »
Since its on steam moding is an option and it would be a small mod at that.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2021, 11:26:47 pm »
Sorry, Mr. Intern. They have not aged well.
Actually it wasn’t an intern that made the mobile sprites, it was the same artist that made the original SNES sprites, Kazuko Shibuya. I agree that they look bad though, and the perspective is off.
Creator of STARLIGHT LEGACY intended to be released on Steam.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/jmatz1995

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2021, 11:34:16 am »
Here's a trailer for the new lineup. https://www.gematsu.com/2021/06/final-fantasy-pixel-remaster-series-launches-beginning-july

These sprites look pretty different at points.  An example:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 12:00:35 pm by Chronosplit »

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2021, 12:49:21 pm »
Wow. Those FFV sprites look GREAT!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2021, 04:16:50 pm »
Wow. Those FFV sprites look GREAT!
They do!  I especially like how Lenna actually looks like she can lift an axe now.

That said, these are not all created equal.  After looking at this closer the FF1 setup looks a bit too much like the GBA version but with less detail.  They're also clearly pulling the same thing as the older V/VI ports where they aren't even color correcting palettes.  That might mean the difficulty's even the same, as you can see the MP numbers.  On the other hand, maybe that means mobile will get the GBA postgame this time around.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 06:08:00 pm by Chronosplit »

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2021, 04:02:40 pm »
yeah i don't know about this

i can't say it's just a simple cash-in, more of a baffling decision all-around

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2021, 05:28:49 pm »
First three games will be $11.99 US each: https://www.gematsu.com/2021/06/final-fantasy-pixel-remaster-series-final-fantasy-i-ii-and-iii-launch-july-28

More than the previous versions (minus 3), less than I figured I'd have to pay with Square's steadily rising prices on especially the mobile market.  I'm not sure if these are worth it or not (if they fix the tile seams and the fast forward is the same as FFV's, maybe they are), but I may bite for III.  I'm kinda interested in how that turns out, considering the amount of ports it got.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2021, 08:39:40 pm »
I will never understand the font choices Square Enix uses for their remasters...

Don't buy these guys. Vote with your wallet! We then might actually get a definitive way to play all these at some point in time...

Just emulate the best versions we already have or the originals using romhacks that add content in. These Pixel Remasters do not seem to be "the ones".

Easy list (IMO) of how to play each one:

FF: PS1
FFII: PSP
FFIII: PSP - if you can deal with the wonky 3D models and the "balance". NES with English patch if you can't.
FFIV: PSP
FFV: SNES - w/ fan English patch or GBA script ported over (up to you, the story sucks either way. GBA script is REALLY memey though.)
FFVI: SNES - plain or w/ Ted Woolsey Uncensored Editionsored Edition

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2021, 08:50:20 pm »
Easy list (IMO) of how to play each one:

FF: PS1
FFII: PSP
FFIII: PSP - if you can deal with the wonky 3D models and the "balance". NES with English patch if you can't.
FFIV: PSP
FFV: SNES - w/ fan English patch or GBA script ported over (up to you, the story sucks either way. GBA script is REALLY memey though.)
FFVI: SNES - plain or w/ Ted Woolsey Uncensored Editionsored Edition

What makes you choose the choices you did? Theres a PSP version of 1 as well why go psx?
The pc version of FF3 has mods to make it better than the psp version.
FF4 has 2 perfectly legit choices, psp has a more true to original gameplay and the art is great but the translations not while the pc version has better gameplay and translation but the poor framerate and low quality 3d can be a turn off.
FF5 sadly has no real great ports after GBA, the Pixel remaster honestly looks worth while unlike the others.
FF6 I suggest the woolsey uncensored if you are nostalgic or retranslated if you want a more true to Japanese version.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2021, 08:56:31 pm »
What makes you choose the choices you did? Theres a PSP version of 1 as well why go psx?
Probably for the same reason I put that down in the best versions thread.  After PS1, the balance of the game saw major changes.  Everything magic-related switched to an MP system and the difficulty was more or less anchored in PS1's easy mode.  GBA and PSP are the same in this rebalance, the PSP version has more postgame stuff though.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2021, 09:01:20 pm »
Probably for the same reason I put that down in the best versions thread.  After PS1, the balance of the game saw major changes.  Everything magic-related switched to an MP system and the difficulty was more or less anchored in PS1's easy mode.  GBA and PSP are the same in this rebalance, the PSP version has more postgame stuff though.
Balanced on the easy side huh? Sux

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2021, 10:03:50 pm »
Wait a minute, I kinda take back what I said about FF1.  It may actually use the charge system for magic.  I was somewhat fooled by how the SNES games show MP.  Take a look at the hud compared to the GBA and PSP versions.  In those games the MP is far off to the right of the HP numbers.  They aren't present.  Moreover the same hud setup in the screenshots and video stuff is in FFIII and only III, the only other game that uses magic charges in mainline.

So this may actually be some sort of frankenstein NES and GBA version?  Weird as heck.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 10:26:39 pm by Chronosplit »

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2021, 10:19:19 pm »
Wait a minute, I kinda take back what I said about FF1.  It may actually use the charge system for magic.  I was somewhat fooled by how the SNES games show MP.  Take a look at the hud compared to the GBA and PSP versions.  In those games the MP is far off to the right of the HP numbers.  They aren't present.  Moreover the same hud setup in the screenshots and video stuff is in FFIII and only III, the only game that uses magic charges in mainline.

So this may actually be some sort of frankenstein NES and GBA version?  Weird as heck.
The remasters are straight up originals with new graphics so it uses charges.
We are seeing they might lack the post game content which may make them pointless depending on the game.