News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: The Fuzzy Wuzzy Memories of the First Time You Played x Game Thread  (Read 1939 times)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
I am remembering the first time I played Lunar: The Silver Star on Sega CD, and meeting Ghaleon was part of it. I remember me and my friend thinking "Yep that guy is evil as fuck" lol

So how about you? Got a story of the first time you played one of your favorite games, or perhaps a not-so-favorite game?

And, go!
Yamero~~!

Jackie Lyn

• View Profile
Re: The Fuzzy Wuzzy Memories of the First Time You Played x Game Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 05:56:42 pm »
The entirety of Legend of Legaia's first story arc is highly nostalgic for me (as are the first few towns of the second arc.) The setting and atmosphere that game had were unlike anything I'd ever played at the time, and the melancholic tone and desolate locations really sold you on what a dire state the world was in. I remember being legitimately unnerved by Zeto's first appearance, and to this day, the battle against the Berserker is still the first thing that comes to mind when I think "boss fight."

Also, I remember playing Phantasy Star I and getting an encounter against two owl bears the first time I went into the forest. It was an excellent wake up call to what sort of game I was getting into.

In terms of... less pleasant memories, I've played Ghosts 'n Goblins on NES (enough said), and just like seemingly every child with a N64 in the 90s, I rented Quest 64 from Blockbuster and had no idea what I was doing.

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 07:06:20 am »
Street Fighter II (Arcade)

When Street Fighter II hit the Arcade around ‘92, everybody around me was talking about it. So I asked around how it was, one of my schoolmates talked about a guy in a white kimono throwing fireballs, I was hooked. Then he mentioned Blanka. So I asked him about Blanka. The guy said "It’s a Werewolf who can turn into a ball".

Saying I was disappointed when I saw Blanka for the first time would be a friggin’ understatement. To this day I often hear a malicious voice in my head whispering: "Screw you Blanka, you’re not a werewolf!".

PC-Engine GT Turbo Express

Back in those Good Days one of my dear friends -who was a diehard gamer liked me- opened a Gaming Shop. He started selling/renting games for the masses. I remember him testing games too. One day he was playing Final Fantasy 3, and I remember thinking he was wasting his time (I had never played an RPG at that point; years later I realized he was playing the "Lete River" ^^). Another day we were having fun playing The King of Fighters ’94 on the Neo-Geo, then Samurai Showdown 2. Now that was incredible: thoses sticks were pleasant in hand and very accurate.

Then one day the same friend lent me the portable "PC-Engine GT Turbo Express" with about 7 games. I recollect loading my black backpack with the whole stuff in a towel, yeah a towel, then went back home and played those games 2 weeks straight. There were some dang good games among these HuCards:

Aero Blaster: I liked this one so much I finished it several times, a memorable shooter,   
Gunhead: incredible graphics, music and gameplay. But hey I could never finish it,
Jackie Chan Action Kung-Fu: this platformer is still fun today,
Soccer Eleven: in retrospect it was pathetic, but for me back then it was the best soccer game eveeer,...

note: glad he lent me a loader too, because the Turbo Express could eat up 6 batteries in around 2 hours…
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 07:20:37 am by CrocMagnum »
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 09:06:25 am »
Heh, my TurboGrafx experience back in the day was Keith Courage(which I still like, despite the internet), Bonk(used to know just about every secret in this one), and Victory Run. Really like that Photograph Boy translation too.

I get nostalgic remembering things now, but I don't think I ever let thinks soak in when I was younger. I mean, I noticed things, but I was much more focused on surviving the gameplay.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 09:23:10 am »
Cool thread idea... my major gaming memories are mostly from the 90s; Black Isle Studios games in particular hold a special place in my heart, especially Planescape: Torment. I'll never forget
Spoiler:
getting destroyed by Lady of Pain for the first time
(didn't know that was possible back then!) Most locations in that game were quite memorable for me, especially the
Spoiler:
Pillar of Skulls/Fortress of Regrets.
What a masterpiece of a game! Another one is Fallout 1 (my favourite entry). I remember playing it not too long after it came out...
Spoiler:
visiting Necropolis and meeting the Master
back then were something special!

When it comes to console gaming, I have really fond memories of playing the Batman games, especially Batman Returns by Konami (I got it for Christmas; I remember that winter in the 90s quite well, tons of snow, great ambience). When it comes to console gaming, I would play mostly platformers, action games etc., I preferred PC adventure games/RPGs back then, so most of my memories pertain to those kinds of games. Another one I can think of - when I was little, I borrowed Wizards and Warriors 3 from a friend once; I somehow managed to reach the end without any walkthroughs back then, but I picked the wrong reply at the end and got an instant Game Over. That ending screen has been engraved in my memory ever since! It's still my favourite W&W game, but damn, that ending.

As for bad games... Back to the Future part 2 and 3 - I rented it at one point, had absolutely no idea what to do over the weekend and almost got a headache because of the high-pitched bird sound that happens whenever the little bastard shows up. Easily one of the worst games on the NES/possibly of all time.

Also, never owned PCE, nobody near me had it. In fact, I had only learned about it around the beginning of the emulation era, it really was a phantom system in my area. It is quite fun, but yeah, without emulation I would never have learned about it for sure.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 09:28:39 am by cccmar »

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 01:08:02 pm »
The Turbo was extremely rare, I'd say on par with the Master System for North American gamers. It never went to Europe, as I understand it, as well. The odd thing is, I lived in a rural area at the time, and still somehow saw TV commercials for it. It was supposed to only be advertised in major cities.

Badseed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 04:49:58 pm »
I think one of the games I have strong nostalgic feelings for is River City Ransom, I put a lot of time and energy sitting in front of the TV playing that one.
I also have great memories of playing intellivision over at my friends house.
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"

Eldrethor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 03:30:09 pm »
Mario Kart 64 gets me in the feels. There's something about the Rainbow Road and ending credits tracks that always makes me warm and fuzzy, and reminds me how 1997 truly was a simpler time.

JKPhage

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2021, 08:19:35 am »
The entirety of Legend of Legaia's first story arc is highly nostalgic for me (as are the first few towns of the second arc.) The setting and atmosphere that game had were unlike anything I'd ever played at the time, and the melancholic tone and desolate locations really sold you on what a dire state the world was in. I remember being legitimately unnerved by Zeto's first appearance, and to this day, the battle against the Berserker is still the first thing that comes to mind when I think "boss fight."

-snip-

In terms of... less pleasant memories, I've played Ghosts 'n Goblins on NES (enough said), and just like seemingly every child with a N64 in the 90s, I rented Quest 64 from Blockbuster and had no idea what I was doing.

Legend of Legaia has always been one of those games that will stay with me for life. The combat was so fun, the style was really great, and I loved the whole feel of the setting, story telling and tone. The music is absolutely haunting in some places and delightful in others. Nothing else has quite matched the exact feel I get from that music. And Berserker will forever be the hardest boss in all of RPG history. You can't change my mind.

I actually quite enjoyed Quest 64 myself, though it had a steep learning curve and some obvious flaws for having been rushed out in an incomplete state. It had this charming, classic NES adventure game feel to the story and setting, just adapted to 3D and in RPG form. I feel like, had it been given just a little more time or been put into production later, like near the end of the 64 life cycle, it would have been a lot more dynamic and the story would have shown through. Shannon, the character that shows up in every town and gives you hints only to rather unceremoniously appear before the final boss and announce that she is a puppet sent by him to spy on you, but you've changed her heart and made her want to live on in a better world is just begging to have been a party member, if the game had a party, and there are a good handful of options for a third slot-filler. There's just a lot of good ideas there that sadly never quite got the time to shine that they deserved, but it still holds a special place for me just because I think classic 3D adventure titles on the N64 are super charming, and I dig the low-poly blocky character models.

As for my biggest nostalgia fuzzies? I'd probably have to say Ape Escape on the PS1. I was on vacation with my family, and we had a house rented by the beach for a week, but we had some nasty weather headed our way, so my grandpa took me to the local rental store to pick out a game since I'd brought my playstation with me for late-night gaming. I don't know why I picked up Ape Escape in particular, but it caught my eye, and to say it blew my tiny mind to control all the action with dual sticks is an understatement. Like, people who were wowed by the motion controls on the Wii don't understand how close this felt to motion control back in the day. I couldn't put it down and as soon as we got home I started saving to buy my own copy. I've loved the characters, style and gameplay of that series ever since, but sitting there on a rainy night, in my comfy vacation bedroom with no bed time and tons of yummy vacation snacks and ice cream to keep me fueled just hit some perfect chord in me, and combined with something completely unique at the time, it cemented Ape Escape as one of my all-time favorites.

Jackie Lyn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2021, 02:42:25 pm »
Legend of Legaia has always been one of those games that will stay with me for life. The combat was so fun, the style was really great, and I loved the whole feel of the setting, story telling and tone. The music is absolutely haunting in some places and delightful in others. Nothing else has quite matched the exact feel I get from that music. And Berserker will forever be the hardest boss in all of RPG history. You can't change my mind.
Yeah, the whole setting and vibe of that game is definitely something to remember - such a beautifully melancholic world. And I definitely agree with you on the soundtrack. I feel like Chrono Cross tapped into a similar sort of mysterious, otherworldly vibe (and did so with an amazing soundtrack), but I struggled to get into its story.

According to an interview I read, the game's head writer Hidenori Shibao apparently had to fight for a lot of Legaia's more unique elements. He wanted to go in some less explored directions for the JRPG genre - no ancient prophecies with explicitly stated chosen ones, no traitor characters, a borderline post-apocalyptic setting, a strong sense of mystery - but management insisted on having stronger anime influences for marketing reasons, so plenty of creative head butting and compromising ensued. Shibao stated that he particularly hated the in-battle voice acting with all the anime-style attack call outs and the presence of real-world text in the game's world (i.e. the English word "Inn" being written on a sign.) He felt that they broke the sense of immersion. Neither of them seems like too big a deal to me (I personally find the voice acting quite memorable), but I think it does speak volumes about the writer's dedication to his world building.

As for Berserker, yeah, he destroyed me the first time I fought him. Spore Gas and Stone Circle are no joke. The second time I played the game, I decided to stop by Octam and pick up the Orb spell first - made my life a lot easier. Years later, I learned that you can actually cheese him with a Hell's Music instakill, but where's the fun in that?

I actually quite enjoyed Quest 64 myself, though it had a steep learning curve and some obvious flaws for having been rushed out in an incomplete state. It had this charming, classic NES adventure game feel to the story and setting, just adapted to 3D and in RPG form. I feel like, had it been given just a little more time or been put into production later, like near the end of the 64 life cycle, it would have been a lot more dynamic and the story would have shown through. Shannon, the character that shows up in every town and gives you hints only to rather unceremoniously appear before the final boss and announce that she is a puppet sent by him to spy on you, but you've changed her heart and made her want to live on in a better world is just begging to have been a party member, if the game had a party, and there are a good handful of options for a third slot-filler. There's just a lot of good ideas there that sadly never quite got the time to shine that they deserved, but it still holds a special place for me just because I think classic 3D adventure titles on the N64 are super charming, and I dig the low-poly blocky character models.
I guess my equivalent of this would be the infamous Beyond the Beyond. Yes, it's a deeply flawed game with a horrific encounter rate, a questionably designed combat system, and an opening story arc that drags on for far too long, but there's just something undeniably charming about the game's Shining Force-esque character designs and loving embrace of old-school fantasy settings. If Samson's cure was moved to the first Simone visit and the random encounters cut down to like a third of what they are, I feel like those positive elements would shine through a lot more.

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2021, 12:11:17 pm »
I was at an amusement park when I first saw Mortal Kombat, on a large screen played by skilled people. It was an impressive sight, with the blood, the human voices and animation, the gore. At the time, there had been umpteen variations of Street Fighter II, but this was an exciting departure. Seeing so much violence in a game was thrilling. It seems silly now, but culture in the US was (and remains) excessively puritanical, so it felt transgressive. Whereas Street Fighter II was a cartoon, MK was like the seedy real deal. I recognize now that it was also a cartoon, but that was a special moment that I knew was a cultural turning point.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2021, 06:59:48 pm »
I was at an amusement park when I first saw Mortal Kombat, on a large screen played by skilled people. It was an impressive sight, with the blood, the human voices and animation, the gore. At the time, there had been umpteen variations of Street Fighter II, but this was an exciting departure. Seeing so much violence in a game was thrilling. It seems silly now, but culture in the US was (and remains) excessively puritanical, so it felt transgressive. Whereas Street Fighter II was a cartoon, MK was like the seedy real deal. I recognize now that it was also a cartoon, but that was a special moment that I knew was a cultural turning point.

(Emphasis mine)

I would have said "Subversive." ...Idk why I wanted to point that out*.

*Oh yeah, I'm a nerd
Yamero~~!

JKPhage

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2021, 10:35:41 pm »

In the US at least, the 90's were definitely a sort of "coming of age" for the video game industry. In Japan there were obviously more adult games from the get-go, or at least games that had more adult humor/stories, but it was the 90's that brought us intentionally over-the-top gory stuff like Mortal Kombat, more emotional and deep RPG stories like those in Phantasy Star, and around the N64/PS1 era it took a *hard* left into sex appeal. I remember ads for the Gameboy in magazines that relied on gratuitous shots of a woman in a tennis outfit wearing a thong, and games like Forsaken had a random sexy woman on the cover that had nothing to do with the game. That's not even touching on the whole cultural phenomenon that was Lara Croft, and later on Fear Effect, taking a page from her book. That's when the US market realized that they could market to teens and adults with sexy and/or gruesome video games, or more mature, serious subject matter. It was sort of a subtle thing, but I distinctly remember growing up on more subdued subject matter, like ninjas, robots, Mario, Kirby and other such delightful mascot style characters, then just slowly starting to see more sex appeal in the ads, and more blood and such in games, and Mortal Kombat was really one of the first truly gorey games I can recall.

I can't help but think that that's part of the reason the N64 and PS1 were such a renaissance for 90's gaming, because they could still push out adorable/cartoony stuff like Mario 64, Bomberman, Crash and Spyro, but they also churned out stuff like Castlevania 64, Quake, Tomb Raider and Soul Reaver alongside RPGs that could be several times the length of previous such games with voice acting, animation and way more depth to them, and because the US market had realized that it wasn't just for kids anymore, and that the kids who cut their teeth on the NES were teens now and wanted more mature stuff, it was a prime market for such growth.