News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Convert from one format to another  (Read 669 times)

Pee_wee

• View Profile
Convert from one format to another
« on: June 15, 2021, 08:26:31 am »
Hi guys,

I hope you are all well. I am a new member and I would hope forward to learn from each one of you.

Pls, I have downloaded a few MegaDrive translations and some IPS are only compatible with the original ".bin" format. I have the original roms in ".md" format. So I had to use the "SBWin" to convert ".md" to ".bin". But once the patch is applied it is not possible to convert from ".bin" to ".md". So I manually changed the extension ".bin" to ".md" and it works fine. I would just like to know, if it is ok to do it that way.

I would appreciate any clarification.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Convert from one format to another
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 08:46:39 pm »
I would just like to know, if it is ok to do it that way.
Your question is unclear. Do you think someone is going to stop you..? Does the ROM not work in the emulator if it has a name ending in .bin?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Pee_wee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 09:22:28 pm »
I really appreciate your reply @Jorpho.

As I said, the translation patch is only compatible with the ".bin" rom. I have the ".md" rom. I had to use "SBWin" to convert my ".md" rom to ".bin". Once the patch was applied, I changed back from ".bin" to ".md", but changing the extension manually. It happens that "SBWin" does not support the ".md" format. I would like to know if it is ok to do it manually.

Regards.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 11:25:59 pm »
Once the patch was applied, I changed back from ".bin" to ".md", but changing the extension manually. It happens that "SBWin" does not support the ".md" format.
This doesn't make any sense. Surely you realize that changing the extension does not change the internal contents of the file, including its "format"? So why are you changing the extension?

I would like to know if it is ok to do it manually.
I also still don't understand why you are asking if it is "ok". If it works for you, why would it not be "ok"? Do you think your computer is going to explode or something..?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Pee_wee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 09:30:16 am »
I am so grateful for your reply, @Jorpho.

This is one of my paranoias, that's all. The reason to manually change the extension to ".md", is just for aesthetics, that's it. I have all the roms in ".md" format. I just wanted to be sure that it won't alter the game.

phonymike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 10:54:40 am »
The SMD and BIN formats are two different formats:

BIN format:
Code: [Select]
SEGA GENESIS    (C)SEGA 1992.SEP
SONIC THE             HEDGEHOG 2
                SONIC THE       
      HEDGEHOG 2               

SMD format:
EAGNSS  CSG 92SPOI H       EGHG2
        OI H       EGHG2       
M0015-1Q        ........       
                        U       

The SMD format is interleaved/swapped, and might have a 512 byte header at the beginning. The emulator you're using probably doesn't notice the .md or .bin, it will determine which format the ROM is in and play it correctly. Some or most of your games that have a .md extension are actually in BIN format.

What I would do is convert the ROM to BIN format, apply the patch, then convert to SMD format. For this you can use uCON64 (it's command line utility).

Convert to BIN format:
ucon64 --bin game.md
Convert to SMD format:
ucon64 --smd game.bin

uCON64 will show you which format the ROM is in. Look for this in the output:

BIN format:
Magicom/BIN/RAW
Interleaved/Swapped: No
Backup unit/emulator header: No