News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Dragon Quest I+II Addendum Fix by Rod Merida  (Read 36580 times)

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest I+II Addendum Fix by Rod Merida
« Reply #200 on: June 27, 2021, 06:48:15 am »
"An unique name"??? Lol.
How many possible ways are there to translate Me (Eye) in Japanese, and Tama (Ball)?

Yours is also my alternate translation for the enemy Medalord like Eyebalord (that you have never mentioned in this forum)?

I do have capacity for coming up with those things. I did it constantly in my Spanish translation. Why would this one be different if I see a Japanese name had been left untranslated?
Nob Ogaswara attempted to take a more faithful approach to Dragon Quest with the GBC series, and the best he came up with was Eyeder.

You behave like Eyeba is so obvious, but the fact that Meda references the word for medama is not so obvious to your typical fan translator who relies almost completely on dictionaries.

Our list of unique spell names functions the same way. In the majority of cases, we translated the Japanese base word (which was never accurately translated in other versions of the spell names) and we contort them in the same way. They nearly all function like our translation of Eyeba. Yet RPGONE just arbitrarily held to prexisting, arbitrary localization choices. Yet in other matters they "attempted" fresh, Japanese-loyal translations. What is the criteria they used which to follow? What is the criteria you use in what to change versus what to keep? I really don't think there is any criteria...

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 27, 2021, 06:50:36 am »
You behave like Eyeba is so obvious, but the fact that Meda references the word for eyeball is not so obvious to your typical fan translator who relies almost completely on dictionaries.
メーダ
It's obvious since the moment that "da" ダ appears written in katakana and not in hiragana だ, as it would be mandatory if it was a normal Japanese word.

What is the criteria you use in what to change versus what to keep? I really don't think there is any criteria...
Whatever non-translated (in Japanese), and whatever glitched. I think it's clear by taking a look to the readme, and the list of corrections.
What doesn't include changing gods to God, nor Stones of Sunlight to Stone of Sunlight, for example.

nejimakipiyo

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 27, 2021, 06:58:05 am »
The whole name is in katakana. They typically don't mix the two, so having メ―だ would be a very strange name even for Japanese people to read. Your explanation of how you're coming up with the name Eyeba is very flimsy considering you didn't change it until Chicken Knife explained it.

I will no longer be giving you my list of translation errors, if this is the way you're reacting. I do not trust you. If and when I complete that extensive list, it will be published in a Delocalized thread only, alongside publishing of our patch if we choose to do it.

This is the last interaction I'll have with you, because you really are insufferable. I've thought it for a long time, but using our translation without credit is really the last straw. If you're as capable at Japanese as you claim to be, and capable at English as you claim to be, you'll be able to find and fix those numerous errors yourself. If you can't, you should stop making erroneous claims.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 07:03:50 am by nejimakipiyo »

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 27, 2021, 07:02:03 am »
I didn't change it because I was not focused in changing the script, just correcting glitches, and I had not noticed there was that untranslated name (that anyway I had translated months before to Spanish with no complication). In the moment I notice I start searching for the most suitable translation. I know already Me is Eye in Japanese, and Tama / -Dama is ball, so Eyeball, a little shortened, makes all the sense of the world. I just doubted about what spelling was better, and more understandable, either Eyebo or Eyeba.

This is 2+2=4.

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 27, 2021, 07:02:44 am »
Whatever non-translated (in Japanese), and whatever glitched. I think it's clear by taking a look to the readme, and the list of corrections.
What doesn't include changing gods to God, nor Stones of Sunlight to Stone of Sunlight, for example.
It's for the best that you leave the errors related to lack of thought, lack of gathering context, so that the translation remains what it was. It should not be artificially improved based on our commentary resulting from our work on a better translation.

And their Meda was not an accidental occurrence of something they didn't translate. It was deliberate. Transliterating was the best thing they could produce based on their level of skill and their (lack of) commitment to research.

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 27, 2021, 07:06:16 am »
It's for the best that you leave the errors related to lack of thought, lack of gathering context, so that the translation remains what it was.
So you may find a self-justification to make your rewrite, no?
Because I guess there's not much more than those little things left, and I have removed you one of them without noticing, Lol. Just by not leaving a word in row Japanese and putting something.

You're funny, guys.
You want to have the full collection of Dragon Quest's made by yourselves, Lol.

At least if you were Welsh, northern Scottish or something you could translate them to Welsh, Gaelic or something like that. Haha. That'd be very interesting.

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 27, 2021, 07:12:06 am »
So you may find a self-justification to make your rewrite, no?
Because I guess there's not much more than those little things left
To sound like someone else for a moment:
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

You're funny, guys.
You want to have the full collection of Dragon Quest's made by yourselves, Lol.
Square-Enix would be smart to pay us, if it wasn't for the fact that the mainstream English audience has become entirely addicted to their constant artificial puns and ridiculous accents.

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 27, 2021, 07:15:38 am »
How you don't want me to laugh, you both have over reacted, calling me selfish and "thief". It was completely unimagined, and unexpected.
Really, those laughs transcriptions are a 2% of how they are in real life right now.

Quote from: Chicken Knife
Square-Enix would be smart to pay us, if it wasn't for the fact that the mainstream English audience has become entirely addicted to their constant artificial puns and ridiculous accents.

Hahaha.
You don't like their "thou"s.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 27, 2021, 07:16:22 am »
Aren't some of the puns in the raw? Seems a very Japanese thing to do.

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 27, 2021, 07:20:17 am »
Aren't some of the puns in the raw? Seems a very Japanese thing to do.
1/10th of them, and usually when there is a pun in Japanese, it was ironically rendered without a pun in these new official translations

To quote my native Japanese speaking friend and partner who played Dragon Quest in Japan as a child, when he first encountered our contemporary English versions:

"They have turned Dragon Quest into a joke"
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 07:40:30 am by Chicken Knife »

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 27, 2021, 07:27:55 am »
1/10th of them, and usually when there is a pun in Japanese, it was ironically rendered without a pun in these new translations

How exagerated you are! You don't like the slightest improvement over the original in a translation!
What kind of hardcore Japanese fanboy-ism is this?
You are the kind of people that would replace "son of a submariner" or "welcome to my barbecue" by "bummer" and "burn 'till you die" (making it loose personality and bright)!

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 27, 2021, 07:31:47 am »
How exagerated you are! You don't like the slightest improvement over the original in a translation!
You are the kind of people that would replace "son of a submariner" or "welcome to my barbecue" by "bummer" and "burn 'till you die"!
We believe in faithful translations that do not take wild liberties. But when we offer our faithful translations, unlike many of those of our disposition who have gone before us, we make it sound great.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 27, 2021, 07:35:18 am »
Kinda hate when people "spice up" translations honestly. A good example is the old smt3 nocturne translation that rendered yes/no prompts to various overblown reactions.

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 27, 2021, 07:36:24 am »
Correction: we are hardcore Yuji Horii fanboys. If we were dealing with other Japanese text, it's very likely we would not be so passionate or protective.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 27, 2021, 07:41:57 am »
To go off topic just to cool down this topic, have you played the Dragon Quest 5 ps2 translation? How is it? I am hoping for a better translation of 3 snes (tho 3 snes is decent) and 4 ds or psx soon

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 27, 2021, 07:52:08 am »
To go off topic just to cool down this topic, have you played the Dragon Quest 5 ps2 translation? How is it? I am hoping for a better translation of 3 snes (tho 3 snes is decent) and 4 ds or psx soon
We haven't dissected it, and we haven't done any serious work on 5 that lead us to reference it. All I can tell you is some very high level reactions. I've played it a couple times before I got into the fan translation game. (I have different eyes now) Nejimakipiyo has read through some chunks of its text on a sample basis recently.

At the time, I thought it came across as pretty clear and professional. Probably more buttoned up as far as quality control than the DeJap / Partial Translations SFC script. However, I felt that Dejap / Partial Translations produced something that felt a little warmer and more vibrant.  I adore Dragon Quest 5, and I'm very curious how my perceptions will evolve when we begin work on it.

Nejimakipiyo felt that the PS2 DQ Translations script gave the impression of competence, but their reactions are based on very little so far. I believe they are interested in playing that version at some point in the near future.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 07:50:20 am by Chicken Knife »

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 27, 2021, 07:55:45 am »
Yeah was just asking about DQ translations. I am guessing the ds version has accents a plenty and will make me cry

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 27, 2021, 07:56:43 am »
Yeah was just asking about DQ translations. I am guessing the ds version has accents a plenty and will make me cry
It's probably when this contemporary localization team were at the absolute height of their "spicing up". So, yeah.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 27, 2021, 07:59:36 am »
I hope someone uses the new patch for dq4ds that puts the party banter back in to delocalize

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 27, 2021, 08:06:09 am »
I hope someone uses the new patch for dq4ds that puts the party banter back in to delocalize
In spite of wanting to do the whole series, there's no way it can happen with the way I live. I often secretly wish I was one of those single guys who lives in a basement. Then yes, we would do the whole series. :laugh:

If anyone wants to take inspiration and follow the mold of our work, then by all means (with due credit of course).