News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Dragon Quest I+II Addendum Fix by Rod Merida  (Read 39824 times)

RodMerida

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest I+II Addendum Fix by Rod Merida
« Reply #180 on: June 25, 2021, 04:51:49 pm »
non-vertigo inducing splash screen
Hahahahahahahaha.

when he has made his feelings and expectations so clear.
Well, people can't say at least I'm not transparent. I say the things as I see them at any moment.

Spanish is not English
Don't forget we are 500 million native speakers, more or less, distributed in around 23 countries.
Just the number of people that study and learn Spanish is pretty smaller, more comparable to French, but it's growing everyday.
Also it's a language with a very long and large written tradition (not so large like Latin, Arabic or Hebrew, anyway), that lets you access a very abundant literature, much of it of much quality, as well as much recorded material.
That gives you an idea that the possibility someone wants to learn how to ROMhack at any moment and tries to do a translation of whatever game is not small.
We see it everyday in ROMhacking.net community: the number of released translations to Spanish per day is far bigger than the number to French, German, even Portuguese (with Brazil) and other European languages (what for me is a good symptom). Also, translating to English from Japanese is not easy: but we have a bunch, an ocean of translations to English, or games officially in English, to translate to Spanish more or less easily.

Who is going to invest that required amount of knowledge, time and skill to rewrite an RPG translation? Not many if the pre-existing work(s) are of quality.

The problem here in my point of view comes with those self-alledged translators that use automatic translation software (wave?) for generating patches of poor quality, for those games that don't offer much difficulty in terms of character table decyphering and font editing, as is the example of Dragon Quest 1+2, in a constant search for self-protagonism and visibility in the community that in my point of view adds more noise than something valuable or useful.
And it's not my wish to contribute to that or feed it in any way if it's in my hand, I'm sorry.

I think a phenomenon like this doesn't exist in the English speaking translator community, does it? Correct me if I'm wrong. I may agree more or less with retranslations I see here, and their need, but they're mostly serious. I may not agree with SkyRender FF6 retranslation (for example), but I have played it years ago, it's playable and offers an acceptable experience. Same for Bahamut Lagoon one, that Recca has mentioned. It was unnecessary, but serious.

Is there a point to re-translating a game that already has a completed translation? The answer is sometimes, but usually no.
P.S.: By the way, completely agree with Recca in everything mentioned.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 06:10:20 pm by RodMerida »

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 25, 2021, 06:38:24 pm »
Don't forget we are 500 million native speakers, more or less, distributed in around 23 countries.
Apologies if I sounded like I was insulting the Spanish language itself. Far from. I was saying that I just haven't seen this tendency for lots of rewrites in any other language than English.

The problem here in my point of view comes with those self-alledged translators that use automatic translation software (wave?) for generating patches of poor quality, for those games that don't offer much difficulty in terms of character table decyphering and font editing, as is the example of Dragon Quest 1+2, in a constant search for self-protagonism and visibility in the community that in my point of view adds more noise than something valuable or useful.
And it's not my wish to contribute to that or feed it in any way if it's in my hand, I'm sorry.
While part of me agrees with this danger, I also stop and think about how I got started a few years ago. There was a DQ1 text editor. It had far more limitations and bugs than actual value, but it made it easy for me to get started. I used that to produce a very unprofessional initial version of my Delocalized retranslation, at that time based on a retranslation text document online by someone named x_loto. (subsequently I learned that his work was full of errors and at this point, there is really no trace of it in ours) As I became more and more serious, learned a little real hacking, and forged close friendships with people who happened to have the skills I was missing, I was able to continuously rework that pathetic initial retranslation into something I'm extremely proud of. So, while I initially probably brought the community very little in my contribution, I think that something grew out of it. And also, people supported my aspirations from the very beginning, in spite of my grievous limitations. There are some prominent figures who were among them. So you get my point. Not every newbie taking advantage of easy tools will fit this stereotype.

I think a phenomenon like this doesn't exist in the English speaking translator community, does it? Correct me if I'm wrong. I may agree more or less with retranslations I see here, and their need, but they're mostly serious. I may not agree with SkyRender FF6 retranslation (for example), but I have played it years ago, it's playable and offers an acceptable experience. Same for Bahamut Lagoon one, that Recca has mentioned. It was unnecessary, but serious.
I agree that they tend to all be pretty serious, and I respect that. None of the FF6 retranslations give me exactly what I want, and I find that frustrating with their being so many, but in spite of all the confusion the diversity has caused, I can't fault any of them for not being serious.

JKPhage

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 25, 2021, 08:06:03 pm »

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #183 on: June 26, 2021, 02:14:57 am »
Nice attitude.

Rewrites are a touchy subject around here. Knowing how this topic has rambled on, there's been another 9000 script edits for Chrono Trigger.

JKPhage

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 26, 2021, 02:24:14 am »
Rewrites are a touchy subject around here. Knowing how this topic has rambled on, there's been another 9000 script edits for Chrono Trigger.

Read the context. Someone pointed out that the splash could cause vertigo and he laughed. He also laughed earlier at the suggestion that it could trigger epilepsy.

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #185 on: June 26, 2021, 02:46:29 am »
I don't think Rod means any ill with that laugh, he probably thought it was a genuinely funny comment.
I also though the non-static splash screen was quite the sensory overload, but tne static one looks great.

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 26, 2021, 02:49:48 am »
Hell... I *intended* it as a funny comment, and I was glad he laughed.
Let's relax a little, please.

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 26, 2021, 04:28:44 am »
Let's take life with a little of humour. Humour is important in life!
Nice attitude.
I have a humouristic attitude towards life!

Quote from: Chicken Knife
I just haven't seen this tendency for lots of rewrites in any other language than English.
I think that's because of the difficulty of the Japanese language and its script. Rewriting is always easier than translating a new thing from Japanese from scratch.

But English uses Latin alphabet with nearly a 60% of Latin words. So making a new translation is always easier.

Quote from: Chicken Knife
Apologies if I sounded like I was insulting the Spanish language itself.
Of course you didn't sound like that.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 05:54:12 am by RodMerida »

nejimakipiyo

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 26, 2021, 09:07:36 am »
Although you requested a full list of errors all at once, I feel the need to bring up this specific error sooner.

It looks like a letter overshot the dialogue box and caused a minor text bug.

This could easily be resolved by using a proper translation for the object: Stone of Sunlight. :P It's a single object, not multiple.

(BTW, I've gotten to Rimuldar and back to Radatome again for magic key doors, and so far my list of translation errors is at 30. This doesn't include the lines with really bad English. I'm focusing on the translation alone.)

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 26, 2021, 10:31:39 am »
That "t" overflow was repaired already, I don't remember if in the current version that is released or in the new one that will be uploaded probably this evening or tomorrow, when I have time to check and fix the DQ1 level 30 bug (RPGone's version doesn't let you save the game after reaching level 30 in DQ1, where the Japanese version does let you; I think it's easily fixable; I hope so).

Due to a matter of editorial respect, I'm leaving RPGOne team's translation decisions unchanged. That's not my task, just to make fully playable without glitches that historical translation (that I think is a good job even though there're those little freedoms or licenses).

By the way, how do you difference Stones and Stone in plural or singular in Japanese there? Usually Japanese doesn't tend to specify plural or singular in most of words, except for some names of people, does it?

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 26, 2021, 12:12:06 pm »
Some people can't exist unless they have something to complain about, just ignore them.  The patch is fantastic and the intro is no more than a second.  Look away if you don't like it, play the game without the patch, make your own patch, play a different game, rapidly push the B button and close your eyes, etc.  Tons of solutions, all of them easier than wasting energy to complain here.  I don't mind it. I check my Facebook or emails quickly during the intro screens of most games since most people are capable of multi-tasking these days so just do that.  Seems like the easiest solution if the patch is otherwise acceptable to people.

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #191 on: June 26, 2021, 05:33:56 pm »
By the way, how do you difference Stones and Stone in plural or singular in Japanese there? Usually Japanese doesn't tend to specify plural or singular in most of words, except for some names of people, does it?

Probably context is required. Playing through the scene and checking things out.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 05:41:13 pm by Red Soul »

nejimakipiyo

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 26, 2021, 09:37:21 pm »

Exactly as Red Soul said, and like I explained before with God vs Gods, it's context. You cannot arbitrarily assign a plural to a word because the word can technically be plural. When you have to name something important like a legendary item, it's important to gather the context before deciding on a name. In this case, here is what we have for context:
1. When you open the treasure chest to get the Stone of Sunlight, you see an image of a single orange stone rising from the treasure chest.
2. The official art for the item looks like this.

Due to a matter of editorial respect, I'm leaving RPGOne team's translation decisions unchanged.

Yes, you should leave their wrong decisions alone. It suits them.

Speaking of which, I noticed you put our translation "Eyeba" in this. Maybe you agree that our translation is better than leaving it untranslated. But I'm really not happy with someone picking and choosing bits and pieces of our translation that they like, to put in a poor quality translation. I'd appreciate if you remove Eyeba and substitute in an official name for that monster. Or make up something yourself.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 09:53:42 pm by nejimakipiyo »

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #193 on: June 26, 2021, 10:05:18 pm »
Speaking of which, I noticed you put our translation "Eyeba" in this. Maybe you agree that our translation is better than leaving it untranslated. But I'm really not happy with someone picking and choosing bits and pieces of our translation that they like, to put in a poor quality translation. I'd appreciate if you remove Eyeba and substitute in an official name for that monster. Or make up something yourself.

Is that a shortening of some sort for aiboru or something of that nature? I haven't seen the monster, but this occurred to me.

Masaru

• lmao
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 26, 2021, 10:36:22 pm »
If there's a translation fix for DQ3 in the works

It's there a way to restore the asterisk? For some reason they got rid of it in the DQ Translations patch

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 27, 2021, 05:54:41 am »
I'd appreciate if you remove Eyeba and substitute in an official name for that monster. Or make up something yourself.

Hahahahahahaha.
I just saw that enemy name, Meda, was untranslated, what makes no sense, and following my current criterium of translating whatever Japanese text remained untranslated in RPGOne's translation (since my patch intends to make it fully playable), I translated it by what I considered is its most equivalent translation, that is Eyeball, by removing some letter in the tail, since the name Meda is a cut name in Japanese, too.
So it's not "our translation". It's the translation.
And I didn't have much space avalaible in names strings for putting something else, anyway.

So there are not many other choices.
Not that you have invented the only possible translation of that word to English. You're going to patent the dictionary?

So I'm afraid that's not going to happen.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 06:01:58 am by RodMerida »

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 27, 2021, 06:19:45 am »
Hahahahahahaha.
I just saw that enemy name, Meda, was untranslated, what makes no sense, and following my current criterium of translating whatever Japanese text remained untranslated in RPGOne's translation (since my patch intends to make it fully playable), I translated it by what I considered is its most equivalent translation, that is Eyeball, by removing some letter in the tail, since the name Meda is a cut name in Japanese, too.
So it's not "our translation". It's the translation.
And I didn't have much space avalaible in names strings for putting something else, anyway.

So there are not many other choices.
Not that you have invented the only possible translation of that word to English. You're going to patent the dictionary?

So I'm afraid that's not going to happen.
And you didn't even have the decency to give credit in your readme, acting like you came up with this yourself after we literally spelled out *our* creative thought process for arriving at this name right here in this thread.

Your fickle and egotistical behavior really is insufferable at times.

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 27, 2021, 06:24:11 am »
What!?
For a word I translated myself looking up in dictionaries??
How come??
It'd be even offending to mention someone just for a word!!
And how many other people have ever mentioned me things that I've fixed without being officially in the team of betatesters of the project (what implies playing the whole game and continuously reporting me whatever error they see even with screenshots! Those are the people I'm mentioning, due to matters of space, brevity and many other factors!)

Your fickleness and ego really is insufferable at times.
This is surrealistic, seriously!
Am I dreaming??

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 27, 2021, 06:27:34 am »
Someone noting bugs and issues like that is different than co-opting a unique name produced by others with neither permission or credits.

The real fact is that we think Eyeba is far too elegant for a translation where the translators had no professional capacity for coming up with such a thing on their own.

But being respectful about it towards us would have probably made stomaching it easier.

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 27, 2021, 06:34:48 am »
"An unique name"??? Lol.
How many possible ways are there to translate Me (Eye) in Japanese, and Tama (Ball)?

Yours is also my alternate translation for the enemy Medalord like Eyebalord (that you have never mentioned in this forum)?

I do have capacity for coming up with those names by myself. I did it constantly in my Spanish translation. Why would this one be different if I see a Japanese name had been left untranslated?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 06:43:01 am by RodMerida »