News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Dragon Quest I+II Addendum Fix by Rod Merida  (Read 34171 times)

Special

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest I+II Addendum Fix by Rod Merida
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2021, 05:42:06 pm »
All I did on the newest patch was to replace 5C 00 84 26 5C 04 80 00 with D8 78 18 FB C2 10 E2 20 and it removes the splash screen

Did this for v1.02 and it worked, doing this for v1.03 and it does not, black screen.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2021, 06:14:47 pm »
Rodmerida I do wish to apologize for the anger over such a small (if annoying) thing and thank you for finally fixing this. Intros are a love it or hate it thing and some people REALLY hate them, but really we hate game breaking bugs more.

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2021, 06:52:29 pm »
That's what I have noticed; some people seem to prefere to play with game breaking than with a cracktro, Lol.

I even offer intermediate solutions and get no answer, just "I don't want your patch, thank you".

A splash there has to be (a non-removable one, by the way): otherwise someone may arrive, write nonsense over the English text and say he has translated it from Japanese, when he is just reinterpreting the RPGOne's script and just changing it to whatever goes out of his imagination and feels like, then say he has translated it from Japanese from scratch.
I can't allow this.
For a matter of respect to the original translator's work.
I'm here to protect his legacy!

Whoever wants to write his inventions will have a beautiful spinning screen telling the truth.

I've said my last word.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 07:12:40 pm by RodMerida »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2021, 07:25:01 pm »
Did this for v1.02 and it worked, doing this for v1.03 and it does not, black screen.

Can you PM the 1.02 patch? I would rather use an incomplete patch without the splash screen than a completed patch with that spinning nightmare.

Choppasmith

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2021, 07:28:33 pm »
That's what I have noticed; some people seem to prefere to play with game breaking than with a cracktro, Lol.

I even offer intermediate solutions and get no answer, just "I don't want your patch, thank you".

A splash there has to be (a non-removable one, by the way): otherwise someone may arrive, write nonsense over the English text and say he has translated it from Japanese, when he is just reinterpreting the RPGOne's script and just changing it to whatever goes out of his imagination and feels like, then say he has translated it from Japanese from scratch.
I can't allow this.

Whoever wants to write his inventions will have a beautiful spinning screen telling the truth.

I've said my last word.

I just want to reiterate what I said earlier in this thread and thank you for your hard work in fixing these bugs that have lingered for YEARS. I think you have every right to add your own personal splash screen.

I, myself, plan to port the
official Mobile/Switch script 1:1 to the SNES versions once I'm done with the NES games. I intend to use whatever best version of the English patch available as a base since the groundwork for English text is already there. If you're not okay with this, let me know as I don't want to step on anyone's toes. I just want fans a way to play the games "officially" without the awful mobile touch interface or bad upscaling of the Switch version.

lilpuddy31

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2021, 07:39:08 pm »
Can you PM the 1.02 patch? I would rather use an incomplete patch without the splash screen than a completed patch with that spinning nightmare.

This is getting really stupid. You see it for less than a second, just press the B button when it shows up and continue about your day. People are acting like it is there during gameplay... This community is getting a rare celebration with this game finally being completed, but yeah let's ruin it all with complaining about a simple splash screen. Get over yourselves.

Choppasmith

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2021, 07:48:24 pm »
This is getting really stupid. You see it for less than a second, just press the B button when it shows up and continue about your day. People are acting like it is there during gameplay... This community is getting a rare celebration with this game finally being completed, but yeah let's ruin it all with complaining about a simple splash screen. Get over yourselves.
I haven't had the chance to play this patch. It's really that quick? Geeze, I posted earlier saying I could understand thinking it stayed on the screen for a good while and the colors really bothered people but sheesh.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2021, 07:49:06 pm »

It's my choice to care about the splash screen, just like it's your choice not to care about the splash screen. Get over yourselves.

PRG

• View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2021, 07:52:24 pm »
I can't say I'm a huge fan of splash screens myself, but I don't mind too much. I'd just be concerned as to how it will affect those who have photosensitive epilepsy due to the rainbow colors and the spinning.

But I'm happy to see people iron out these ancient bugs that have plagued this game for a very long time, so thank you for your hard work.

I just want to reiterate what I said earlier in this thread and thank you for your hard work in fixing these bugs that have lingered for YEARS. I think you have every right to add your own personal splash screen.

official Mobile/Switch script 1:1 to the SNES versions once I'm done with the NES games. I intend to use whatever best version of the English patch available as a base since the groundwork for English text is already there. If you're not okay with this, let me know as I don't want to step on anyone's toes. I just want fans a way to play the games "officially" without the awful mobile touch interface or bad upscaling of the Switch version.

I just wanted to say, in spite of this becoming a bit off-topic, thank you for your work on Re-Quest. I have been a fan of the modern localizations for this series, so I have been most excited to see your projects for quite a while. I'm looking forward to your eventual work on the SNES ports, since the NES versions kick my butt quite thoroughly. I wish you the best on your project.

I really wish the switch ports didn't upscale the sprites, it was almost the definitive version of 1 and 2.

lilpuddy31

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2021, 07:59:47 pm »
I haven't had the chance to play this patch. It's really that quick? Geeze, I posted earlier saying I could understand thinking it stayed on the screen for a good while and the colors really bothered people but sheesh.

Granted, it will stay on the screen as long as you let it stay, but like I said if you press the B button its stay is short

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2021, 09:28:21 pm »
If anyone wants to remove the splash screen in the latest patch, just change the entire first line to:

D8 78 18 FB C2 10 E2 20 A9 01 8D 0D 42 A2 FF 02

However, if you do that, it seems to break Dragon Quest 2. I can't proceed after entering my name.

This is because the game references the bootcode again. Here's the full method on how to disable the intro...

Code: [Select]
0x000000: D87818FBC210E220A9
0x04B002: 5C70FF09

To the left are the offsets to change and to the right are the byte values to change to. In any case, the patch looks great, and I applaud the efforts of RodMerida.

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2021, 09:34:19 pm »
The hacking work is indeed excellent, just a milder splash screen would be welcome.
No one here is trying to deny due credit, far from it, but a static logo or image with not many colors would be better, I think.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2021, 09:43:47 pm »
Note I do not like the splash screen but I REALLY don't like hostile and rude reactions to it.
Honestly I am guessing if there wasn't such a angery rude response maybe a dialog could be opened and a compromise be achieved, or maybe not but there is still no reason to be so hostile.

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2021, 09:55:14 pm »
Note I do not like the splash screen but I REALLY don't like hostile and rude reactions to it.
Honestly I am guessing if there wasn't such a angery rude response maybe a dialog could be opened and a compromise be achieved, or maybe not but there is still no reason to be so hostile.

Probably, but that ship has probably sailed by this point, if I were to hazard a guess.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2021, 10:49:27 pm »
This is because the game references the bootcode again. Here's the full method on how to disable the intro...

Code: [Select]
0x000000: D87818FBC210E220A9
0x04B002: 5C70FF09

To the left are the offsets to change and to the right are the byte values to change to. In any case, the patch looks great, and I applaud the efforts of RodMerida.

Thanks FCandChill!

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2021, 01:05:38 am »
The hacking work is indeed excellent, just a milder splash screen would be welcome.
No one here is trying to deny due credit, far from it, but a static logo or image with not many colors would be better, I think.

Okay. I will do it. Promise!

June 21, 2021, 01:10:05 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

I have no problem you do that. It's legitimate in my point of view.
When you have done it if you need help for removing the splash screen or changing it by something else I will provide it.
Your thing can't be more legitimate.

June 21, 2021, 01:12:27 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

It's immediate. No fading away effect. If you keep the B button pressed since you turn on you don't even see it.
Removing the spinning is not that easy, I will have to invent some machine code, but I'll do my best.

June 21, 2021, 01:26:41 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I'm looking forward to your eventual work on the SNES ports, since the NES versions kick my butt quite thoroughly. I wish you the best on your project.

I really wish the switch ports didn't upscale the sprites, it was almost the definitive version of 1 and 2.

I can't agree more with you. The initiative this man intends to do is a praiseworthy one.

June 21, 2021, 01:27:21 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
In any case, the patch looks great, and I applaud the efforts of RodMerida.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 01:29:54 am by RodMerida »

JKPhage

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2021, 01:30:23 am »

For the record, not that it even needs to be stated since you can literally see his responses in this very thread, people complained about it and his response was to laugh at them and basically act like a troll, and when I called him out for it, he responded in the same manner. The splash screen is obnoxious. RPGONE got away with it almost two decades ago when splash screens were common things on basic roms, put there by whatever ripper or scene release group dumped them to claim credit for the game. It was just how things were back then. These days most people don't care for obnoxious additions to their games. I wouldn't even mind it that much if it was even a functional splash screen, but it's not. It sits there and spins around making it impossible to read, so it's just a big, flashing hot mess that serves no purpose whatsoever, however quick it may be able to skip past. When someone points this out and your initial reaction across the board is to laugh it off and act like a troll, the problem isn't with the people, it's with you. That's why a lot of people got mad/upset over it.

He's adjusted his tone now and is acting more civil, and open to changing it, but that doesn't excuse the fact that he's the one that responded to valid criticism with trollish behavior. If the blame lies with anyone for "attitude" around this hack, it's him. Personally, I think the splash screen should go entirely and if he insists on having his name somewhere on the rom itself, he can add a footnote to the title screen or something like everyone else does. If he insists on it staying then it at least needs to be something completely different so it at least serves a purpose and is less likely to give people with photosensitive epilepsy a seizure. It it's gonna be there it should be something safe and something that actually serves a purpose instead of just being a useless spinning text show-off because he thinks 90's cracktros were "beautiful".

Also, Rod, you responded to me earlier to say that Krisan's patch is worse than yours because it breaks text windows when it does not. I've played through the entirety of DQ1 and never had a single problem with text windows. You're putting yourself up against a patch that does everything yours does without a splash screen that is, at best, divisive and at worst obnoxious. It would be very simple to solve the problem outright by listening to what people are asking instead of digging in your heels and insisting that something people don't like is okay because *you* like it.

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2021, 01:38:52 am »
A troll why?
I think everything I've said so far is reasonable.
I've even offered solutions (like removing the spinning).

I was civil since the beginning. Just saw a lot of people over reacting with that during days and I got amazed. As a proverb from my land says: "Receive bad weather with good face."

And I won't spot the title screen with my name. I have no right to do that. That would be worse. Who am I to plague an Akira Toriyama title screen from 87/93 with my anonymous name? That's not having the slightest editorial respect.
The splash, at least, it's obvious it doesn't belong to the original game, since it's a cracktro; that's why I added it like that.

Anyway, don't worry, I will solve it.

My cracktro is not "safe"? Lol. Really?

P.S.: Many people have shared screenshots with battle dialog windows broken with that patch. Besides, not everybody likes oficial modern names, or not that much for bearing that.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 01:54:44 am by RodMerida »

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2021, 02:18:13 am »
I think a modernized naming convention option would be a nice plus, for those that prefer it, while those that don't can play the existing patch as is.
While it is impossible to suit every person's particular tastes, having coverage in broad strokes is always welcome when it is possible.

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2021, 02:43:34 am »

I can't allow this.

I've said my last word.
Wow. Your ignorance over what my Translation Quest group does is simply astounding. I'd normally be happy to explain, but our previous correspondence demonstrates how non-existent your interest is in understanding.