News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Dragon Quest I+II Addendum Fix by Rod Merida  (Read 36848 times)

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
Re: Dragon Quest I+II Addendum Fix by Rod Merida
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2021, 08:20:33 pm »
I had issues with Lunar IPS. Can you try with FLIPS instead?

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1040/

Choppasmith

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2021, 09:24:50 pm »
I've tried as many different versions of the rom as I can find, and tried it on multiple emulators and the result is the same.

See the window that says the monster name is cut. and then that corner of a window peeking out in the second one. It's not a big glitch, but it is there.
I'd be interested in what went into you not getting it, but I guess this might technically be off topic, and also, isn't important.

I haven’t touched DQ1+2 hacking yet (I know I’ll get there  :-\) but I remember Krisan’s patch had a fix for the enemy bar so it could display Prestidigitator (making it a little wider by a couple tiles). If it’s ANYTHING like the NES games there’s a value somewhere affecting window size and placement maybe moving it left a couple of tiles might fix that.

On the other hand, I don’t know why laserlambert is getting it and not anyone else. It might be a hero  name length issue since it’s only supposed to be 4 letters but it was hacked to allow 8 letters.

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2021, 09:57:01 am »
Glad I'm not the only one who had quite a reaction when the splash screen booted. Almost though my pc was hijacked... I think Would look way better if that « thing » didnt spin on the screen with such saturated colors.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

How may this poor splash screen bite you?

JKPhage

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2021, 10:59:40 am »
LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

How may this poor splash screen bite you?

This is not how you should respond to valid criticism. Your splash screen is O B N O X I O U S. You can't even read the damn thing because it's spinning in a circle, meaning it's not only obnoxious, it's pointless as well. Are you aware that the rom used for this patch comes from the "No-Intro" set, so named specifically because "scene" releasers used to rip games and stick their own such obnoxious splash screens in front of them? People *hated it*. I get it, you want credit for your work, but nobody can read the method you've used, and you could have just as easily added a line of text to the title screen along with copyright information with a "Bugfixed by RodMerida" line.

Let me be blunt: You splash screen sucks. It was a bad decision on your part. There is literally a response in this thread explaining to people how to remove it via a hex editor. Nobody likes it. Nobody wants it. When people tell you things like this, don't laugh like a troll and make fun of them. You're the one that was so desperate for recognition you stuck a spinning rainbow splash screen with cheesy zoom effects into a game you hacked. Your attitude is piss-poor.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 11:24:38 am by JKPhage »

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2021, 11:57:33 am »
*LOLOLOLOL*.

You can hold A button and it stops, and you read it peacefully as much time as you want Lol.

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2021, 02:51:28 pm »
This is not how you should respond to valid criticism. Your splash screen is O B N O X I O U S. You can't even read the damn thing because it's spinning in a circle, meaning it's not only obnoxious, it's pointless as well. Are you aware that the rom used for this patch comes from the "No-Intro" set, so named specifically because "scene" releasers used to rip games and stick their own such obnoxious splash screens in front of them? People *hated it*. I get it, you want credit for your work, but nobody can read the method you've used, and you could have just as easily added a line of text to the title screen along with copyright information with a "Bugfixed by RodMerida" line.

Let me be blunt: You splash screen sucks. It was a bad decision on your part. There is literally a response in this thread explaining to people how to remove it via a hex editor. Nobody likes it. Nobody wants it. When people tell you things like this, don't laugh like a troll and make fun of them. You're the one that was so desperate for recognition you stuck a spinning rainbow splash screen with cheesy zoom effects into a game you hacked. Your attitude is piss-poor.

agree

JKPhage

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2021, 03:36:32 pm »
*LOLOLOLOL*.

You can hold A button and it stops, and you read it peacefully as much time as you want Lol.

Again, your attitude is atrocious. It's okay though, because someone else provided a patch that's better than yours anyway. I don't care that you provided a patch, you're an asshole who can't take criticism. But that's the last I'll say on it, because you're not worth anymore of my time. Thanks for the patch, I guess, because the topic about it pointed me to the better one at least.

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2021, 04:15:00 pm »
It's not, because it breaks the text windows in battles.

So my humble patch, believe it or not, is a front runner (with splash screen included). It also changes "Ball of Light" to "Light Orb" since the last 1.031a update.

And if you didn't like the crediting screen you should have just only asked me for changing it to something milder, I'm constantly updating the patch as new people reports me about pre-existing bugs and I wouldn't have had any problem on considering that. RPGOne's row patch also included one and I have not ever seen anybody complains.
Translators and ROMhackers have a certain right to a little of crediting for his work. There is also a second person involved in this project, and my responsibility was to mention it.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 04:20:41 pm by RodMerida »

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2021, 04:25:16 pm »
Here's how do you desactivate the splash screen in the RodMerida patch

This doesn't work anymore with the latest 1.03 version, R.I.P. my eyes. :(

Please RodMerida, make an official optional patch that removes this slash screen, this hack would otherwise be perfect.

lilpuddy31

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2021, 04:30:25 pm »
Rod, have you submitted the 1.031a patch yet?

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2021, 04:37:29 pm »
Why it bothers you guys so much. I don't understand it. It's beautiful cracktro from beginning of 90's that I have rescued from oblivion and customized. It passes quickly just by pressing A; it even offers players the chance to read about RPGone's credits (that seemed to involve many people, and would be a sacrilege from my part if I removed it; I would be profanating, and plagiarizing such a awesome translation, if I did). It's like a library of information! And it's damn beautiful! See what colours. I become hypnotized (not kidding).

Would you be more relaxed with an alternate splash screen in the RPGone's style. But I have to recognize I am a little surprised with this sudden, harsh reaction of some people, that seems to divide the opinion in the community.

June 20, 2021, 04:43:11 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Rod, have you submitted the 1.031a patch yet?

It's sent for updating since this afternoon. It's in the queue. But from my web page you can get it already: http://crackowia.gq/dqust1n2.html
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 04:52:33 pm by RodMerida »

saldite

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2021, 04:45:37 pm »
It's not, because it breaks the text windows in battles.

So my humble patch, believe it or not, is a front runner (with splash screen included). It also changes "Ball of Light" to "Light Orb" since the last 1.031a update.

And if you didn't like the crediting screen you should have just only asked me for changing it to something milder, I'm constantly updating the patch as new people reports me about pre-existing bugs and I wouldn't have had any problem on considering that. RPGOne's row patch also included one and I have not ever seen anybody complains.
Translators and ROMhackers have a certain right to a little of crediting for his work. There is also a second person involved in this project, and my responsibility was to mention it.
I think the big issue is just the way the screen looks itself, with the spinning and bright colors and everything. I think if it was just a static screen that just said like "Made by so and such and this guy, fixes old patch, credit to rpgone for og patch, so on, etc" people probably wouldn't have been as turned off by it. I was personally indifferent/amused, but otherwise didn't really care as much as people are making it out to be in this thread.

IMO, in terms of functionality, I actually like your screen more than the original RPGOne version since I can actually skip yours faster with the B-Button (good for when I'm restarting 2 for better stats from seeds on real hardware), so even if you did mildify your screen, I'd still appreciate that functionality built in (I couldn't see a way to skip the RPGOne screen faster in my testing unless I just missed a button).

Otherwise, I just like the patch in general and agree it's probably the front-runner for the most bug-free experience. I'm not all that big on the newer, more punny official localization of the games, so I'm fine with the names either way.

The alternative patch is good for people who want more of an "official" localized terminology if they're willing to put up with some bugs, so we have options either way.

Do you have any plans of potentially bug-fixing any of the other DQ SNES patches (ala DQ3, DQ6)?

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2021, 04:50:40 pm »
The spinning is pretty easy to remove. It actually does by pressing A. Not hard to reverse (so when pressing A it'll spin).

Do you think if I did so, this controversial matter would be solved?

I see some people suffering with this, even! I'm surprised!
Mine is much more skippable as you say.
People want everything!

What are those DQ3 bugs that you say, by the way? That interests me. Could you list them to me?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 04:59:22 pm by RodMerida »

saldite

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2021, 05:06:14 pm »
@Rod

On DQ3, the big one is a save issue if you save with somebody other than the hero in the first party slot. It's a pretty bug-free patch overall, but I know I got hit by that one on accident myself and it killed my progress at the time I played it. You can see it in action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvcRr8uN2sQ The readme mentions something with spellnames and text overflows, but the save one is the big one I ran into (and pretty easy to avoid if you know about it).

DQ6 has issues with backing out of some menus fully crashing the game. Info > All and backing out of the equipment screen are the big ones I know of (mentioned in the patch readme). Outside of that, there are some misc chunks of it left untranslated (mainly older NPCs if you revisit some towns and some dummy text here or there). Nothing game-important, but it'd be cool to see this game get a fully bug-fixed patch that translates the few remaining strings left in the game.

Allegedly, some of the memory spells don't work either.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2021, 05:11:44 pm »
The spinning is pretty easy to remove. It actually does by pressing A. Not hard to reverse (so when pressing A it'll spin).

Do you think if I did so, this controversial matter would be solved?

Yes please! Or at least have two patches, one with the intro and one without the intro.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2021, 05:12:38 pm »
Why it bothers you guys so much. I don't understand it. It's beautiful cracktro from beginning of 90's that I have rescued from oblivion and customized. It passes quickly just by pressing A; it even offers players the chance to read about RPGone's credits (that seemed to involve many people, and would be a sacrilege from my part if I removed it; I would be profanating, and plagiarizing such a awesome translation, if I did). It's like a library of information! And it's damn beautiful! See what colours. I become hypnotized (not kidding).

Would you be more relaxed with an alternate splash screen in the RPGone's style. But I have to recognize I am a little surprised with this sudden, harsh reaction of some people, that seems to divide the opinion in the community.

June 20, 2021, 04:43:11 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
It's sent for updating since this afternoon. It's in the queue. But from my web page you can get it already: http://crackowia.gq/dqust1n2.html

There are many awesome and wonderful translations and hacks on this site and others sites too that use no splash screen's at all, credits are done in the readme files/docs that come with said translation/hacks.

Personally, its no slash or no bother, but I would really like to "bother" with your hack as it could be the definitive way to play this finally.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2021, 05:16:57 pm »
If anyone wants to remove the splash screen in the latest patch, just change the entire first line to:

D8 78 18 FB C2 10 E2 20 A9 01 8D 0D 42 A2 FF 02

However, if you do that, it seems to break Dragon Quest 2. I can't proceed after entering my name.

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2021, 05:27:00 pm »
The earlier post is showing a Japanese rom so just change the first 8 bytes not the whole line

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2021, 05:28:03 pm »
The earlier post is showing a Japanese rom so just change the first 8 bytes not the whole line

That doesn't work on the latest patch. The author changed it.

The original patch was:

5C 00 84 26 5C 04 80 00 A9 01 8D 0D 42 A2 FF 02

And the latest patch is:

5C 00 84 26 5C 04 80 00 5C 70 FF 09 5C 60 FE 09

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2021, 05:34:08 pm »
you're right it doesn't seem to work
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 05:40:16 pm by Bosco82 »