News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Dragon Quest I+II Addendum Fix by Rod Merida  (Read 34226 times)

goldenband

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest I+II Addendum Fix by Rod Merida
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2021, 05:07:42 pm »
It's a nice luxury that we apparently have two different patches that fix the bugs in Dragon Quest I & II. Do we have comparable patches to address the game-breaking bugs in the translation patch for Dragon Quest III (on the SFC, obviously)?

A comment in the review of RodMerida's patch -- "It’s great to know that now it is possible to enjoy the whole of the Dragon Quest’s first Trilogy with all the trappings of a 16-bit uplift without any worries" -- seemed to suggest that someone had addressed the known issues with III, but I don't see anything as of right now.

There's also supposedly a game-breaking glitch with V, but I don't know if that's an issue with the original game, or with both of the allegedly-complete translation patches, or just one of them.

In any event thanks to both hackers who have worked on I & II. I'll always have a special regard for people who squash these bugs that have been hovering for years or decades (see also Do-Re-Mi Fantasy).

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2021, 06:54:57 pm »
This version really needs to be on RHDN.

Maybe the author doesn't want it on RHDN? For one, I'd be pretty pissed if something I made/worked on (lets say music), was turning up on random sites because some user didn't ask for permission first. Maybe that person wants to keep their work to their twitter/patreon/whatever.

Here's how do you desactivate the splash screen in the RodMerida patch

1.Open HxD
2.Open your pre-patched rom on HxD
3.At the first offset replace 5C 00 84 26 5C 04 80 00 with D8 78 18 FB C2 10 E2 20

So simple even my grandma could do it, thanks!

PRG

• View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2021, 10:14:13 pm »
I don't know if this helps anyone or anything at all, but I found this bugfixed and text revised version a while back. I recently played through it (both titles), enjoyed it, and didn't encounter any game-breaking glitches. Archive has a readme list of changes.

This one is very good, but it seems to have a somewhat annoying bug of the faerie flute not working on the golem at all, rendering it unbeatable. No matter what I tried, it would have no effect until I resorted to using different hack and loading the same savestate in order to beat the golem. I'd send them feedback, but I don't want to do the whole patreon thing. One day, I hope we get the perfect modernized and bug-free version of DQ1+2 on SNES.

lilpuddy31

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2021, 10:46:56 pm »
This one is very good, but it seems to have a somewhat annoying bug of the faerie flute not working on the golem at all, rendering it unbeatable. No matter what I tried, it would have no effect until I resorted to using different hack and loading the same savestate in order to beat the golem. I'd send them feedback, but I don't want to do the whole patreon thing. One day, I hope we get the perfect modernized and bug-free version of DQ1+2 on SNES.

Using Rod's patch and using HxD to disable the splash screens makes it pretty damn great.  Rod seems set on making it bug free as well, I've already brought one issue to his attention and he updated the patch later that day...

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2021, 12:18:48 am »
This one is very good, but it seems to have a somewhat annoying bug of the faerie flute not working on the golem at all, rendering it unbeatable. No matter what I tried, it would have no effect until I resorted to using different hack and loading the same savestate in order to beat the golem.
Ooooooooof. :( I'd say that goes beyond "somewhat annoying" and into "game-breaking", though if you can get past it with a different ROM then that's something. But that makes RodMerida's patch an unequivocal front-runner for me, since a game-breaking glitch is demoralizing and risks wasting many hours of effort.

I played a translated game recently where I had to switch to the Japanese original to get past an otherwise-unavoidable crashing bug...I need to write a RHDN review for that one, actually.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2021, 12:45:10 am »
rendering it unbeatable.

But TRIFORCE89 said he beat it and didn't encounter any game-breaking glitches. Are you calling him a lier??!  :P

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2021, 08:13:40 am »
As luck would have it, I take note of the patches I apply and if my notes are to be believed (this was a year ago) I didn't apply Krisan Thyme's alpha patch to a base rom but overtop hex_usr's work first. Not sure if that's the differentiating factor here, but I didn't encounter that flute glitch. But then again, this is listed as an alpha, so it could be anything.

Anyway, back to Rod Merida...

JKPhage

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2021, 03:37:48 pm »

In fairness, you don't *have* to use the flute to beat the Golem, according to a quick google search. It just makes it easier. You could also just grind out a few levels and steamroll through it by sheer force. Not like JRPG's across the ages aren't infamous for sudden and sometimes dramatic difficulty spikes on boss battles that require you to do exactly that. If this is the case, yes it's a bug, but it does not in any way render the game unbeatable. Unless it simultaneously made the Golem invincible then it just turns it from a "beat the boss with a trick item" moment into a "level check" moment.

That said, I'm gonna try out Triforce's method of applying the hex_usr patch then layering Krisan's patch over top of that. I tried that with the original RPGONE version I had laying around and it rendered the rom unplayable and just booted to a black screen. If putting these two together results in a version that boots then I see no problem. Then again, did Triforce know about the flute? Did he just brute force the boss anyway? If that's the case and he was able to complete the game flute-free then it may be a case of trying to fix a problem with a method that doesn't actually fix it. If Triforce doesn't remember then I guess someone is just gonna have to test it. I'm currently working my way through DQ1 for the first time using just Krisan's patch, so I guess I'll report back after I've finished it. If that's the only issue you've run into then I'd call it a smashing success frankly, for fixing a janky translation and squashing multiple bugs at the same time.

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2021, 08:18:12 pm »
JKPhage, I know of the flute - but I don't remember if I used the flute on that specific playthrough. I suspect I did though.

JKPhage

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2021, 09:58:58 pm »
Fair enough. I'm currently working through the game using only Krisan's patch, but I have a version that was patched with hex_usr's patch, then layered with Krisan's (and just as a cherry on top, hex edited with the instructions from this thread to get rid of the RPGONE splash screen as well) so when I come up against the golem I'll see if the flute works as-is, and if not I'll swap over to the double-patched one and try my luck there then report back. If I can confirm that the flute works with the latter method, as convoluted as it may be, I'd say it's worth the effort to have a bug-fixed, better translated and non-splash screened release of the game finally. Shouldn't take me too much longer before I hit that point.

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2021, 10:17:31 pm »
It's a nice luxury that we apparently have two different patches that fix the bugs in Dragon Quest I & II. Do we have comparable patches to address the game-breaking bugs in the translation patch for Dragon Quest III (on the SFC, obviously)?

A comment in the review of RodMerida's patch -- "It’s great to know that now it is possible to enjoy the whole of the Dragon Quest’s first Trilogy with all the trappings of a 16-bit uplift without any worries" -- seemed to suggest that someone had addressed the known issues with III, but I don't see anything as of right now.

There's also supposedly a game-breaking glitch with V, but I don't know if that's an issue with the original game, or with both of the allegedly-complete translation patches, or just one of them.

In any event thanks to both hackers who have worked on I & II. I'll always have a special regard for people who squash these bugs that have been hovering for years or decades (see also Do-Re-Mi Fantasy).

It's my mistake, I assumed 3 was bug free. I'll amend my review to avoid misleading information.

laserlambert

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2021, 10:36:20 pm »
The Krisan patch at least has a glitch with the battles, when you cast the sizz spell, a broken window to select the target appears (why is there a target select in DQ1 anyway?) and then the part that was broken appears and stays, at least the rest of the turn.

JKPhage

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2021, 05:53:05 am »
The Krisan patch at least has a glitch with the battles, when you cast the sizz spell, a broken window to select the target appears (why is there a target select in DQ1 anyway?) and then the part that was broken appears and stays, at least the rest of the turn.

I've been playing this version and I can tell you that it does not. I'm guessing you started from a bad base rom or something, but I've used sizz multiple times and never had anything of the sort happen.

That said, I just got to Cantlin and the Golem fight and can confirm that the flute does *not* put the Golem to sleep at all. I even turned on a cheat for infinite HP and just sat there spamming the flute for a few dozen turns thinking that it might be treating it like it does with other monsters and only works sometimes. It never happened. I switched over to a version of the rom patched as Triforce mentioned, with the hex_usr patch applied first and then re-patched with Krisan's. It behaved the exact same way. Whatever broke it doesn't get fixed with that method either. That said, the flute was only ever a way to make the fight easier, since it can still wake up and you have to keep putting it back to sleep. It doesn't make the game unbeatable, just puts a hard strength/skill check towards the end of it. I'd still say it's the best of the options available for ease of patching (one and done), lack of splash screen and the vastly improved terminology in the translation. For out of the box use, it's the easiest and delivers the most polished product. If anyone is unsure which option to go with, my vote is for Krisan's patch. Simple, easy and quality.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2021, 09:27:45 am »
I'll assume the target window appearing is a glitch from using the same engine as 2, for which the compilation is presumably sharing an engine with DQ5.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

laserlambert

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2021, 10:37:03 am »
I've been playing this version and I can tell you that it does not. I'm guessing you started from a bad base rom or something, but I've used sizz multiple times and never had anything of the sort happen.
I've tried as many different versions of the rom as I can find, and tried it on multiple emulators and the result is the same.

See the window that says the monster name is cut. and then that corner of a window peeking out in the second one. It's not a big glitch, but it is there.
I'd be interested in what went into you not getting it, but I guess this might technically be off topic, and also, isn't important.

JKPhage

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2021, 03:26:55 pm »
I'd be interested in what went into you not getting it, but I guess this might technically be off topic, and also, isn't important.

Not really off-topic. I don't have any such issues. The target window pops up, it doesn't get cut off, nor does the weird partial highlight happen, and nothing sticks around until the end of the turn. It simply functions as one would expect it to. All I did was use the rom from the no-intro set and applied the patch as-is with nothing else added to it. Did you patch over an already patched rom by chance? Or use one from another source? Clean rom + Krisan patch = working smoothly and as-intended. Aside from the fairy flute hiccup, of course.

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2021, 05:52:59 pm »
Maybe it has to do with the length of the MC's name? a shot in the dark, but who knows.

laserlambert

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2021, 06:17:38 pm »
Maybe it has to do with the length of the MC's name? a shot in the dark, but who knows.
I tried it with a long name (as pictured) and a one character name, both same results.
Not really off-topic. I don't have any such issues. The target window pops up, it doesn't get cut off, nor does the weird partial highlight happen, and nothing sticks around until the end of the turn. It simply functions as one would expect it to. All I did was use the rom from the no-intro set and applied the patch as-is with nothing else added to it. Did you patch over an already patched rom by chance? Or use one from another source? Clean rom + Krisan patch = working smoothly and as-intended. Aside from the fairy flute hiccup, of course.
I've used now 7 different roms from different sources including now the no-intro set. Completely clean every time. Tested on different emulators. same results.

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2021, 06:26:54 pm »
What did you use to patch? in my experience, some patchers really mess up the results. I recommend RHDN's own patcher. Also pay attention to header requirements.

laserlambert

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2021, 07:40:44 pm »
What did you use to patch? in my experience, some patchers really mess up the results. I recommend RHDN's own patcher. Also pay attention to header requirements.
I used Lunar IPS and also used my emulator's soft patching.