News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Star Ocean 2 - Decoding Sprite Format  (Read 1271 times)

Dial_0

• View Profile
Star Ocean 2 - Decoding Sprite Format
« on: June 05, 2021, 11:09:38 pm »
Yesterday I got nostalgic and wanted to export the sprites from Star Ocean 2 on PSX.

I opened the iso of the game and found most of the data was in a .BIN file, after a quick look with a hex edit i noticed the occurance of SLZ a lot.
After googling a lot i eventually found this EXTREMELY helpful thread: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=7790.20.

After reading the breakdown from Cue and using the source code he provided I was able to modify his TriAce-ps2 code to work with Star Ocean 2.
Then use his code to uncompress the SLZ files.

I was hoping I would find all the texture files would be in an easy format like TIM or something however after extracting 6000 files and having a poke around there are only a handful of TIM files I could find, which looked more like loading screens.

Does anyone have any advice around what other formats are popular with triace games? What the header bytes would look like?

I did find some files with the header 28 00 00 00, which look like they might be sprite files.

I uploaded a sample of files here: https://easyupload.io/m/ctbdkc

the 2 files in the screenshots are 2192 and 2160.

Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated.

gadesx

• View Profile
    • Gadesx scene
Re: Star Ocean 2 - Decoding Sprite Format
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 10:22:12 am »
There's slz files, maybe like Valkyrie profile.
Some emulators can dump all sprites if you only need that, as ppsspp.

It's hard to make Romhacking with this game, it's last game in my "games to translate list".

Dial_0

• View Profile
Re: Star Ocean 2 - Decoding Sprite Format
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 10:38:34 pm »
There's slz files, maybe like Valkyrie profile.
Some emulators can dump all sprites if you only need that, as ppsspp.

It's hard to make Romhacking with this game, it's last game in my "games to translate list".

Yes there are slz files exactly like Valkyrie profile. I have uncompressed those, however it looks like tri-ace use mostly proprietary file formats. So its been hard to understand the file formats.

Is there any tools or resources about valkyrie profile that you know of? which might help?