News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Need help extracting instrument data from Golden Sun: TLA  (Read 1236 times)

Nimbus125

• View Profile
Need help extracting instrument data from Golden Sun: TLA
« on: June 04, 2021, 02:41:23 pm »
I'm working on a music patch for Minish Cap Randomizer, and as the title says, I'm trying to extract the instrument data from Golden Sun: TLA, specifically as .s files. The problem I'm having is that Sappy doesn't open golden sun due to the synth instruments, and the only other tool I've found that can extract instrument data as .s files, m4a2s, doesn't seem to work properly for golden sun or any of the other GBA games that are 100% Sappy engine that I've tried it with. Is there a way to get Sappy to open Golden Sun properly, or some other program that can do a similar thing? As for the synth instruments, I think I've found a workaround, but I haven't tested it yet since I can't get the rest of the soundfont in the proper format.

tvtoon

• View Profile
Re: Need help extracting instrument data from Golden Sun: TLA
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 08:15:44 pm »
I never used sappy, but have you tried these tools from GSF sites? I remember successfully using them with these games.

Nimbus125

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 11:14:13 am »
Update: Turns out m4a2s was extracting everything properly, it was the program I was using to convert .s files to .event files that was causing the error :o Luckily it's super easy to fix and not an issue going forward.

Now I have everything except the GS synth instruments working properly, and I want to double check that my thought process is correct in how to handle them:
Some people have already extracted the instrument data, including the synths, into .sf2 format. In this sample, each synth instrument has a bunch of different samples for each note(s), instead of the weird way they work in-engine. Theoretically, I should be able to extract these samples and make a multi-instrument out of them, then import them into a non-GS rom temporarily using Sappy, then re-extract the samples as .s files via Sappy, correct? This process looks like it'll be a ton of work so I just want to make sure I'm not completely off base from square 1.

Also, whenever I change an instrument in my middle stage rom (in this instance PMD Red Rescue Team, since I just had it lying around) to a multi instrument and press the 2nd edit button, Sappy mod 15 just instantly crashes  :'( Any ideas on how to fix it?

Nimbus125

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 12:03:01 am »
Bump, also one more question: this tutorial says to use a certain calculator to find frequency from the sampling rate + root key, but that link seems to be dead and I can't find it anywhere on the internet. Is there a different tool out there that does the same thing? (Or alternatively how do you actually calculate that)