News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Translations: Super Robot Wars GC English Translation Released  (Read 2914 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Arc_Impulse

After nearly 8 years in the works, the team behind it is happy to present a full English translation of Super Robot Wars GC for the Nintendo GameCube.

Started in 2013 from a conversation on which robot to pick for the story, some users on 4chan's /m/ imageboard banded together in order to hack and translate the game once the discussion began to lean in that direction. Originally opting to use a feature in Dolphin which allowed for images to be replaced as the basis for the patch, they later switched to a standard translation further down the line after collaboration with other fans in related projects. While activity slowed down for a while, the project came back in full force as of the end of 2018 and since then has been completed and polished, ready for play!

The characters, units, and setting of this game were later adapted for use in the “Original Generation” subseries in Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers, and players can now experience the original story in which they appeared! Featuring a cast made up of robots from Earth and afar, this entry in the series departs from the norm in terms of both mechanics and presentation, but still offers the same mecha crossover experience that fans enjoy.

You can visit the project page for a download link, and the teams hopes that you'll enjoy this translation!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
  • Prepare thyself for holy judgment
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: Translations: Super Robot Wars GC English Translation Released
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 06:48:34 pm »
Congrats on the release.

It appears that this is the first complete translation in English for a text-heavy game to be released for the Gamecube. Well, aside from that random Fire Emblem translation port. There have been other Gamecube translations, but for other languages. So, a bit of a milestone I'd say.

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 09:30:52 pm »
Congrats for the release, guys! :beer:

Amy Symilton Gamequeen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 03:51:41 am »
Full cheers for the only Super Robot Wars or SRW game on GameCube! :beer: SRW fans would truly love this full translation. Yay! :woot!: :thumbsup:

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 05:12:03 am »
Congrats!

I had been following this thing for years back when it was still a 4chan thread. Glad to be finally able to play it, and as a proper hack and not a texture replacement thing too!

I got a little bug report if you are interested. It's nothing game breaking. If you do the optional sub scenarios once, afterwards it'll show as "Times Played: 2". I didn't try what happens if you play it once more, if it'll stay at 2 or if it'll show 3.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

PhyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 01:56:06 pm »
Congratulations, you guys will see this :)

Full hardware compatibility or an emulator assisted texture swap? Both cool btw :)     

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 02:23:00 pm »
It appears that this is the first complete translation in English for a text-heavy game to be released for the Gamecube. Well, aside from that random Fire Emblem translation port.

Yeah, there's really only a handful of GC games to fan-translate; guess this must be the Nintendo console with the smallest number of fun/niche JP exclusives. This one was probably in the top 5 as far as the script size goes, judging by most SRW games.

Thanks for doing this guys, will definitely give it a spin this weekend!

Arc_Impulse

• Beep boop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 05:41:23 pm »
Many thanks folks! If you have any feedback or bug reports I'll be peeking in here every so often as well, so go ahead and let us know. I'll also get that added for the next pass sure Kaio, as it should be more of a "the current run will be number X" style message.

It's honestly fairly odd to think of this being the first actual big EN translation from scratch for the GC considering the amount of tools out there for things like textures and all, but it does make sense considering a lot of the major stuff was brought over for us in that era anyway. But yeah, it's a big enough script, even for a fairly linear game as far as SRWs go due to the lack of splits, so props to Oppai for translating that.

Full hardware compatibility or an emulator assisted texture swap? Both cool btw :)   

It works fine on actual hardware, since the emulator texture replacement method isn't necessary with all the actual files inserted, so anyone can play it using their preferred method!

vincent_vincent

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2021, 03:49:04 am »
About time this release got the recognition it deserved with its own post.

Congrats Guys, amazing effort

kaiisen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 03:54:07 am »
This is awesome! I never heard there was people working on this one.

It gives me hope that someone is working on the NDS titles in secret as well :laugh:

Love this series so much. Thank you!

:cookie::beer:

bukopandan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 10:49:31 am »
It seems there are still a few untranslated graphical texts in battle animations even in 1.1, will it be translated if a future update will be released?

Here's a sample screenshot of the untranslated graphical text
https://photos.app.goo.gl/X5ijnW35mR7ZHVYJA

Note: tested the game with the 1.0.2 patch, the untranslated graphical text usually appears when defeating metal armors and mobile suits but sometimes it appears translated when battling mecha beasts, just a guess, but does it's text data output differ for several enemy units?.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 11:02:30 am by bukopandan »
My Youtube Channel where I demonstrate my mad video gaming skills. Kekekek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGPnfU4q12x6vEWXv4Ftq8Q/videos