News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Best video game console for RPGs? Rank your top 10!  (Read 2119 times)

travel27

• View Profile
Best video game console for RPGs? Rank your top 10!
« on: June 02, 2021, 08:09:26 am »
Rank your Top 10 favorite consoles for RPGs. Your #1 console gets 10 points, down to #10 which gets 1 point.

I am running these rankings at another site, if by some rare chance you already voted at the other site, just vote once. These are the current standings:

Spoiler:
1.Playstation - 128
2.Playstation 2 - 127
3.SNES - 109
4.DS - 70
5.PS4 - 55
6.Switch - 47
7.PS3 - 46
8.GBA - 45
9.PSP - 43
10.3DS - 39
11.Genesis - 30
12.Saturn - 29
13.NES - 25
14.Dreamcast - 24
15.Gamecube - 21
16.Xbox 360 - 16
17.Xbox - 15
18.Sega CD - 13
19.Wii - 10
20.PS Vita - 7
21. Mega Drive - 6
22.Gameboy color - 4
T-23.Turbografx - 3
T-23.Wii U - 3
T-25.Gameboy - 2
T-25.Turbografx cd 2
T-25.Xbox one - 2
28.N64 - 1

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Best video game console for RPGs? Rank your top 10!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 10:32:47 am »
What did the PS3 do that the 360 did not? Or are you that much a fan of Ni No Kuni and the late state NIS America efforts? I would have probably had the 360 edge it out for most of its lifetime (the PS3 got a bunch of ports somewhat late in the day), and if you go in for the exclusives there then Magna Carta II does a lot for me.
I am also curious what is on the PS4 to have it rank that high, especially if you don't count ports/remakes (none of which particularly did anything interesting that I am aware of)? Ditto 3ds, especially as that would have it above the megadrive that otherwise gave me loads of good stuff including Phantasy Star 2 and 4.
Equally while I am the last person to blow smoke up the arse of Xenoblade yawnicles I would have thought the Wii had more to say in a lot of that.

PSP wise... care to go there. I mean if you were a fan of dungeon crawlers as seen by Japan then it was the place to be, and I think I will be one of the few to stick up for Crimson Gem Saga at some level but if the PSP was an RPG machine it is because it had pretty nice 8 and 16 bit emulation as well as PS1.

Now I am somewhat appreciative of the Saturn library but if you ranked it that high then some might care for elaboration as Saturn for most means arguably the best 2d bomberman and not much else.

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 11:50:08 am »
What did the PS3 do that the 360 did not? Or are you that much a fan of Ni No Kuni and the late state NIS America efforts? I would have probably had the 360 edge it out for most of its lifetime (the PS3 got a bunch of ports somewhat late in the day), and if you go in for the exclusives there then Magna Carta II does a lot for me.
I am also curious what is on the PS4 to have it rank that high, especially if you don't count ports/remakes (none of which particularly did anything interesting that I am aware of)? Ditto 3ds, especially as that would have it above the megadrive that otherwise gave me loads of good stuff including Phantasy Star 2 and 4.
Equally while I am the last person to blow smoke up the arse of Xenoblade yawnicles I would have thought the Wii had more to say in a lot of that.

PSP wise... care to go there. I mean if you were a fan of dungeon crawlers as seen by Japan then it was the place to be, and I think I will be one of the few to stick up for Crimson Gem Saga at some level but if the PSP was an RPG machine it is because it had pretty nice 8 and 16 bit emulation as well as PS1.

Now I am somewhat appreciative of the Saturn library but if you ranked it that high then some might care for elaboration as Saturn for most means arguably the best 2d bomberman and not much else.

Those are not my personal rankings.  The numbers are compiled after a number of other people have voted for their top 10 systems. The numbers are the result of those people ranking.

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 12:48:42 pm »
1. SNES
2. PSP
3. PS1
4. GBA
5. Genesis
6. GameCube
7. GBC
8. NES
9. SMS
10. Game Gear
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

zarkon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 01:51:17 pm »
1)SNES
2)PSX
3)Saturn
4)PSP
5)DS
6)GBA
7)PS2
8)Mega Drive
9)3DS
10)Switch

Probably something like that.  PC Engine is a blind spot to me, I have no doubt it belongs in a top ten but I just don't have familarity with the library.

Regarding the Saturn, it has some of my absolute faves - Shining Force 3 Scenario 1, 2, 3, Shining the Holy Ark, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Grandia, Mystaria, Dragon Force...Story of Thor 2 is a top flight arpg too.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 04:02:33 pm by zarkon »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 02:02:16 pm »
1/2. SNES=PS1
3/4. GB=GBC
5. NES
6. Genesis/Sega CD
7. Turbografx CD
8. GBA
9. SMS
10. DS

SNES and PS1 are at the top at about equal to me.  Lots of the best titles and novel experimentation were born on these consoles at the same time.  These were a lot of development houses' golden years, and a very large amount of titles still around or talked about today were started on either one of these consoles.

Almost every original Game Boy RPG was very unique.  Something about the limitations must've really sparked imaginations, or maybe it's because at the beginnings of the original GB even having an RPG at all was a novel concept.  Stuff like Sword of Hope, Great Greed, and the first SaGa games.  And then the Pokemon boom happened, with most of the results happening on the Color with games like Azure Dreams and Dragon Warrior Monsters.  Color pretty much continued where the Game Boy left off outside of that though, with stuff like Mario Golf/Tennis and the Harry Potter games (of all the things).  I'm going to group both as equal, as a lot of times that's how they're treated anyway.  Homebrew still results in RPGs every now and then for these consoles such as Dragonborne and the upcoming Infinity release under Incube8.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 07:30:35 pm by Chronosplit »

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 03:45:51 pm »
1)PSX
2)SNES
3)PSP
4)DS
5)Switch
6)GBA
7)NES
8)Mega Drive/Genesis
9)GB
10)Game Gear

When it comes to JRPGs + WRPGs, PSX had the best stuff by far for me; SNES is a close second, thanks to tons of JRPGs. PSP/DS had quite a few interesting, niche Japanese exclusives and a lot of good action RPGs in particular. Switch is a port machine; it has just about everything in one place. GBA has Mother 3, that alone elevates it above the next few for me, plus Golden Sun, many anime RPGs...; Mega Drive/Genesis has some really great WRPGs/ports (Starflight, Pirates! Gold and Shadowrun), but I don't like its JRPGs that much (except for Phantasy Star 4), so for that reason it's number 8. GB has the Saga games, some interesting JP exclusives like God Medicine etc. Many franchises I like started on NES/Famicom (Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Metal Max) and it had many weird, experimental RPGs too, hence number 7. Game Gear had Madou Monogatari, Defenders of Oasis, Moldorian and Royal Stone, for that I decided to place it at number 10.

I don't know PCE-CD (Turbografx-16/CD) well enough to assess it. I've only seen it a couple times/never knew anyone who owned it, it's like a ghost system where I live. I also disliked the voice acting from what I've heard, but I guess it probably could end up in the top 10 if I knew more about it, especially the JP exclusives.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 04:32:31 pm »
PS1
SNES
Mega Drive/Genesis
GBA
Game Gear
GBC
NES
SMS

But really it's PC.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

DragonAtma

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2021, 03:46:21 am »
1. SNES
2. GB
3. NES
4. Wii
5. GBA
6. Switch
7. DS
8. PS1
9. PS2
10. Wii U
In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
My mods: Romance of the Three Kingdoms II, Gemfire, 7th Saga, and more

Badseed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 04:59:12 pm »
1. SNES
2. PSX
3. GBA
4. PS2
5. NDS
6. DREAMCAST (If you could import)
7. NES
8. GAMECUBE
9. XBOX
10.ATARI 2600
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"

Tarosuke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 04:13:44 pm »
1. SNES
2. PCE-CD
3. PSX
4. NDS
5. GG
6. SATURN
7. DREAMCAST
8. NES
9. PSP
10.PS2