Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.

Started by Piotyr, March 23, 2007, 10:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Felipefpl

Both Dark Sun's PC games Shattered Lands/Wake of the Ravager need hacks to change the UGLY fonts/fix bugs (I looked for those but didnt find any).
Core i7 Celeron Sandy Bridge G460 1.8 Ghz - 4 GB RAM - Win7 x64 - Intel HD Graphics 2000

Noside

Would be cool if we could have a 2 player co-op for the first TMNT game for the NES. :woot!:

Jozaca

There is some patch that makes a Mega Man 1 NTSC ROM change to a Mega Man 1 PAL ROM?

KingMike

Couldn't you just download a ROM patching utility and make that yourself, for whatever reason you'd want to?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Tsukiyomaru0

I wonder how feasible it would be to fix the unreleased but leaked "Superman: Battle for Metropolis" for the GBC. It looks like a really good game, but it's kinda unstable and has but debug inputs and debug info active.

jim35

Anyone willing to upgrade the snes ninja gaiden trilogy music to sound a lot better and if possible fix these other issues like backgrounds, hit detection, etc.

CrispX

Do you guys remember when i was sharing the Sensible Soccer International Save for Sega Genesis with Empty name teams and players? Well i was making the Portuguese 1st 2nd and 3rd League and when i made the 3rd League the game asks me to delete a nother team to continue to edit. Sadly the game can´t able to edit the entire game. Is there a way to hack this rom game to make it full editable?

Here's some pictures.

https://ibb.co/Gktyff5 - Before i edit Grasshopper XI
https://ibb.co/HtHkx6J - After i edit all Grasshopper XI Team i press OK this happens.  :(

In the official manual instructions it tells me we only can edit 20 teams or the game get buggy or crash in the original console.

Thanks.  ;)

FAST6191

So you are editing a save to change team names?

Not necessarily what we normally do around here but still within scope.

Most likely explanation is there is a limited space in the save and by the time you get to whatever number that is you have run out of that space.
Various scenarios at this point, none of them particularly nice if you are still plugging through save editing.

The simplest would be to split the difference. Have one save for first league, another for second, another for third...
You could learn to edit the game itself and change the default names, players, colours... to what you like. Chances are the data in those will be similar to the data within the saves so if you can find something similar in the ROM* and go from there for as many as the game itself holds.

*if you can edit a team with your save editor to be the same as an existing team then you might get lucky thatway.

After this we get into some fairly serious ROM hacking.
The best scenario is only part of the save is used and you can expand into that. Now the Sensible software boys were some pretty good coders that knew how to get the most out of things from all the interviews (my favourite http://www.worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/cf2/cf2.htm ) I have seen and games of theirs I have hacked over the years (not to mention you don't get to be contenders for kings of the amiga without skills) so I doubt this is the case, at least not easily. Minor exception if there is some leaked version or some other region where the publishers were not cheapskates.
Following this then while the sensible software lot might have been limited by the publisher back when then today larger save sizes don't matter for emulators, and not usually flash carts either. Here then you would want to modify the game to use one of said larger sizes, and the internal save data to also use the extra space. Not a beginner hack really but not the absolute worst thing if you already know some programming and are willing to learn. Slightly less minor exception if there are backup saves in this game -- many times games will have two slots and alternate between them in case one gets corrupted and thus you lose a few hours of progress rather than potentially hundreds. Here you could eliminate the backup (trusting that you/your users will keep their own) and gain the space for something else. I normally see that more for big RPGs than I do for football games but this would be a reasonable candidate.
Alternatively if there is data you can lose elsewhere in the save (I doubt it is all team names and there is probably some kind of stats table and things you might lose -- if I am stripping data out of a game to make it smaller then in my case I don't care about online multiplayer so could lose that and not bother me in the slightest) you might get that extra space after all.

CrispX

Quote from: FAST6191 on August 11, 2022, 05:31:18 PMSo you are editing a save to change team names?

Not necessarily what we normally do around here but still within scope.

Most likely explanation is there is a limited space in the save and by the time you get to whatever number that is you have run out of that space.
Various scenarios at this point, none of them particularly nice if you are still plugging through save editing.

The simplest would be to split the difference. Have one save for first league, another for second, another for third...
You could learn to edit the game itself and change the default names, players, colours... to what you like. Chances are the data in those will be similar to the data within the saves so if you can find something similar in the ROM* and go from there for as many as the game itself holds.

*if you can edit a team with your save editor to be the same as an existing team then you might get lucky thatway.

After this we get into some fairly serious ROM hacking.
The best scenario is only part of the save is used and you can expand into that. Now the Sensible software boys were some pretty good coders that knew how to get the most out of things from all the interviews (my favourite http://www.worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/cf2/cf2.htm ) I have seen and games of theirs I have hacked over the years (not to mention you don't get to be contenders for kings of the amiga without skills) so I doubt this is the case, at least not easily. Minor exception if there is some leaked version or some other region where the publishers were not cheapskates.
Following this then while the sensible software lot might have been limited by the publisher back when then today larger save sizes don't matter for emulators, and not usually flash carts either. Here then you would want to modify the game to use one of said larger sizes, and the internal save data to also use the extra space. Not a beginner hack really but not the absolute worst thing if you already know some programming and are willing to learn. Slightly less minor exception if there are backup saves in this game -- many times games will have two slots and alternate between them in case one gets corrupted and thus you lose a few hours of progress rather than potentially hundreds. Here you could eliminate the backup (trusting that you/your users will keep their own) and gain the space for something else. I normally see that more for big RPGs than I do for football games but this would be a reasonable candidate.
Alternatively if there is data you can lose elsewhere in the save (I doubt it is all team names and there is probably some kind of stats table and things you might lose -- if I am stripping data out of a game to make it smaller then in my case I don't care about online multiplayer so could lose that and not bother me in the slightest) you might get that extra space after all.

:thumbsup:

MD_Prometh

Romancing SaGa 2 and 3 translation patches for the SFC versions - official Remaster English script backport

Tsukiyomaru0

Here's an interesting idea for Wonder Boy games hacks: Replace the MC with Alex Kidd (but without his crippling weakness of dying in one hit)

And for Monster World: Replace Asha with Shantae.

JustSearchingForGoodHacks

So, I recently played a really nice arcade game called Nemo. It is based on the movie called Little Nemo Adventures in Slumberland. I actually saw a small portion of this game once before I played it, with credits part. When I finally completed the game I really liked it, but then I noticed that the credits for the version I had were different. The credits I saw before playing the game involved funny animations with Flip (Nemo's friend - Second Player) and Nemo messing around, but my version only had the blimp flying back to New York (Nemo's home) and the credits rolled. I started researching versions differences of this game and suddenly I struck upon a "goldmine". Turns out this game had a ton of unused content! There are TWO cut levels (which are still in the game, and just unaccessible), one level is fully complete and the other is missing a boss. There are also tons of sprites for cutscenes, and honestly I don't get why developers didn't use those, since characters look like cardboard cutouts in those. And there is so much more. You can read about every missing detail on this site (https://tcrf.net/Nemo). Can someone try and assemble a hack with all of this cut content?

JustSearchingForGoodHacks

I've noticed many discussions about Detective Conan games translations. And many people talk about GBC and GBA games but nobody talks about DS games. There is only one topic for Detective Conan and Kindaichi Case files Crossover on NDS which was translated already. However there were two other cool Detective Conan visual Novels games for DS: Detective Conan  Prelude From The Past (Meitantei Konan: Kako Kara no Zensōkyoku ~Pureryūdo~) and Detective Conan and Blue Jewel Rondo (Meitantei Konan: Aoki Hōseki no Rondo). These are very cool detective visual novels too and they really need a translation patch.

Also since I've touched upon the subject of Kindaichi Case Files there was a game about Kindaichi on DS too, and not just crossover with Conan. This game is called Kindaichi Case Files: Devil's Killing Navigation (Kindaichi Shōnen no Jikenbo Akuma no Satsujin Kōkai). A very cool detective visual novel too, but without translation.

tygerbug

"Super Troll Islands" for SNES is actually the same game as "Mr. Blobby" for PC and Amiga, and could be hacked thusly.

https://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_computer/mrblobbydos/sheet/168367/

The Beaky Buccaneer

Quote from: tygerbug on August 15, 2022, 09:55:40 PM"Super Troll Islands" for SNES is actually the same game as "Mr. Blobby" for PC and Amiga, and could be hacked thusly.

https://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_computer/mrblobbydos/sheet/168367/
As a Brit who grew up watching Mr. Blobby, and who readily admits to buying the 1993 novelty record which topped the music charts that Christmas, I must say that it feels incredibly surreal to see him mentioned here - and also that there's definitely a school of thought even among the nostalgic over here that would question whether it's a good idea to unleash such a thing on the world. :D

FSH17

My idea is : "Street Fighter III Complete"
A hack of Street Fighter III 3rd Strike but with all the musics and all the stages from the three Street Fighter III games.

Brutapode89

Usable Special Shots from Mario Slam Basketball (Mario Hoops 3-on-3 in North America) with buttons instead the dual screen. For European version, please?

SkyLink

I would love for someone to create a new details tab in Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town about character affection, just like the one created in the 2020 Remake. It's horrible to have to keep researching ways to find out your level of affection, as in the case of some characters that when they reach a specific level of affection, they release something in their homes. Like in Ellen's case, where you need some very high affection with her for her to do the sock event, and the only confirmation we have that you've reached the right affection level is when she lets you into her house before 7:00 a.m. morning. :P! It would be nice in patch form, perhaps, compatible with translations, such as PTBR! Please <3 .

And in the mines, it would be nice to have a hud on the screen showing which floor you are on :-\ .

In Jeff's shop, it would be very useful to be able to choose how many gifts you want to wrap at once, instead of having to be wrapped one by one :o .

It would also be nice to remove the function that when we put something wrapped in the closet, it loses the wrapping and goes back to being the original item >:( !

And definitely, being able to walk on the plantations, not being able to do that is very annoying KKKKKK :o !

Showing the village people's birthday on the calendar would be of great help.

Nosuch

I have a few Genesis suggestions.

-Adding SRAM support to OutRun 2019 would be nice. It has a records option but no way to save it.

-On the NHL94 forum, there's a patch for NHLPA 93 that decompresses and expands the game for better editability. Unfortunately it also makes the game not work on certain emulators for some reason. Nobody there seems to know why so I was wondering if someone here could figure out the problem.

iridium_ionizer

Mariovania - A Super Mario Bros. 3 (and beyond) Metroidvania. The power-ups would be acquired one by one and would be permanent (from a Mega Man select screen). The power-ups would also not be tied to health (which would be handled separately - maybe as green mushrooms that occasionally spawn out of defeated enemies). Each power-up would enable access to further areas in a 2D open world map.

Examples: The first power-up is the mushroom. Once you get it you can break bricks with your head. When you get the fire flower you can melt ice blocks that were impeding your path and also hit enemies from a distance. The frog suit helps you get through a water room with otherwise impossible currents. The hammer suit allows you break blocks from the side? The Tanooki suit help you get through a room full of ghosts with its statue power. The racoon suit allows you to fly over rooms with floors covered in spikes (which would normally drain your health too fast to reach the end).