News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 3198488 times)

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #7960 on: January 15, 2022, 08:12:26 am »
I forgot another improvement hack that could be made. The NES game Kid Clown and Mickey Mouse 3 dream balloon. Both games are the same with different story and cut scenes. And it is awsome that the Mickey mouse version got a proper english translation.

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1640/

But if someone wants to hack the levels of ether game then we would have 2 games instead of just 1. I would prefer new levels to the Mickey mouse 3 that has been translated since it didn't get any love over here in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs4mswz_fnY

hsialin

• View Profile
« Reply #7961 on: January 15, 2022, 11:17:52 am »
It's difficult to test without playing through the entire game, but this patch hopefully eliminates all the overly long lines which mess up the screen:
https://github.com/lightbulb-sun/sugoro-long-line-patch/

Thank you so very much. It does stop the corruption and it is 100% better than it was before.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 06:16:03 am by hsialin »

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Dreamwidth
« Reply #7962 on: January 16, 2022, 05:46:25 am »
It would be nice to see the additional content and remastered soundtrack of Snowboard Kids Plus in the original N64 game, complete with voice-acting for the former's new characters.

Was just watching someone's footage of Dizzy Land (Dino Park in Japanese), and while the Playstation's graphical limitations are understandable, and while I do like the presence of shooting stars and some colored lights at the bottom, it's still kinda disappointing how much less of an amusement park it feels like than before, with mostly rocks for scenery and several things replaced with black-and-yellow danger stripes.

I would really love to see that course's PSX remix complement the much more elaborate and lively N64 version's scenery.  (Ditto for all courses, really, but especially that one, given what that course is supposed to be.)

Brutapode89

• View Profile
« Reply #7963 on: January 16, 2022, 08:27:32 am »
A hack of Jimmy Connors Pro Tennis Tour (SNES) called Roger Federer Pro Tennis Tour with him and other actual tennis players like Novak Djokovic.

Ligeia

• View Profile
« Reply #7964 on: January 16, 2022, 11:33:33 am »
With new DX colorized GB titles added these days (Kirby's Pinball Land and Alleyway), I think it might be a good time to request again a full color version of Seiken Densetsu (Final Fantasy Adventure / Mystic Quest). Please  ;D I would do it myself but I don't know a thing about programming and it seems there's no noob-friendly utility available to do it...

lightbulbsun

• View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #7965 on: January 17, 2022, 04:49:47 am »
Rushing Beat Ran/Brawl Brothers for the SNES needs to be looked at.
[…]
Problem 2, inconsistent hit detection. The original Rushing Beat/Rival Turf had this problem too. In other beat em ups you can land attacks on enemies from a slight angle, either above or below them, but that's not the case in RBR/BB. You have to be perfectly lined up with an enemy for your attack to hit

It looks like there are two values that determine how close you need to be to an enemy vertically for the game to register a hit, namely
  • at most 6 pixels above perfect alignment: saved at offset 0x29784 (BB) / 0x29778 (RBR) and
  • at most 6 pixels below perfect alignment: saved at offset 0x29799 (BB) / 0x2978d (RBR).
So in order to widen the hitboxes of (hopefully) all enemies vertically, you could put larger numbers into these two places with a hex editor.

MetalSmasher86

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7966 on: January 17, 2022, 06:11:35 am »
Knightcrawler's recent Zelda 2 sprites submission made me think of another set of Zelda 2 custom sprites (mostly of Fire Emblem characters, though there are a few others as well) that I have never seen materialize in any form, and I would love to see someone bring those sprites to life. Some examples:

Fairune heroine:

Ike:

Robin (both genders):

Cloud (FF7):

Corrin (both genders):

Roy:

Marth:

Chrom:

Lyn:

Lucina:

Sephiroth (FF7):

Raphtalia (The Rising of the Shield Hero):

Little Mac (Punch-Out):

Naofumi Iwatani (The Rising of the Shield Hero):

Zelda (CD-i):

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #7967 on: January 17, 2022, 09:35:17 am »
Wow cool, Metal Smasher. I would love to play as one of them (or the two avatars from the Satellaview game versions if they were made in that style). I mean Zelda 2 does need a bit more love after all

DragonAtma

• View Profile
« Reply #7968 on: January 17, 2022, 10:38:45 am »
Back in 2018 I had the idea of bringing Battle of Olympus (or some other ancient greek adventure) to Zelda 2. That may not fit this topic, as the tools mean I definitely have the ability to do so; I just don't have the time (I'm swamped in projects).

What certainly fits is giving Gemfire a better AI; I wrote up a pseudocode AI, but since I don't know SNES programming there's no way I could do it without help.
In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
My mods: Romance of the Three Kingdoms II, Gemfire, 7th Saga, and more

E.Signal

• View Profile
« Reply #7969 on: January 17, 2022, 12:55:28 pm »
It looks like there are two values that determine how close you need to be to an enemy vertically for the game to register a hit, namely
  • at most 6 pixels above perfect alignment: saved at offset 0x29784 (BB) / 0x29778 (RBR) and
  • at most 6 pixels below perfect alignment: saved at offset 0x29799 (BB) / 0x2978d (RBR).
So in order to widen the hitboxes of (hopefully) all enemies vertically, you could put larger numbers into these two places with a hex editor.

So that's what the problem is, I would fix this game myself but I don't know anything about modding or programming lol

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7970 on: January 17, 2022, 02:53:46 pm »
Today I learned of this NES game called "Adventures of Dino Riki" and immediately noticed how similar it is to the MSX game Knightmare. So here's an idea:
Hack the Adventures of Riki into a Knightmare, but with diminished difficulty in anything that involves jumping (or perhaps scrap jumping altogether).

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7971 on: January 17, 2022, 02:58:55 pm »
So that's what the problem is, I would fix this game myself but I don't know anything about modding or programming lol
You would have to download a hex editor, then I think it's a pretty simple process. Open ROM, scroll down to appropriate address, click on value, type desired value. Save.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

danuffo

• View Profile
« Reply #7972 on: January 17, 2022, 07:31:12 pm »
That already exists:

SMAS: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5434/
SMAS+W: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2778/

BUT, I would ask those for the Japanese Super Mario Collection and the PAL releases of SMAS and SMAS+W.

Also for the PAL releases, change the covers for their European counterparts in Title Selection.

If people is very focused in NTSC versions is because they are better than PAL.

You are asking to work on slow speed versions which is not a good condition for the players. 

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7973 on: January 17, 2022, 08:41:53 pm »
I believe this hack might be what you're looking for, https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5939/. That's the one I noticed. Please check it out.

Checked them out. A lot of other things in those projects I am not too keen on and would prefer just Luigi with his own sprite for Player 2 without any other features. The music notes, coin spinning, and block reflection animation was too fast.

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #7974 on: January 18, 2022, 12:42:10 am »
Going threw my mega man games to play and forgot about a fun mega man clone bootleg Thunder Blast man aka Rocman x. Be cool if someone wants to hack the title screen to say Thunder Blast man since it really is not rocman x lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU-9jAMBAbc

Retrolife

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #7975 on: January 18, 2022, 07:14:09 am »
We need a Golgo 13 nes rom hack as a tribute to the Manga creator who died last year it should be called Golgo 13  Takao Saito edition with a lot of improvements
(Gameplay,Music,NPCs,Graphics)all overhauled/updated

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003, baby!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #7976 on: January 21, 2022, 05:51:52 pm »
How's about another Tiny Toons hack in the Mario universe?

But this time you can play not only as Mario, but Luigi, Wario & Waluigi and change the levels around to add for extra flavor.  ;)

lightbulbsun

• View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #7977 on: January 21, 2022, 06:48:19 pm »
A hack for the GBA game "Dr. Mario & Puzzle League" so it automatically boots into Dr. Mario, and if possible to prevent it from going back to the menu that allows you to choose which game to play. To put it simply, to turn "Dr. Mario & Puzzle League" into just "Dr. Mario" for the GBA.

The games start at the following respective addresses:
  • 0x08080000: Puzzle League
  • 0x08400000: Dr. Mario
In order to boot directly into Dr. Mario for example, you can jump to its address at the beginning of the code:

080000C0:  E28F0004   add   r0, pc, #4
080000C4:  E5900000   ldr   r0, [r0, #0]
080000C8:  E12FFF10   bx    r0
080000CC:  08400000

which translates to 16 bytes to be patched with a hex editor, beginning at offset 0x000000c0:
04 00 8f e2 00 00 90 e5  10 ff 2f e1 00 00 40 08

To do the same for Puzzle League, replace the last 4 bytes with 00 00 08 08.

E.Signal

• View Profile
« Reply #7978 on: January 21, 2022, 10:00:38 pm »
A hack for Final Fight 2 for the SNES that improves the damage output for all 3 playable characters, the damage they do to enemies is terrible and it makes the game very boring and tedious. Also if possible, restore the japan stuff that was removed in the US version like the 1st boss, Won Won's weapon and the 2 female enemies, Mary and Eliza.

ClarkKent1984

• View Profile
NES punch-out with Superman skin/palette
« Reply #7979 on: January 22, 2022, 09:59:20 am »
I wonder if there is any ambitious expert out there who would take the NES game punch out and hack it to create a Superman game. The background and player or sprites could look like the Atari ST Superman Man of Steel game as attached. Let me know if you want to discuss.
The YouTube below shows a level where Superman protects a shuttle, etc at the 5:32 mark and attacking Lex Luthor's space station at 21:05. I imagine something along those lines where dodging and punching mechanics remain with a starfield continually scrolling instead of a boxing ring floor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iQPdUeHgbU
The "Star Fox" looking level is the first level of this 1988 Superman Man of Steel game. Perhaps this could provide other ideas of a first-person superhero fighting game. (first level = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJHudIqRCo4)
I just had another idea... I wish someone turned Star Fox into a Superman game.