News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 3161420 times)

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #7840 on: November 19, 2021, 12:10:46 pm »
We should also make the English terminologies of the first four games be more up to date with their current installments (e.g. Phantasy Star Online 2).
That is potentially fighting words there, especially around here where 1 through 4 (and whatever we are counting ages as) and online are considered different franchises for most intents and purposes.

No, that's not what I am proposing, and I am honestly a bit perplexed how you came to this conclusion. The GBA "NES Classics", Virtual Console, and Zelda Game & Watch releases haven't changed how saves worked or where you can save, only how you need to do so. You could already save in the NES games by bringing up the inventory screen in Zelda 1, and either pausing or being in the overworld in Zelda 2, but you originally needed a second controller in player two's port to press Up + A in order to save without dying first. I am literally just proposing that this ability gets made available on the NES originals by pressing a similar combination with player one's controller since that's how most rereleases of the game have functioned since.

OK then. That is still technically 2) but on the far easier end of the spectrum as you are doing more of a baseline control hack than adding branches/jumps to extant functionality.

Retrolife

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #7841 on: November 19, 2021, 12:15:31 pm »
A good Star Trek TNG Hack for Genesis&Snes would be making the Crew in the game from Lower Decks

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7842 on: November 19, 2021, 02:58:01 pm »
A good Star Trek TNG Hack for Genesis&Snes would be making the Crew in the game from Lower Decks

Think I would find more artistic expression in playing all those "hitler in" that badder hacks et al collect, however to each their own.

91-MPH

• View Profile
« Reply #7843 on: November 19, 2021, 09:37:48 pm »
That is potentially fighting words there, especially around here where 1 through 4 (and whatever we are counting ages as) and online are considered different franchises for most intents and purposes.

I withdraw my last statement... >.<

Brokio

• View Profile
« Reply #7844 on: November 19, 2021, 10:10:15 pm »
Anyone familiar with the NES JRPG Radia Senki? There is also an unreleased US prototype called Tower of Radia.

My major gripe with this game is the obscenely slow movement speed. I understand it was probably intentional to not disrupt the flow of battle, but outside of battle should be quick moving or have a dash button. I noticed in the prototype version, the characters move slightly faster. That being said, I wonder if anyone could make some sort of speed up or sprint hack for this game. I've seen it done for other NES RPGs. It shouldn't be too hard to find what code changed between the prototype and this version. Would greatly be appreciated.

Also, maybe on a less practical note, would a 2 player co-op hack be possible? Maybe in a similar fashion to new ghostbusters 2 hack?

Game screenshots and info:

Chrono 199X

• View Profile
« Reply #7845 on: November 21, 2021, 08:20:06 am »
It would be great if someone ported the Steam version script of Chrono Trigger into the SNES version, plus bugfixes. AFAIK the script in the Steam version is the one present in the DS game with further improvements, so it's probably the best official localization we'll ever get.

Neon Streetlight

• View Profile
« Reply #7846 on: November 22, 2021, 07:39:23 am »
I’d love to see someone give Soul Blazer (SNES) the love it deserves.

It can really benefit from a retranslation as the story is decent but the language sounds literal.

There were also some changes made from the Japanese version such as censoring Medusa and turning her into Poseidon.

Finally, speeding up the text would make a big difference as it currently takes a while for it to print across the screen.

There’s a real opportunity for someone to make a definitive version of this game and I’m happy to contribute however I can if someone decides to take it on.

November 22, 2021, 07:41:12 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
It would be great if someone ported the Steam version script of Chrono Trigger into the SNES version, plus bugfixes. AFAIK the script in the Steam version is the one present in the DS game with further improvements, so it's probably the best official localization we'll ever get.

I’m curious what’s been changed from the DS version and would love to see this done. Just getting rid of Frog’s accent alone would be a step up.

November 22, 2021, 07:45:05 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
The title says it all. Take the scripts of the DS versions of Dragon Quest V-VI, and port them to the SNES versions.

With similar attempts made to Final Fantasy installments for the NES and SNES, and Dragon Quest installments for the NES, I find it hard to believe that the SNES installments for Dragon Quest have yet to receive the same treatment.

Such script ports would make a nuanced merger of both worlds: a modern day localization, with the game's console debut of origin.

This has always baffled me and I thought after the success of DQXI, this would have happened by now.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 07:49:31 am by Neon Streetlight »

Cris1997XX

• View Profile
« Reply #7847 on: November 22, 2021, 07:47:08 pm »
A hack which converts the Japanese/American Final Fantasy 1 ROM to VRC7 and adds the FM soundtrack from the MSX port

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7848 on: November 23, 2021, 01:56:44 am »
Soul Blader has instant text.
It is Soul Blazer which has slow printing text.
My only guess why is perhaps as a "failsafe" for if they messed up formatting the text so that if a line of text ends up exceeding the textbox (and scrolling off) they presume the player would have at least already read the beginning of the line before it scrolls off the screen.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Neon Streetlight

• View Profile
« Reply #7849 on: November 23, 2021, 08:16:47 am »
Soul Blader has instant text.
It is Soul Blazer which has slow printing text.
My only guess why is perhaps as a "failsafe" for if they messed up formatting the text so that if a line of text ends up exceeding the textbox (and scrolling off) they presume the player would have at least already read the beginning of the line before it scrolls off the screen.

Yep, the slow text (which can’t even be sped up with a button press) is only there in the NA version as far as I know (probably PAL too). I’d imagine it would be an easy fix to speed it up or make it instant.

LaudinoInfamous

• View Profile
« Reply #7850 on: November 27, 2021, 03:07:38 am »
I have  idea for the new ROM hack of KOF 2002. If anyone is interested in doing or has contact that makes neo Geo and Capcom romhack, send a private message on this site

the_taco_shell

• View Profile
« Reply #7851 on: November 27, 2021, 04:30:10 am »
I played and mastered Initial D Street Stage for the PSP and I really like the game, but there is nothing challenging in the game anymore. Can someone make every race in that game really difficult. One last thing if this ever gets worked on can you make sure that it works on actual hardware I don't have a good PC for emulation.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7852 on: November 27, 2021, 09:41:59 am »
Have you tried anything with cheats yet? PSP has a pretty decent engine for this and you can probably limit speeds, turbo/fuel if that is a thing, enemy speeds/AI capabilities is sometimes within the realm of cheats though you probably want to be better at cheat making before attacking that one (I would be looking for their speed, or if they have AI levels and maybe the option to set it for some kind of mega boss level AI).

the_taco_shell

• View Profile
« Reply #7853 on: November 27, 2021, 05:48:14 pm »
Have you tried anything with cheats yet? PSP has a pretty decent engine for this and you can probably limit speeds, turbo/fuel if that is a thing, enemy speeds/AI capabilities is sometimes within the realm of cheats though you probably want to be better at cheat making before attacking that one (I would be looking for their speed, or if they have AI levels and maybe the option to set it for some kind of mega boss level AI).

I've never modified a games AI. I unfortunately wouldn't even know where to begin with that type of thing. Would it be easy? I could try.

LaudinoInfamous

• View Profile
« Reply #7854 on: November 27, 2021, 05:55:42 pm »
For those who know about KOF romhacking, how many characters can be put into the game?

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7855 on: November 27, 2021, 10:28:29 pm »
I've never modified a games AI. I unfortunately wouldn't even know where to begin with that type of thing. Would it be easy? I could try.

I would start with the basic cheats and twisting them to hard mode cheats (infinite health becomes never more than half health so easily, same for turbo, might be able to do a speed limiter...).

Tweaking AI things varies dramatically from game to game. You might want to look at something like the Mario Kart 9000cc hacks as they found for those that the AI basically had scripts it would do as far as rubber banding, speed, aggression and whatnot which could in turn be edited trivially.

Being a racing game you will probably be spared crazy AI https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/duels-planeswalkers-all-about-ai-2014-02-13 for now at least, machine learning is increasingly becoming a thing (It is also a potential option the other way if it is something you can emulate) and thus the usual "oh no AI editing" thing is not as close to the fore as it is for many other things.

If doing it properly then yeah you probably want to first figure out the variables the AI uses (most will be variations on a theme) and see if you can turn them up higher. If not then editing AI probably starts with editing basics here -- find the position variables of AI in the game (minimaps working backwards from graphics if you have to) and anything that alters the position probably also stems from AI decisions. You might even find it was a set of variables somewhere in the game files.

proevofanatik

• View Profile
Super Tennis hack?
« Reply #7856 on: November 28, 2021, 07:59:56 pm »
Hi. I was wondering if this is possible. I play a tennis game called Super Tennis on the SNES. It is the best tennis game of its time easily. Only thing that is missing from it is 4 player doubles. It only allows 2 human players to play doubles. Is it possible for one of you very fine ROM hackers to enable 4 players multitap on this game?

Thanks in advance

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7857 on: November 29, 2021, 02:56:43 pm »
So there is already a doubles match but with either two humans or human and AI on each side (don't know which, does not really matter either).

I don't know the specifics of the SNES multitap ( http://problemkaputt.de/fullsnes.htm#snescontrollersmultiplayer5mp5fiveplayeradaptor for a start on such things) but if it is anything like other things doing the same (and no reason for it not to be/ a quick scan of the above) then should not be so hard to kick the AI out and allow you to substitute human inputs instead. Adding players on where you don't have to have extra animations and all that jazz is usually the easier of the possibilities here. It might not be a trivial thing as you might still have to remake stamina, limits or something he AI automatically handle/ignores.

As a start it then most would likely go find one of the AI player's screen location in the OAM. Anything that alters the screen position of a sprite will have fallen directly from whatever movement the AI generated for it. You would then work backwards from there to find any hit commands and movement and instead have it reach for the controller input instead. Repeat for player 4. At this point hopefully it works fine, if not then you get to figure out what limitations you need to add back in (or maybe just ignore if you think it adds something to the experience -- if it say loses the container box because the AI normally handles all that then maybe I want to be able run the other side of the court or into the referees/ball boys).

bukopandan

• View Profile
« Reply #7858 on: December 01, 2021, 01:02:45 am »
Improve the AI behavior of Partner allies in Phantasy Star Portable, in the retail release, your allies don't attack enemies unless you and your allies are near one, and to make matters worse when the enemies are far away and throwing long range attacks, allies only stand still and just serves as meat shields. hopefully someone could make a hack that makes allies recognize enemy placements, choose a weapon to use depending on enemy type and attack them automatically like they're supposed to do instead of standing still catching long range enemy shots. Although you have allies with you, this game makes you feel like you're the only one doing all the dirty work and having allies being pointless.   
My Youtube Channel where I demonstrate my mad video gaming skills. Kekekek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGPnfU4q12x6vEWXv4Ftq8Q/videos

XDel

• View Profile
« Reply #7859 on: December 01, 2021, 01:35:16 am »
Rygar and Strider bug fix, graphical updates, control tweaks etc for the NES.