News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2842581 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #7760 on: October 24, 2021, 04:31:01 pm »
This is going to sound crazy, but how about MSU1 for Frogger?  The SNES version is kinda bare and it was obviously a cashgrab for the console's swan song, but it looks decent and the only glaring weakness it has is no music.

gamingcat02261991

• View Profile
« Reply #7761 on: October 24, 2021, 07:09:36 pm »
Another idea of mine is a ROM Hack of Pokemon Red with the name "Pokemon Rainbow Version" that adds lots of bugfixes (especially regarding moves like Rage and Focus Energy), three additional types (Dark, Steel, and Fairy) which change things like Clefairy and Magneton's typings and the move Bite, the return of the ever-elusive Green as a female player option (like Kris in Pokemon Crystal before), the unused battle against Professor Oak after truly catching them all, the infamous "The <POKeMON> you traded to me went and evolved!" mistranslation corrected, Pokedex entries based on Japanese Red/Green (and by extension, all versions of FireRed), all 151 Pokemon obtainable without trading or glitches or cheats, an the unused Butterfree for Beedrill trade being changed so that the Game Freak Director, after obtaining all Pokemon except Mew and getting all eight Gym Badges and defeating the rival, will trade you his un-nicknamed Mew for your Pikachu. Oh, and no evolved wild Pokemon or traded Pokemon are deemed underleveled. Also, Mewtwo is programmed to always have perfect IVs and is at Level 100 with the moves Psychic, Recover, Mist, and Amnesia, truly making it the most powerful Pokemon in Generation 1. The perfect IVs thing also applies to the traded Pokemon, Mew included. The traded Mew, by the way, will have the OT of "GF" and the Trainer ID of "22796", will be at Level 5, and will know Pound. Oh, and the Spanish and Italian versions will have no mistakes whatsoever (like how Spanish players were given a mistranslated line regarding Pokemon encountered by using Rods and the names of moves like Slam, which, in the mod's Spanish-language translation, uses the correct Spanish name, Atizar, taken from Gen VI).

RimHax

• View Profile
« Reply #7762 on: October 25, 2021, 08:44:01 am »
I would like to see a hack of "Riviera: The Promised Land" on the gba where you have double the inventory size & battle inventory. :banghead:

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7763 on: October 25, 2021, 10:05:38 am »
For my money that is one of the least of the problems of Riviera, though I think it might just be a marmite game (some people love it, others hate it. For me would not be until Monster Hunter that I encountered something quite so "on paper this is everything I want but I just can't get into it"). For those not familiar it was a very late stage GBA game and usually overshadowed by the PSP release. However it is still an Atlus RPG and thus considered by many.

Inventory expansion hacks are tricky things to do. You tend to face memory issues in both doing it in the first place and saving, and then altering any menu logic (for which there might be a lot) to handle it all. The only times it gets easy are for artificial caps for challenge purposes (rare as you tend not to waste memory*), or things where you might unlock/buy some during the course of gameplay. Possibly also display issues if the game only knows how to count to 10 or 99 or something and you go further. I also imagine here you are not going to face hard number limits but if you can handle a memory relocation then it is not so far to handling a greater value.

*modern PC games might be different here, though also not immune to memory issues -- see the recent fun with cyberpunk and duplication glitches.

I would start by making infinite items cheats (hopefully no anti cheat so in turn basic cheat making https://web.archive.org/web/20080309104350/http://etk.scener.org/?op=tutorial ).
That way you know where in memory, and presumably the save as well (or can easily get it**).

**make savestate before save point, save, restore savestate, use item/activate cheat to give you max of a given item/slot***, save, compare two files).

From there then you get to figure out how it knows when to stop, or when the cursor wants to wrap around (it will be a graphical result so that can be used to work backwards to it). Sort any memory issues/change to somewhere with a free chunk of memory so you can more easily fiddle (not impossible on the GBA but it is measured in hundreds of kilobytes so have fun), do the same for save grabbing and restoration code and you have your hack.

***items barring the modern games work in generally one of two ways.
1) Item name and counts. This will tend to be for things you can arrange in a game. Here the inventory will be filled by some manner of item identifier and item count -- if you have ever had a cheat code guide where you had to replace the payload part (usually the end of the cheat) with some value according to what you want or would appear in a given slot then this is that. If it is in the memory location part then might be the thing below.
2) Item location on a table determines the count, which is actually one of the nicer things for inventory hacks if there is not a hard limit you are brushing up against. If you are having trouble visualising things then imagine making a big spreadsheet for inventorying whatever and then a place you can put a count next to it.

Modern games might be more modern data handling approaches with linked lists, proper databases or quasi databases, and items themselves will tend not to be a simple identifier as much as list of attributes they have within the definition (if you have say 9 element types, damage, magic damage, accuracy, weight, cost, bunch of buffs... then it starts to add up vs saying atk=100, fire elemental 10% and everything else left by the wayside). I would not be stunned disbelief to see something like this on the GBA (Diablo on the PC was 1997, this was 2005), and there are perks to this approach that you could justify the annoyances, but it would be a notable event.

Possible option for the meantime. It is possible to make button activator cheats ( https://web.archive.org/web/20191123185756/https://doc.kodewerx.org/hacking_gba.html ) and hardpatch those into GBA ROMs (see GBA-atm and GBA-atm rebirth) quite trivially. Adding something/setting to full is a thing you could do. If you lack the self control to use it properly then you could do a stinger like adding this also removes health/mana/money/experience/... as those are probably still going to be things you can find with cheats (or indeed learn from cheats someone else made).

Possible alternative the second. 50/50 chance of consumption by using the item will statistically make for the same result in the long term, though short runs of bad luck with low item counts means that might not be ideal for some things (I am not usually one for adding randomness into games). Far easier hack to do as well, even if you have to delve into code (I can see a path to doing this with cheats if you have nice options for memory and want to code in a bit of logic, would rather do it on the DS or PSP though with cheat engines there as the GBA stuff is that little bit too crude for my tastes for stuff like this) -- anything that writes the potion count you want to look at, presumably to remove one. Easy enough to change a simple subtract to one that flips a virtual coin first and then does what needs doing.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7764 on: October 25, 2021, 01:24:50 pm »
Can someone please make a hack for the arcade version of SSF2T that tones down the difficulty of the cheap input reading AI opponents, makes the original colors selectable for the "ST" mode characters and the AI opponents, makes the special move motions simplified like HD Remix and make it where the speed option "Turbo 0" is the original Super SFII speed. Other versions like the GBA one did all of this and it would be cool if the Arcade version did the same.
Same here, I would love to see a hack that will do all that to the arcade version of SSF2T, including give you access to Shin Akuma as well.

Same thing with Ring of Destruction, I would love to see a hack for it that will tone down the AI and also make it choose the normal colors for all the wrestlers in single player mode as well.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 01:31:06 pm by SCD »

gamingcat02261991

• View Profile
« Reply #7765 on: October 25, 2021, 03:41:33 pm »
Surprise! I have another ROM Hack idea regarding the PS1 release of Metal Slug X that restores the blood colors to the original Japanese version.

highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #7766 on: October 25, 2021, 09:10:15 pm »
Aturning three fighters names like Vega into M.Bison, Balrog into Vega and M.Bison into Balrog.

or change the names to the original in all games.
akuma gouki
bison vega
vega balrog
balrog bison

E.Signal

• View Profile
« Reply #7767 on: October 26, 2021, 12:26:50 am »
Same here, I would love to see a hack that will do all that to the arcade version of SSF2T, including give you access to Shin Akuma as well.

Same thing with Ring of Destruction, I would love to see a hack for it that will tone down the AI and also make it choose the normal colors for all the wrestlers in single player mode as well.

I'm surprised it hasn't been done yet seeing how well known the AI difficulty in SSF2T is. There's one SSF2T hack out there called New Legacy that I wish had toned down the AI, but that one's made for 2 player competition. Can't there just be a way to replace the code for the AI with the ones from one of the home ports like the PS1 or the GBA one? I wanna see Ring of Destruction's AI get toned down too. It's weird, all the fighting games from '93 through '94 have cheap and difficult AI in them.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7768 on: October 26, 2021, 12:56:54 am »
Yeah, I never understood why during that time period Capcom, Midway and SNK wanted to make the AI near impossible to defeat in their fighting games, my only guess is they did that to get more quarters added to their arcade machines, but it backfired on them because they were getting complaints from players and in '95 they toned down the AI in their newer fighting games.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 01:44:41 am by SCD »

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #7769 on: October 26, 2021, 02:08:00 am »
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (GCN)

Disable level-ups from restoring your HP and FP.

Star Ocean: First Departure/Second Evolution (PSP):

Raise MP costs for the following spells:

Cure All: 96 MP
Faerie Healing: 56 MP
Faerie Light: 176 MP
Raise Dead: 84 MP

Suikoden V (PS2):

Raise number of extra slots to 6 (including interface changes).

Joshua Helmeke

• View Profile
« Reply #7770 on: October 26, 2021, 11:39:07 am »
I'd love to see a Capsule Remix patch for Mega Man X2.  I know that there is one out there for Mega Man X, but nothing so far for the sequel to that game: Mega Man X2.

It would also be FANTASTIC to have a randomizer for Capcoms famous game, Demon's Crest.  Demon's Crest desperately needs a randomizer.  Now that I think of it, Demon's Crest also desperately needs a save slot patch...

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #7771 on: October 26, 2021, 05:16:04 pm »
Surprise! I have another ROM Hack idea regarding the PS1 release of Metal Slug X that restores the blood colors to the original Japanese version.

For both USA and EUR versions.

Metal Slug XX (PSP):

Make possible to start a game from P2 side in single player mode. Like hold L & R while selecting Single Mode.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 07:05:16 pm by RealGaea »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7772 on: October 26, 2021, 05:29:56 pm »
For my money that is one of the least of the problems of Riviera, though I think it might just be a marmite game (some people love it, others hate it. For me would not be until Monster Hunter that I encountered something quite so "on paper this is everything I want but I just can't get into it"). For those not familiar it was a very late stage GBA game and usually overshadowed by the PSP release. However it is still an Atlus RPG and thus considered by many.
Riviera was actually a WonderSwan Color game originally. Though I'm going to guess even in Japan it was overlooked in its native format.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #7773 on: October 26, 2021, 05:36:32 pm »
An English translation of the Street Fighter II': Champion Edition PC-Engine (TurboGrafx-16 to USA) version even by turning three fighters names like Vega into M.Bison, Balrog into Vega and M.Bison into Balrog.

There was an English Translation, but that was the only thing hacker didn't do it. Someone finish that hack.

Or optimize the quotes since translator said "had to eliminate Staff Roll to make space". Let's restore that screen.

October 26, 2021, 05:48:52 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Yeah, I never understood why during that time period Capcom, Midway and SNK wanted to make the AI near impossible to defeat in their fighting games, my only guess is they did that to get more quarters added to their arcade machines, but it backfired on them because they were getting complaints from players and in '95 they toned down the AI in their newer fighting games.

Well, toning down the AI as UFS2 from Switch. CPU puts a decent challenge without being a quartersucker. Which leads to...

SFII': Pyron Edition.

Restore being able to start a game from P2 side. Capcom noticed that players have muscle memory due to always starting from P1 side, so they implemented it on console releases. I don't know why Pyron did that unnecessary thing.

Final Fight 2/3/Tough - Knights of the Round(SNES)/Final Fight CD(Sega CD)/Tenchi wo Kurau II(PS1):

Same thing: being able to start a game from P2 side. Giving Free Play status.

Every NeoGeo CD release:

Free Play status, since they already can start a game from P2 side.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 05:48:52 pm by RealGaea »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7774 on: October 27, 2021, 12:46:46 am »
Being able to start a 1P game as player 2 makes sense in games where different characters are dedicated to the different slots (even if it's only a cosmetic difference, see the Luigi effect).

But games like the FF games which allow you to choose any of the characters, I don't see as much benefit.
But I still, I suppose it wouldn't be too hard with ASM skill to change that in a game that already has a 2-player mode. (assume it's a flag setting which players are active)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Manamiko

• View Profile
« Reply #7775 on: October 27, 2021, 01:14:40 am »
I don't know that anyone here has an interest, but I would love to see an editor that edits all mobs/bosses in Record Of Lodoss War Advent Of Cardice. Why you ask? Because I am a masochist, and also because I felt that the goddess herself was far too easy while the Narse/Green Dragon were challenging, until you maxed out several things and obliterated them.

Nararomhacks

• View Profile
Super Mario Bros for Blind people
« Reply #7776 on: October 27, 2021, 01:24:59 am »
Hello! Some people are blind and YouTuber Enderman made ⠺⠊⠝⠙⠕⠺⠎ 10 so why not try with retro games? Introducing Super Mario Bros for blind people! This is recommended for low vision or blind people who love Mario!

SotoXLX

• View Profile
« Reply #7777 on: October 27, 2021, 02:23:23 am »
Hi everyone, I honestly have no skill in modifying PlayStation Roms, so I'm wondering if it's possible to create an uncensored MegaMan Legends hack, and if there are people interested in trying something like this.

Things like restoring Paprika's alternate scene for example.

I'm also thinking about a patch that includes the hard mode from the beginning of the game.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #7778 on: October 27, 2021, 10:54:53 am »
Being able to start a 1P game as player 2 makes sense in games where different characters are dedicated to the different slots (even if it's only a cosmetic difference, see the Luigi effect).

But games like the FF games which allow you to choose any of the characters, I don't see as much benefit.
But I still, I suppose it wouldn't be too hard with ASM skill to change that in a game that already has a 2-player mode. (assume it's a flag setting which players are active)

Compilations like the Capcom Beat'em Up Bundle gave players to Start from P2 side. Starting from there was something I didn't know I needed. Plus I want to play as Tarma as P2 since MS1.

E.Signal

• View Profile
« Reply #7779 on: October 27, 2021, 02:55:33 pm »
Well, toning down the AI as UFS2 from Switch. CPU puts a decent challenge without being a quartersucker.

I wouldn't mind if SSF2T had the same AI from USF2. If only somebody could get the AI code from that game and put it in the arcade SSF2T somehow, It would fix my major complaint about it.