News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2765688 times)

NesDraug

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #7680 on: September 14, 2021, 12:28:15 am »
The Japanese version of Battletoads is supposedly modified to be easier. Which is why I earlier in the thread wished for there to be an english translation of it.

Interesting. I did not know that. I´ll try the japanese version! But now I also wish for a translation of Battletoads. 

It seems like the japanese version fixed most of my issues with the game... besides friendly fire... https://tcrf.net/Battletoads_(NES)/Regional_Differences
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 12:50:38 am by NesDraug »
Hello! You found my shop of strange and wonderful things!
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/nesdraug

Brutapode89

• View Profile
« Reply #7681 on: September 14, 2021, 10:30:17 am »
Hi guys. As I knew we can play remake GBA by hearing original musics from SNES like Final Fantasy VI, Breath of Fire, etc... I said me myself, we could do the same thing for other remakes on GBA like four Super Mario Advance episodes by replacing GBA musics with SNES original musics like Super Mario World, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island & Super Mario All-Stars. I just found this idea.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7682 on: September 14, 2021, 03:05:56 pm »
I remember I tried to hack in an "instant continue" feature in Battletoads to try to solve the 2P continue problem.
But the game seemed to be already using almost all the ROM space, it seemed.

I just watched a video about trying to hack the Turbo Tunnel to make it easier, but doing things like slowing it down caused playability issues.
The Japanese version slows it down, but had to make small level changes to make it finishable.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003, baby!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #7683 on: September 14, 2021, 07:45:04 pm »
I'd love to see a hack of Ufouria: The Saga or Hebereke, having Mario, Luigi, Wario & Waluigi as the heroes and the enemies can have that Mushroom Kingdom flavor. :beer:

Please? :D

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #7684 on: September 15, 2021, 01:24:20 am »
That would be pretty cool.
I'm kinda surprised I never thought of that before.
But it could totally work.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 09:23:31 pm by Vanya »

Brutapode89

• View Profile
« Reply #7685 on: September 15, 2021, 05:52:36 pm »
Ah. By the way, guys. Will be it possible to make a color restoration for the Chrono Trigger DS version like in the SNES version, please? Here's already differences in the Lab 16 (Not only):

SNES version

DS version
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 07:19:05 pm by Brutapode89 »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7686 on: September 16, 2021, 11:11:38 am »
Other than the softening from whatever scaling filter used there I think I prefer the DS version, and I normally dislike super saturation approaches/warm tones.

Still have you tried pulling apart the game? At base level DS uses much the same palettes as GBA which in turn is much the same as the SNES (hence the relative ease a lot of things were carried across).
I imagine there is a bunch of stuff in https://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Chrono_Trigger detailing where locations are, or at least eliminating enough you can readily find them. Assuming you don't just care to get a bunch of cheats and savestates and play the game to rip things manually.

The issue will tend to be that the DS will probably not use raw palettes as much as wrap them in something (see NCLR and such like http://www.romhacking.net/documents/469 ). That is OK though as the formats might be supported by various tools (crystlatile2 is probably where I would start but there are others made by the sprite sheet set). At this point it is mostly matching up what goes with what, and most palettes will be named similar and in the same directory as the sprites they belong with and thus you are then left with the tedious steps of finding what is what and copying across which you do not need to be a hacker to handle if you are at this stage.
Failing that basic loop back searching is usually pretty good (palettes tending not to be compressed or fiddled with that much, if they are fiddled which you can see in desmume or something if you select update palette in real time, and if they are fiddled with for animation purposes or whatever then select a reasonably long chunk that is not changed and search for that), which is to say find the palette in an emulator, search the ROM for that same hex and it should yield the palette which you can then match to a file (in crystaltile2 it will tend to say what file this selected area corresponds to in the bottom part of the tile and hex windows).

Waffle_the_Great

• View Profile
« Reply #7687 on: September 16, 2021, 07:49:26 pm »
Here's an obscure thought.  How about a hack of Sewer Shark for the 3DO?  It has different music than the Sega CD which in my opinion had the better music.  The 3DO obviously had better video picture.  How about hacking the music from the Sega CD into the 3DO version?  Then you wind up with a game that has both video and music then.

RubyRiolu

• View Profile
« Reply #7688 on: September 18, 2021, 03:58:53 pm »
SiIvaGunner inspired Kirby Squeak Squad/Mouse Attack hack, preferably using the music from the album Kirby Rip Attack. The plot and several other bits and pieces are already there, it's mostly coming up with level ideas that will be the hardest part, presumably

Dracula X

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Page for ROM hacking
« Reply #7689 on: September 18, 2021, 08:00:46 pm »
Thunder Force II SEGA Genesis:

I wonder what would the missing stages, weapons and enemies would look like on the Genesis version from X68000?
I know how to add missing music and voices from the game already and the Death Face version from X68000 version.
Back to Thunder Force II hacking again.

Fezworth64

• View Profile
« Reply #7690 on: September 19, 2021, 09:14:23 pm »
Has anyone figured out how to hack Cruis'n USA on N64?
I just wondered if it was possible to bring the music a lot closer to the original arcade version in some way, as honestly I feel that's the most lacking aspect of the port.
I know the visual censorship changes would be too difficult to reverse aside from the ending on the White House and the exploding roadkill, although that particular change isn't too sorely missed IMO, cows getting yeeted into space on impact is a lot more amusing.

emkarta

• View Profile
« Reply #7691 on: September 20, 2021, 11:52:33 am »
I'd like to see snes hacks make use of expanded vram 1 bank (vwf, translations, un-squishy, graphics, improvements, ..)

And Faceball (GB) / Faceball 2000 (SNES) sped up more. Or made overclock friendly with frame limiters.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #7692 on: September 22, 2021, 10:15:14 am »
You know, looking at the sprite redraw projects like Super Mario All Stars, I was wondering if the Sailor Moon Another Story RPG game can get itself a huge makeover as well? I wouldn't mind seeing the sprites update a bit to make them fit more in line with the manga/crystal, live action, or musicals (or maybe update the 90s style in some way).

estoybien

• View Profile
« Reply #7693 on: September 23, 2021, 08:33:33 pm »
Final Fight cd is a good port reprogrammed by sega, there is a nice Pyron color hack to make it look more like the arcade version, but still, something keeps the game from feeling like the original, gameplay wise. And I think it's because of the punch timing, done right on the snes port.

If that could be accelerated (or shorten the delay between punches) the gameplay would feel much more closer.

pangenttech

• View Profile
« Reply #7694 on: September 24, 2021, 07:01:32 am »
Michael English Daibouken is a Famicom Disk System only game with characters from the comedic manga/anime What's Michael? ... Mainly the dancing cat Michael, or a version of him anyway.

It's intended to teach English, and requires some Japanese/English knowledge, but English speakers can bluff their way through most of it. Otherwise there's a lot of platforming and collecting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Auj0jfAW0

You change disks at the title screen. I've never seen the ending screen, but created a mockup of it here.

It would be difficult to convert this to NES format I'm sure, or to make it more accessible, but I think it's an underseen game.

What's Michael? was adapted more closely into a PC88 game which has not been translated, featuring many characters and situations from the manga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRZvOcD7u5E&list=PL7Xf6xKio9LGCQzKJH649HIOhO9uim23j&index=19

Brutapode89

• View Profile
« Reply #7695 on: September 24, 2021, 11:50:34 pm »
We could change the Japanese title of Ghouls'n Ghost on PC-Engine (TurboGrafx-16) SuperGrafx...

...into that.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 09:57:05 pm by Brutapode89 »

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7696 on: September 25, 2021, 10:24:23 am »
Small idea for Sunset Riders (SNES): A decensor hack that makes it as close to the Arcade as possible, restoring the dynamite-tossing women, the original dancers, the voice lines, the native american enemies from stage 6, etc.

Brutapode89

• View Profile
« Reply #7697 on: September 25, 2021, 10:01:38 pm »
Ah. By the way, will be it possible a Final Fantasy Adventure DX (Final Fantasy Adventure in full color) without forget the french version called Mystic Quest (Mystic Quest in full color), please? Thanks.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7698 on: September 26, 2021, 10:11:41 am »
Michael English Daibouken is a Famicom Disk System only game with characters from the comedic manga/anime What's Michael? ... Mainly the dancing cat Michael, or a version of him anyway.

It's intended to teach English, and requires some Japanese/English knowledge, but English speakers can bluff their way through most of it. Otherwise there's a lot of platforming and collecting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Auj0jfAW0

You change disks at the title screen. I've never seen the ending screen, but created a mockup of it here.

It would be difficult to convert this to NES format I'm sure, or to make it more accessible, but I think it's an underseen game.

What's Michael? was adapted more closely into a PC88 game which has not been translated, featuring many characters and situations from the manga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRZvOcD7u5E&list=PL7Xf6xKio9LGCQzKJH649HIOhO9uim23j&index=19

What I remember most of playing the game is the wall of text intro for which I can read, MAYBE HALF OF before it cuts out. :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

E.Signal

• View Profile
« Reply #7699 on: September 26, 2021, 10:32:54 am »
Final Fight cd is a good port reprogrammed by sega, there is a nice Pyron color hack to make it look more like the arcade version, but still, something keeps the game from feeling like the original, gameplay wise. And I think it's because of the punch timing, done right on the snes port.

If that could be accelerated (or shorten the delay between punches) the gameplay would feel much more closer.

So I'm not the only one who thought the attack timing was off in the Sega CD port, someone please fix this. It would be cool if this fix could be compatible with the color hack so we'll get the same feel and experience as the arcade version.