News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2709990 times)

iridium_ionizer

• The universe is complicated. Get used to it.
    • View Profile
    • Iridium Ionizer's Retro Projects
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #7340 on: March 12, 2021, 01:44:26 pm »
There are a fair amount of mapper hacks for popular NES games (ex. UNROM to MMC3). I wonder why there are not hacks that take it a step further and use the extra CHR-ROM space to fill it up with uncompressed tiles (for games that normally have compression). They would also have to take out the decompression code and replace it with simpler code, but the end result would make that game become instantly more accessible for many future graphics hacks.

I can think of a couple of reasons why this isn't really happening yet (but I can dream, right). Any thoughts on this?

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7341 on: March 12, 2021, 03:24:45 pm »
Because different games have different graphical needs. It's not like adding CHR ROM will solve all the problems.
https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/CHR_ROM_vs._CHR_RAM

Drewhinson7

• View Profile
« Reply #7342 on: March 12, 2021, 10:02:24 pm »
Ok hear me out so does anyone remember the comedy central show called drawn together?
U know with 1 house 8 characters and a 1,000,000 cameras in that house?
Well ive watched it on the brand new streaming service paramount plus and it is amazing

Well heres my idea for a rom hack based on drawn together

So i been thinking about xandir from drawn together about having his own game
But since ive seen a video from DrawnForever that introduces the animated cast
it is said that xandir was a video game adventurer

So my idea is a xandir based video game using zelda II redux as the base rom
And the titles name should be called:

The Legend of Xandir
The Golden Ring of Qwelldar

P.s if anyone can make a logo design of my title in a legend of
zelda kind of look then it will be included in the game

Update: i recently saw a episode of drawn together and to my surprise the games name in drawn together was called: "the legend of xandir" so for this reason the title has changed
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 06:18:15 pm by Drewhinson7 »

Masaru

• lmao
    • View Profile
« Reply #7343 on: March 13, 2021, 10:37:53 am »
A retranslation hack for Seiken Densetsu/Final Fantasy Adventure

The english script cutted down a lot of things to the point of being confusing

zstandig

• View Profile
« Reply #7344 on: March 13, 2021, 04:55:47 pm »
It's kind of silly since there's already English versions on other consoles, but I'd really like English translations for:

Beavis and Butthead Virtual Stupidity
Dragon Quest IV
Snatcher
Zork I

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #7345 on: March 13, 2021, 05:56:09 pm »
A retranslation hack for Seiken Densetsu/Final Fantasy Adventure

The english script cutted down a lot of things to the point of being confusing

Agreed. It'd be nice to see a relocalization of the first game for the GB

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #7346 on: March 13, 2021, 06:09:24 pm »
Need to hack Gluk Thunder Warrior NES for more health and lives ect. Because there is no game genie codes for the game.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 03:56:42 pm by Arcade-Elite »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7347 on: March 14, 2021, 01:08:07 am »
Because different games have different graphical needs. It's not like adding CHR ROM will solve all the problems.
https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/CHR_ROM_vs._CHR_RAM

Dragon's Lair is a HUGE example of games having different needs.
The USA version (CHR-RAM) is basically unplayable and is probably why the game gets its bad reputation (a QTE game that has so much lag because it tries to write so much data that the PPU surely can't keep up with).
The Japanese and PAL versions (CHR-ROM) had removed much of the loading so they can at least be considered properly functional.
However, for games that needed to only sparingly load graphics and maybe have small background tile animations (such as water waves, which can be done by simply rotating the tile data each frame), CHR-RAM was enough.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #7348 on: March 14, 2021, 03:58:22 pm »
Also can hack, Manhoru  Manhole on NES to make a better or original nintendo Manhole on NES.

March 14, 2021, 04:49:21 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
And just got done playing Super City Mayor on NES. Some one could Hack the mayor to be Mike Haggar from final fight as he is a Mayor. Also could do text and new title screen font in capcom style?

And after having fun with some of the NES Pac-man hack's, some one could hack one of those good pac-man hacks that has diffrent levels to have good JC Munchskin character sprites and change title screen as well. So we can have a JC Muchskin on NES! (since Munchskin was a clone of pac man anyhow) just more ideas  :beer:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 10:13:40 pm by Arcade-Elite »

yolomate

• View Profile
« Reply #7349 on: March 16, 2021, 02:47:21 pm »
a idea:Mortal Kombat bootleg nes fixed subzero ice power and a correct size of Goro ::)

March 16, 2021, 05:05:49 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Need to hack Gluk Thunder Warrior NES for more health and lives ect. Because there is no game genie codes for the game.
that game is hack of Thunder Warrior
https://tcrf.net/Thunder_Warrior
try used cheats from this game in Gluk
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 05:05:49 pm by yolomate »

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #7350 on: March 16, 2021, 11:09:02 pm »
Mega Man X (1/2/3) hack that replaces all the death drops and spikes with less punishing drops to another part of each mission.

Hack for the same that allows you to select the direction in which you shoot.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7351 on: March 17, 2021, 09:57:41 am »
Ideas for Monster Rancher games:
  • Remove "Advanced Training" status drop, replace it with increased fatigue (so the monster MUST rest the day after)
  • Decreases the odds of failure and increase the odds of great success in trainings by a little both ways
  • Increase the odds of learning new skills via Special Training
  • Increase the lifespan of all monsters
  • Add some monsters unlocked in the Monster Book by default (maybe the classic ones, like Mochi, Golem, Suezo, Tiger, Pixie, Hare)
  • Improve accuracy of all regenerated monsters
  • Increase text speed
  • De-censor the games (specially the "Olive Oil" that should be "Sak√©" in Monster Rancher 2)
  • Remove hidden attributes meant to screw the player (example: the one in Monster Rancher DS where every time you reset or save the combinations involving your current monster will be worse)
  • Rework the counter-attack mechanic so it doesn't have the massive damage chance on when you succeed or fail
  • If the above is too hard or impossible, just remove the counter-attack altogether
  • On Monster Rancher Advance 1 and 2, remove the character limit at the Shrine
  • On Monster Rancher DS, have all methods of Monster Regeneration (Drawing, Voice, Text) available from the get go
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 08:04:29 am by Tsukiyomaru0 »

A.W. Laris Borromeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7352 on: March 18, 2021, 07:30:17 am »
A hack of Swords and Serpents (NES) that replaces the very long Password system with SRAM but also keeps the EXP gained rather than resetting the EXP to zero! it's very tedious to gain experience from zero to the next level after inputting a very long password (and it's a NES RPG made by the company that made The Bard's Tale games which the first two got ported to the NES), so that hack could work for this game.
I believe the morning sun, always gonna shine again.

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #7353 on: March 18, 2021, 12:31:04 pm »
An improved scrolling hack kinda like the one made for Secret of Evermore for SNES Maui Mallard, the scroll in this game is way too violent.

NonagonGoron

• View Profile
« Reply #7354 on: March 19, 2021, 07:27:07 am »
An updated english translation of Tales of Phantasia SNES. It could use the GBA and PSX versions' scripts as bases to go off of (the GBA version especially, since it's more "official") It would also not have to be a direct port of a translation, to rid any "trash" in the localizations, like unnecessary censoring and/or odd "creative liberties."
The official name translations can be used, too. I myself don't care much about Cless vs. Cress, but "Klarth" vs. Claus? C'mon.
I tried to edit the game myself, but I don't any experience translating SNES games, so I couldn't even get a .tbl file, and apparently the text is compressed, so that's fun. If someone were to take this request up, that'd be sweet.

Masaru

• lmao
    • View Profile
« Reply #7355 on: March 19, 2021, 04:34:17 pm »
I know asking this it's worthless up to this point,
But was there any interest on making a script fix for the FFVI RPGONE Translation?

I'm asking this considering various things, The fact that RPGONE used the Skyrender M.I.P/End of Fantasy script
and the fact that the programming in general is much better than american FFVI, the best examples are the menus.

Even if you say that the american version is more easier to edit, it's weird that no one bothered to fix the script aside from what happened to ChrisRPG
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 04:57:19 pm by Masaru »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7356 on: March 20, 2021, 11:05:05 am »
People would usually not to desire to fix up someone else's work, especially when it was still largely incomplete.

Also, Sky Render was officially a team member of RPGONE, so therefore use of his script was not a mistake.

Do you mean to ask if someone should build another translation on top of RPGONE's patch? That is not very respectful to the original patch authors.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Masaru

• lmao
    • View Profile
« Reply #7357 on: March 20, 2021, 11:40:52 am »
People would usually not to desire to fix up someone else's work, especially when it was still largely incomplete.

Also, Sky Render was officially a team member of RPGONE, so therefore use of his script was not a mistake.

Do you mean to ask if someone should build another translation on top of RPGONE's patch? That is not very respectful to the original patch authors.
My intention was never disrespect the original authors or rewrite the entire RPGONE script, my intention was make something like "J2Evisceration" but for the RPGONE patch
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 11:46:06 am by Masaru »

Masked Dedede

• what
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #7358 on: March 20, 2021, 04:30:49 pm »
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1), a hack that removes the starting stats mechanic leaving it so you always get the best outcome for each: 85 HP, 30 MP, 60 Hearts, 14 STR, 13 CON, 13 INT, and 17 LCK
Bottom Text

KurisuKun

• View Profile
« Reply #7359 on: March 21, 2021, 10:29:48 am »
Could anyone replace the SNES Aero Fighters logo with the japanese Sonic Wings logo in the title screen?
I prefer the game with this title but not the japanese option menu.