News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2470014 times)

Miles

• View Profile
    • Artful Raccoon
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #7300 on: February 10, 2021, 11:35:04 am »
I have some ideas for Super Mario All-Stars (& World) which are based on the main menu of the game(s).

* Getting the compressed data of the cover scans from the rom and update the graphics a bit
* Replace the Super Mario Bros. 1 cover with the Rev B covers from Europe (the official artwork is present in the Japanese rom) so it stands better with the rest of them.
* Bringing in the Japanese artwork design of Super Mario Bros 2 (=USA) to the US-version, it would require an actual spriting/editing effort here
* Updating the US-Rom with the original controller colors from Japan/Europe in the save slot select mini screen
* Adding more stats to each game, how many copies have sold f.e.

On top of that, there should be also a complete new menu, comparable with the Sonic 3 & Knuckles complete rom:

Background: Digital artwork of the international SNES cover
BGM: Gentle/Soft Music Box Version of the Title Screen Theme

1) LANGUAGES
English - Japanese - French - German - Italian - Spanish

Additional Languages
Chinese - Russian - Korean

2) VOICES (from the GBA-games)
[ ] Playable characters
[ ] Enemies
[ ] Bowser & Koopalings

TibJib

• View Profile
« Reply #7301 on: February 11, 2021, 04:32:13 am »
Mega Man X 1-3 Randomizer

Had an idea that I'm not sure would be possible, but might be pretty cool if pulled off correctly. Basically, combining all three MMX SNES games into one rom and creating a randomizer for it.

The idea is that you would still go through eight stages, but which stages you go through would be randomized between all 24 Mavericks from the SNES trilogy. This would also change which weapons you get. The armor capsules would also be randomized, though there would still only be one capsule for each part type. This would basically cause mix-and-match armor combinations. (Perhaps have two parts of each type available in a playthrough, with armor locations added to stages that didn't have them before? Would allow for more abilities in one playthrough)

Base Features:
-Intro Stage randomized between the three available options.
-All Maverick levels randomized.
-Fortress stages randomized, with logic to ensure you'll have the weapons needed to beat the stage.
-By extension, which final boss you face would also be randomized.
-Additional collectables, like Sub-Tanks, randomized. Give new possible locations for stages that didn't have them before.
-Armor Capsules randomized, gives a random part of the appropriate type (Foot Capsule could give foot parts from X1, X2, or X3).
-Slight changes to level design in places, such as making the Chill Penguin capsule optional, or making the Flame Mammoth Capsule more accessible.
-Updated damage tables to account for any Special Weapon being used against any Maverick.
-Updated obstacle restrictions, for determining how Special Weapons from one game react to obstacles from another game. For example, perhaps the Tornado Fang from X3 can destroy the headbutt blocks from X1.
-X can dash by default, gets alternate ability from X1 Foot Armor.

Bonus Features:
-Complete redesigns of some of the armor abilities. The Body and Arm pieces could likely remain as they are, but Foot and Head parts would need some changes. Perhaps give the X3 Head Chip ability to the X2 Head part for example.
-Add Zero as alternate playable character, as he appears in Zero Project.
-Randomize the secret capsules. Perhaps standardize them so they always appear in Fortress 2 or 3, but regardless of stage the power granted will be randomized between the Hadoken, Shoryuken, and Beam Saber
-Randomize the mini-bosses. Perhaps after two Mavericks are defeated, one of the mini-boss characters (Vile MII, Agile, Serges, Violin, Bit, or Byte) can randomly show up in mini-boss rooms. Perhaps have another one show up after 4-5 Mavericks are defeated.
-Add Ride Armor pads from X3 to all stages, and include the ride armors in the Additional Items pool.

I'm sure there would be more things to consider as well, but this is all I came up with for the moment.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7302 on: February 11, 2021, 10:21:35 am »
Here's a few ideas for Dragon Quest/Warrior I+I and III on the GBC:
→ Move the Quicksave button from Start to Select, and whatever (if anything) from Select to Start)
→ Shorten the Quicksave prompt
→ Reduce the dialog font to 8x8 so more text can fit in the box. And of course adjust the dialog as well.
→ Switch black and white for text boxes and menus. Why? Because when emulating, running on a console, or playing on a backlit screen the white is as bad as Discord Light.
↑ Problem with that: some areas of the map that should be black will be white and vice versa (didn't see anything major with this however, only the "shadowed area" out of bounds), and battle background will look SPECIALLY weird without editing enemies' tiles and sprites to compensate for the lack of white BG (case in point: the crows and slimes will look positively DEMONIC).
↑ Me and a streamer made some progresses about that, last night I found addresses at 20A3 and later that loads bytes into the BG Pal addresses. That COULD help.

A.W. Laris Borromeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7303 on: February 12, 2021, 06:59:05 am »
I was watching a review of Blues Brothers (SNES) and mentioned that the game is another generic SNES platformer and not something related to the movie, so I hope someone makes a hack of the SNES game and reskin it as a Peter Rabbit game while keeping the same generic enemies and remove the attack button (the Blues Brothers SNES game has attack button) and replace it with a bounce attack.
Alternatively, make a hack of the Blues Brothers game which is more faithful to the Blues Brothers movie and replace all the generic enemies with those similar to the enemies in the movie.
Also, the NES Blues Brothers game apparently has less enemies that the original computer ports, so a hack that restores the home computer version's enemies to the NES game should also be made, using the C64 sprites.
I believe the morning sun, always gonna shine again.

Supergamerguy

• Retro game fanatic; loves platformers, hates jrpgs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7304 on: February 12, 2021, 07:39:00 am »
I was watching a review of Blues Brothers (SNES) and mentioned that the game is another generic SNES platformer and not something related to the movie, so I hope someone makes a hack of the SNES game and reskin it as a Peter Rabbit game while keeping the same generic enemies and remove the attack button (the Blues Brothers SNES game has attack button) and replace it with a bounce attack.
Alternatively, make a hack of the Blues Brothers game which is more faithful to the Blues Brothers movie and replace all the generic enemies with those similar to the enemies in the movie.
Also, the NES Blues Brothers game apparently has less enemies that the original computer ports, so a hack that restores the home computer version's enemies to the NES game should also be made, using the C64 sprites.

Ah, a fellow SNESDrunk fan of culture I see. :beer:
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

Kincyr

• View Profile
« Reply #7305 on: February 12, 2021, 06:16:55 pm »
I recently had this silly idea for Donkey Kong 64: alter Beaver Bother so that you can eat the beavers (beavers eaten would count toward the goal)

swosho

• caveman undubs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7306 on: February 13, 2021, 08:43:31 pm »
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2 (GBA) —  undub or voice clips removal.

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #7307 on: February 13, 2021, 08:58:37 pm »
We need hack fixes for NES horizon and Rodland to translate the jap verions to english please. So that the games play at correct speed for the music ect for NTSC systems, Also there is a NES rom Doki Doki Panic that has been converted from FDS to NES rom but is missing audio sound affect's. I would love to play this on an AVS with full audio if you guys could do that. Thanks for hearing my cry.. 😁

Dario-

• View Profile
« Reply #7308 on: February 14, 2021, 08:58:54 am »
Hi everyone, I'm new my name is Dario and I'm Italian, I don't speak English but I translate with google, I'm not a programmer but I modify some fun with dedicated software, for example Mario Bros. 3 of which I have already created a new ROM hack which then I will publish, adeeso I will want to illustrate my idea that does not concern the modification of games but that concerns those that are used to do it, dedicated software, this because if there were people like me who are not very experienced but with a lot of imagination they can give vent to the desire to create something again.
I would like to suggest a creation of a mini software dedicated to the tubes of the Super Mario Bros. 3 map, because the problem of creating streets in the map is a current issue for me, I don't know how to do it and I have nothing available to do it, someone could tell me to use farse to use "SMB3 map editor" but I can assure you that it is not possible to create tube routes, in practice there is a function but it is raw, there is possibility to describe an input and an output but if it is septum a couple, and septum a second the first fails, the previous one takes the same setting as the new one, creating only two points in the entry and exit map which also applies to the following worlds, in the sense if I create in world 2 and in the world 3 the points will be the same in the map even if they use different tube levels.
Otherwise you might think about modifying the source code of the software I use for editing "Foundry" (win64) to modify the enemy object "Changes Exit Location On Map (Work On Warp Pipe Levels)" to make it work so that in moving "X" correct the height in the map, and in the "Y" shift the length of the exit point, so it would be easy to modify it simply through this software, if it were not possible to modify horizontally, ie by shifting "X" you could think of setting the position only with the "Y" line so that (I will express it here in the naval battle type example, with letters for the vertical movement in the map and numbers for the horizontal movement with only "Y" large for the position in the tube level for the position of the enemy object that decides the exit on the map):
Y0=1B; Y1=2B; Y2=3B...Y64=64B then from Y65 to Y128 all part "D" from Y129 to Y192 all the part "F", from Y193 to Y256 all the part "H" (thus excluding the horizontal lines of the map, counting from top to bottom in the letters corresponding to: A, C, E, G, and I); I talked about this because currently if I modify this position in the layer as an output in the malla it gives me a random position meaning some points without a sequence visibly ordered by the operator.
Then talking about something else, this software has a problem that I only discovered by using it always, in practice in the background on the hard disk, in the temporary files it uses for management at the exit it does not delete them and therefore, if I do many work sessions these accumulate in the hard disk enough to assume very important quantities and this seems logical to me not good.
In the presentation software "SMB3TE" it would be useful to put an additional function, the classic "save as" to not save only in the uploaded file if I don't want to, not to have to close the job by deleting the temporary memory of the graphic work I would do.
Then I would suggest adding some files to make the "SMB3ed" program work in the download package, the "MSVBVM50.DLL" ( https://www.dll-files.com/download/157b3267a46a79dd900104f241da8c4c/msvbvm50.dll.html?c=eGF2L0tXT1RBUFFUZlF0UUxaMHZDUT09 ) and "VB5FR.DLL" ( https://www.dll-files.com/download/dbf5e2db6e4b87e31f1923335d2af0b8/vb5fr.dll.html?c=eGFpR05rRXlwSlNib1F1N0x1dmNzZz09 ) files because I believe they are missing, I found them on the internet and now it works.
I would like to suggest the introduction in the download files the free file "GUI File Signature Widget" I have the version: "1.07.A0001" ( http://esrg.sourceforge.net/utils_win_up/md5sum/gfsw.exe ) It is a very useful software to understand what kind of ROM file I would be dealing with when applying the patch to ".ROM" files. I have recently opened a discussion, a theme in "Programming", I hope that the section where I wrote is right for the theme, the theme is that of the address of the tubes in the SMB3 map for NES.
Hello everybody
 :beer: :woot!:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 12:46:08 pm by Dario- »

hossbags2

• View Profile
« Reply #7309 on: February 14, 2021, 07:22:58 pm »
Onslaught for Sega Genesis.........have the ability to use both music and sound effects. At this time...you can only use music or sound effects but not both

February 14, 2021, 07:31:14 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
English Translation for Uzu Keobukseon This is a Sega Genesis game known as Space Turtle Ship....a shmup game.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 07:31:14 pm by hossbags2 »

A.W. Laris Borromeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7310 on: February 16, 2021, 08:35:42 pm »
A hack of Prehistorik Man (SNES) to include a password system and add better music - which was in the GBA and DSi ports. Also, restore the original SNES graphics to the GBA version of Prehistorik Man as well.

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #7311 on: February 16, 2021, 11:19:40 pm »
While I thinking about it, does anyone know why there's a pause before every round?  If you're on the same stage with the same characters on round 2 or higher, why would the game need to decompress the graphics yet again?  Couldn't the game just keep using the same decompressed graphics it did in round 1?

I would love to see a SSF2T on Snes.  You or anyone else would have my vote to making this happen.
"It's not S-DD1 lag. It's slow audio uploading to spc700. Game has slowdowns/lag frames because the code looks written in c++ or some other high level shit. It has ton of pha pla, phx plx etc and other unefficient stuff."

Quote from gizaha, the romhacker that fixed said slowdowns and made SFA2 SNES the best version it could be.

Dario-

• View Profile
« Reply #7312 on: February 18, 2021, 08:42:25 am »
Hello everybody  :woot!:

I have another idea about a PSX game, it is currently in Japanese, but it could be transformed with a mod. in the desired language, in my opinion the game is nice, above all it is nice for VS challenges, unfortunately it is very difficult to use if you do not know Japanese, but even when you knew the way to get the VS mode the game would remain in Japanese in the spoken, and this having a story, especially for fans of the genre is a real sentence, but the worst thing is that you are forced to suffer the story without even being able to press for example the Start button to skip the story in case you don't want to to follow it, so it certainly needs a mod. of a team capable of modifying it, I speak Italian, if there are Italian hackers here they will appreciate the youtube link that I will shortly put at the bottom of this message, you can see this game of which I speak totally in Italian, initials taken from the cartoon in ita plus text , and it is in practice the result I would like to obtain with the game, which obviously could also be obtained in English for friends speak English, after all it would be enough to change the initials if it exists in English and the text below flows in the initials or throughout the story in the game, which even if it exists in Japanese anyway, and I really believe that they added it even if it was not needed for a possible modification like this that I am suggesting here and that I propose to do, however, I hope that for me and for everyone passionate Italians will make a version mod ita, a version with translation in Italian, gave us I hope, at least me and I have searched everywhere but I have not found anything, I hope in you.  ::)

Sorry if maybe I'm not aware and there is already something done that you could download, but if I look for a mod on this site or others I can't find one so I think they don't exist, if you know more contact me in private, send me a message and let me know .

Below is the name of the game and the link I was talking about where you see the modified game in Italian (obviously I think it's a video of the modified game, at least it seems so).

Name:
Hokuto no ken:
Seikimatsu Kyuseisyu Densetsu

Link:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zXTwKrH3Fd0

February 18, 2021, 10:57:22 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hello everybody

I wanted to propose another hack modification, I do not know if it is possible but I propose it because it has always made me angry this fact I am going to tell you, I have played all the playstation titles of the Resident Evil saga but believe me, I have never been angry as much as I was able to ascertain that in the title I will write at the end, that it is all in a foreign language for me and, I don't remember if as soon as I put the record he asked me between the languages ​​English, French, and Spanish or it starts directly in English, but I think that when I got angry the first time happened precisely due to the lack of the Italian language among the most used when the others listed a little while ago were all at your choice.
Well, my advice is a hacker modification to put a new language to the game, just the Italian one, I don't know if you've ever played it, but if the answer is yes I would like to tell an anecdote from my past as a teenager I think, I write it only for those who know the game or if they remember it at least a little.
In this game there is a part, a mystery with some pictures to solve, I remember that at that time I knew less English than now and, obviously not having ease in transferring the TV texts to a translator, I never translated them but I finished the game anyway, at that time I didn't even have internet, but as I was explaining, there is a mystery in a room with paintings and, in order to solve it, I went there with the "brute force" method, I I wrote in a notebook the possible combinations and I mean all, and I tried them all until I unlocked the puzzle. I wrote this to make you understand how much I wanted to finish it. Here, today that I have the opportunity to tell people who perhaps could change the cards on the table in my favor, I write it here to suggest a mod. hack in the hope that one day I can see it in Italian and replay it while also managing to understand the whole story, I don't deny it, it would really be a release from a nuisance that I have like a thorn in my side that I keep if I think about it since that time .

PS2 Game Name:
Resident Evil Code: Veronica.
:woot!:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 10:57:22 am by Dario- »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #7313 on: February 19, 2021, 11:30:34 am »
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) Improvement Hack
-Skippable cutscenes and you can always speed up dialogue
-The beeping sfx when at low health now stops after a few beeps
-Don't have to do each star within a level in a set order
-Don't have to completely finish the first level to unlock the second and you can reach the second observatory in the hub right after unlocking it
-Can move backwards to a previous planet if you're on a level path with more than one star such as one where you can feed a hungry luma to get to an optional challenge, or if there's a 1-up or power up on a previous planet within the same level
-Collected lives are saved but are a bit harder to come by (get one per 100 bits or coins an only 2 in letters) - this is to make doing challenges and searching for them feel more worth it
-Star bits are a bit more scarce unless in a level where you need to collect and feed them to a luma - see above
-Active power ups carry over between levels (if possible an inventory like in SMW or SMB3 could be added) - restricted for certain levels or planets within them
-More power ups placed where they aren't required to progress

Control/interface fixes:
-Can rotate the camera and place it behind Mario as well as go into FP mode in more places, can rotate the camera with the d-pad while moving
-Can completely turn around and look straight upwards in FP mode
-Can remap shaking to spin/throw to a button
-Don't lose forward momentum from walking off ledges
-Bee flight is a bit faster+lasts a bit shorter to balance it and you can boost its starting speed somewhat with jump momentum. Bee form also doesn't affect spinning
-Don't get kicked back to the hub area if you choose "back" while looking at a level on its galaxy hub map (star path menu for a level)
-Less easy to get semi-stuck on some obstacles when brushing up against them
-Forward acceleration after jumping without momentum is a bit faster
-Coconuts follow along the ground when spun into

-Item magnet when moving near coins for improved flow
-Can reset a note trail room by re-entering it
-A bit more exploration where you move back and forth between planets besides the first level maybe
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 12:53:20 pm by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #7314 on: February 19, 2021, 11:02:24 pm »
Also can some one hack NES Hello kitty world to make it Balloon kid again. So that there is a balloon kid for NES please. The sequel to balloon fight.

Retrolife

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #7315 on: February 20, 2021, 03:02:50 pm »
Can we get Wrestling Angel 1&2 for PS2 fan Translated as well ask Sakura Taisen 2 for Saturn

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7316 on: February 20, 2021, 10:18:36 pm »
With the recent leak of the Dinosaur Planet N64 ROM, I would like to see two things done to it:

Replace Fox McCloud with the original protagonist, Sabre. Including remove anything related to the StarFox series as well.
Fix it to where it's possible to beat the game.

I also recently found out that they censored E. Honda's stage in the recent ports of the SFII arcade games in Capcom Arcade Stadium for the dumbest reasons, I want to see a hack that will restore the original uncensored stage back to them.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 10:26:23 pm by SCD »

Megatronformayor

• View Profile
« Reply #7317 on: February 23, 2021, 09:01:13 pm »
I have an idea for an improvement patch for Megaman Battle Network 3. I was thinking that the following programs in the navi customiser could be key items intead of having to put them in the customiser(especially since a few of these are only used once in the game).

-Blackmind

-EngyChng

-Press

Also would it be possible to patch Battle Network 4 so that you don't have to play through the game three times to be able to get everything.

A.W. Laris Borromeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7318 on: February 25, 2021, 12:22:00 am »
With the recent leak of the Dinosaur Planet N64 ROM, I would like to see two things done to it:

Replace Fox McCloud with the original protagonist, Sabre. Including remove anything related to the StarFox series as well.
Fix it to where it's possible to beat the game.

I also recently found out that they censored E. Honda's stage in the recent ports of the SFII arcade games in Capcom Arcade Stadium for the dumbest reasons, I want to see a hack that will restore the original uncensored stage back to them.

I. Sabre's character model is still in the ROM, so it's easy to replace it.

II. What parts of the stage were censored?

Kazooie64

• View Profile
Re: Hack idea Banjo-Kazooie Quality of life upgrades/redux
« Reply #7319 on: February 25, 2021, 12:52:17 am »
I have suggestion for a Banjo-Kazooie redux that I'd love to see, similar to what has been done with Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. I think these improvements bring the game up to date and offer some improvements seen in the Xbox port, but also other improvements and bugfixes that I think are well deserved, all while keeping the core game mechanics exactly how they're suppose to be.

Basically these improvements and fixes are what I believe could have been official improvements and fixes had they released a version 1.2 as later re-release towards the end of the N64 life cycle.

I've put quite a bit of infomation into this suggestion and I'd love to hear back from anyone capable of making this a reality for me. A reply or direct PM would be great if there's anyone who could do it.

Here's the list of improvements I'd want to have:

#1a) Utilisation of a different save type to allow Musical notes and Jinjos to be permanently saved when exiting a level, dying or saving & quitting (to behave just like the Xbox port).

#1b) As an alternative to #1a, only make the player lose all their notes and hold the high score if the player has a game over instead of just dying once or leaves the world themself. The console will still be on so the musical note data will still be stored in RAM. This will give the extra lives some actual value and should still be able to keep the save type as it is. Assuming the flags for each individual musical note is or can be stored in ram.

#2) Add a bubble to the pause menu titled "OPTIONS" with Bottles' face sprite (as used in the Xbox version) to include on/off toggles for inverted X axis camera rotation, Swimming Y axis, first person view Y axis, also a toggle for changing the camera rotation from button presses to holding C left and right for smooth 360 degree rotation (with a separate rotation speed slider), a screen alignment option (pull assests from Tooie), a screen scale option (pull assets from Tooie) and finally, a widescreen option like Tooie*. 4 option bubbles can easily fit on the pause menu screen as there is a beta feature which also gave you a 4th option to "Exit to witch's lair" when you pause in a world. This feature can be enabled with a gameshark code, so the official spacing and size of the option bubbles when 4 options are available can probably be derived from that. *Widescreen option should only be included if the expansion pak can be utilised, ensuring the game still runs smoothly without any additional slowdown. The 6 options available in the "OPTIONS" menu should be displayed in 3 rows, split into 2 columns.

#3) Automatic unlocking of the Stop N Swop item locations after 100% completion, after end credits.

#4) Add a mumbo token, jinjo and bottles moves total in the view totals menu for each level as well as the lair. The mumbo bubble with the mumbo token sprite, the jinjo total with a green jinjo sprite (green is used for Tooie) and the move total with Bottles' sprite.
The addition of the 3 extra total counters will mean there will be a total of 7 bubbles on most level screens (notes, jiggys, hollow honeycombs, mumbo tokens, jinjos, bottles' moves and finally the level timer). Because of this, the bubbles will have to be resized in the following way... there will remain to be 4 rows but the totals will be split into 2 columns. The notes, jiggys, hollow honeycombs, mumbo tokens, jinjos and bottle's moves will take up the top 3 rows, split into 2 columns (the new additions in the right hand column) and the level timer will be centred on the 4th row, as it appears originally.

#5) The ability to be able to replay the final boss fight, even after the credits and the game save has grunty stuck under the rock.

#6) Possibility of utilising the expansion pak to increase draw distances and reduce slowdown.

Bugfixes:

#1) Fixing the mumbo token flag bugs (the 2 in Mad Monster Mansion that use the same flag, where you have to spawn both of them before you collect them or one will be permanently missable and the two in Click Clock Wood, where if you collect one and die, the other will also be permanently missable)

#2) A fix for the permanently missable mumbo token in Gobi's Valley in the flooded pyramid. If you don't pick up the token before draining it (by collecting the jiggy), you can never reach it again. I'd suggest fixing this by automatically setting it to its flooded state and the moat being empty when re-entering the level until both the mumbo token and jiggy have been collected. After this the pyramid will permanently remain drained as normal.

#3) Change the wrong colour on the walking N64 logo at startup. See here: https://youtu.be/x1HIvYi_A9Y

Everything else to remain original  :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 10:43:33 pm by Kazooie64 »