News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2341864 times)

Vesta

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #7280 on: January 28, 2021, 07:06:50 am »
Hello, sorry if i am writing in wrong section:) I have a concern about Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 Balanced Edition hack. The .rar file is corrupted after downloading. Does anyone has this issue?

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7281 on: January 28, 2021, 09:58:14 pm »
I downloaded it and took a look, it opened fine for me.

ToHell

• View Profile
« Reply #7282 on: January 29, 2021, 07:29:36 am »
Hello dear forum, I would be happy if someone could reinsert the room with the bar that was removed from SOS. It would also need text translated and changed. I think this game is already quite innovative and if this censorship removed again it would have more quality.

https://tcrf.net/SOS_(SNES)#Regional_Differences

LargoLaGrande1

• View Profile
« Reply #7283 on: January 29, 2021, 08:51:04 am »

Mega Man X1 and X2 "Hadouken & Shoryuken" gameplay tweaks

A tweak for a more balanced, practical Hadouken & Shoryuken -
additionally a backport for X's iconic vertical dash (introduced in X3) to the previous two games

To be hones: both secret moves are way to cool to be late game, one time use gimmick only.

My ideas:
- removal of the 1 hit kill property for both of them, less damage is more fun = more practical to use through the game
- no full health restriction
- accessible from the start without obtaining any capsule upgrade

- cutting Shoryuken attack height / vertical range in half
- removal of the silly high pitched voice sample from the Hadouken in X1
- reworking hadouken to make it visually more interesting (larger, red?!)

Optional
- back port the Shoryken to X1 and the Hadou to X2 additionally if it can be done

- back porting vertical dash (from X3) to both previous games, no capsule upgrades needed

- knock back or stun property to Hadou and Shoryu for a more fun experience
- a small start up invincibility window for vertical dash, Hadou and Shory

* Shoryuken (for sure) and Hadouken might be having sprite problems because they were never intended to be usable from the start because they're end game content. X would probably be in his full armor during the whole attack cycle.
My very quick solution for this would be to make both more like a nova strike from the ultimate armor (yellow ex versions of the moves during animations) to cover up the fact he's in full armor as a quick fix?!

These game play tweaks would make X1 & X2 feel fresh again.
A more practical approach to both secret attacks would be a blast. As a fghting game fan, I would really enjoy these two.

Additionally a better version of the 'high jump' aka the vertical jump (upgrade for X3) right from the start would be a very fun new move to open up more play styles in the previous x games
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 07:10:06 pm by LargoLaGrande1 »

SegaSnatchers

• View Profile
« Reply #7284 on: February 01, 2021, 09:38:56 am »
I have a relatively simple hack idea.

RBI Baseball for NES. 

- Speed up fielders.   

I've always felt that the games biggest weakness is how slow the fielders ran, I feel the game would play a lot better if the fielders were more useful and didn't walk like turtles. 

gamingcat02261991

• View Profile
« Reply #7285 on: February 01, 2021, 08:12:57 pm »
I had this dream where someone made a hack/translation of Tamagotchi Park for Sega Saturn to celebrate the series' 25th anniversary in Japan. What this would have entailed involved both changing the Japanese text into English and replacing the Japan-exclusive Tamagotchi and replacing them with their English-exclusive counterparts.

bukopandan

• View Profile
« Reply #7286 on: February 02, 2021, 11:21:37 am »
Auto acceleration patches for racing games without holding down a button for games such as Mario Kart and all racing games in general, call me lazy, but it sucks holding down a button just to accelerate, just one push of a button should be enough for both acceleration and braking, it will also help prevent controller buttons from breaking such as button rubbers getting stuck or misaligned inside the controller which sometimes causes double input in one press and causes muscle pain between the thumb and index fingers especially when holding two buttons at once for a long period of time (ex. In Mario Kart 7, holding down both the Y and A buttons makes the player accelerate while holding a single koopa trooper shell which is frustrating, makes the hand muscles sore), Hopefully it becomes possible one day.     
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 09:12:31 am by bukopandan »
My Youtube Channel where I demonstrate my mad video gaming skills. Kekekek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGPnfU4q12x6vEWXv4Ftq8Q/videos

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7287 on: February 02, 2021, 12:25:31 pm »
An interesting idea, but one I have to wonder how well it could work in practice.
I had found that tapping the accelerator button to slow down in the original F-Zero was far more effective than the brake button, and I think later F-Zero games even removed braking entirely? Preferring to instead make the two main buttons accelerate and turbo (after the turbo mechanic was also changed after the first game).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

seamless

• View Profile
« Reply #7288 on: February 02, 2021, 07:59:50 pm »
About Mega Man X, I have problems with the SA1 patched version of the game with Snes9x.

I can play the game just fine but if I make a save state and load it, the character is frozen and I can't move.

Also, if I reset the game there are graphical glitches and the game doesn't boot.

Any idea on how to fix it ?

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7289 on: February 03, 2021, 12:05:51 am »
An interesting idea, but one I have to wonder how well it could work in practice.
I had found that tapping the accelerator button to slow down in the original F-Zero was far more effective than the brake button, and I think later F-Zero games even removed braking entirely? Preferring to instead make the two main buttons accelerate and turbo (after the turbo mechanic was also changed after the first game).
Also introduces an issue... How to get the Start Boost without acceleration button?
Alternative A: Acceleration needs to be triggered at least once per race. So if you tap too early, you'll be screwed.
Alternative B: The opposite: you hold Brake and release it when you think is the right time to get a start boost.

Idea for Trax (AKA Totsugeki! Poncotsu Tank, AKA Charge! Junk Tank): change control scheme to have Select turn an Autofire On/Off, leaving B to Turn Left and A to Turn Right. Additional idea: make powerups last until you die.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 11:43:27 am by Tsukiyomaru0 »

TibJib

• View Profile
« Reply #7290 on: February 03, 2021, 03:01:00 am »
Was thinking about Final Fantasy IV today and thought it might be cool to have Kain and Cecil switch places in the story. All the characterizations and relationships would be the same, just events would play out differently.

-Cecil is the one who is lost after the Mist incident.

-After making it to Fabul, you find that Cecil is brainwashed, controlled by the darkness he feared he had inside.

-Kain is the one who visits Mt. Ordeals and becomes the Holy Dragoon.

And so on. I think I would write it so Rosa still loves Cecil, and Kain is still struggling with his feelings for her and his jealousy of Cecil. As far as gameplay goes, you'd need to have more late-game weapons for Dark Knight Cecil, since he wouldn't go through the Job Change. I think you'd also need to give him some other in-battle ability to make him more viable late-game. Perhaps the alternate form of the Darkness skill from the DS port?

You could also include a late game side-quest to turn Cecil into a Paladin, but it might be better to leave him as a Dark Knight.

Retrolife

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #7291 on: February 03, 2021, 07:31:10 pm »
Growlanser VI: Precarious World PS2 needs a fan translation asap thanks

KAGE-008

• View Profile
« Reply #7292 on: February 03, 2021, 07:45:54 pm »
There is a Famicom platformer which I'd really love to see translated to English: 'Utsurun Desu.: Kawauso Hawaii e Iku!!!'.

A Russian language patch exists, which to be honest, might ease the translation process because of text size and alignment.

JonGandee

• View Profile
« Reply #7293 on: February 03, 2021, 09:03:50 pm »
How can I hack Yuko Asou into Sonic The Hedgehog 1. I want her SD Valis abilities. Unfortunately,  my skills at hacking Sega Genesis games are the worst thing ever. Help?

cargo

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7294 on: February 04, 2021, 01:16:27 pm »
Hi guys. I'd like to suggest some gameplay improvements for "Adventures of Dino Riki" for the NES. A few fixes on this shooter/platformer hybrid could make this game so much better. Specifically:

+ Being able to shoot through power up squares.
+ Built-in auto fire.
+ Re-balanced speed levels. So that each upgrade makes Riki gradually faster instead of the game's default rates (which speeds up to max almost immediately to the point the character is unplayable).
+ Take more hits before losing power upgrades.
+ Start with a few more hearts. Just a few more to give the player a fighting chance at least.
+ Add a continue option at the game over screen (instead of the hidden UP+START on the gamepad).

The big challenge in my opinion would be fixing the jumping, but how to go about it seems to me to be an open question. Whatever it is would require serious rewriting of the game's code.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 05:32:24 pm by cargo »

JonGod

• View Profile
« Reply #7295 on: February 04, 2021, 08:23:20 pm »
I am working on a Final Fight 3 romhack, but I am very new to Romhacks.

The idea is to make a version that has the quality of life improvements one would expect from a 2021 game, while addressing some of the core criticisms.

What I'd ideally like to have is the following:

• Infinite Continues - It's 2021, I don't think continues are really needed... And it gets in the way of something mentioned next.
• Lower life count start on continue (from 5 down to 3) - One issue people had was that it was too easy, meaning it took quite a while to use up a continue and be able to switch characters. If the life counter per continue goes down, it'll make it easier to switch characters more frequently.
• Enemies do more damage - This will make the game more difficult, and more satisfying, I believe.
• When playing coop with the AI, it stays with you until the end of the game. - Basically a fix for what shipped in the game.

Bonus:

• Improve enemy AI - I know some people have figured this out, and it'd be cool to have it here too.
• Import sound effects from Final Fight 1/2. - I've heard that a lot of people prefered the sound effects from Final Fight 1/2. I personally do not, but I wouldn't mind helping make it a possibility.

Things done/partially done:
• I've hacked in 99 continues, with functionality wise, is close enough to infinite.
• I've also figured out how to make the AI coop buddy stay with you the entire game. That being said, it's currently only available as a different rom, as it would also effect player 2 if you played normal coop.

Things not done:

• Lower life count start on continue (from 5 down to 3)
• Enemies do more damage
• Improve enemy AI
• Import sound effects from Final Fight 1/2.

If anyone would like to help me, I am sorta hitting my limit of what my experience can help me figure out. I don't mind uploading what I've done, but I'd love to 'finish' this modernization of this. If anyone is even remotely interested, let me know!

Vesta

• View Profile
« Reply #7296 on: February 05, 2021, 05:38:16 am »
Hello, fellas!

I have an idea ;D Is it possible to integrate Go Go Ackman trilogy to Sega Genesis?
I think it would be great:)

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7297 on: February 05, 2021, 12:11:03 pm »
Plok-tastic idea: A hack that adds a save function to compensate for the lack of password and sram in Plok!.

Supergamerguy

• Retro game fanatic; loves platformers, hates jrpgs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7298 on: February 06, 2021, 08:59:04 am »
Hello, fellas!

I have an idea ;D Is it possible to integrate Go Go Ackman trilogy to Sega Genesis?
I think it would be great:)

I mean that might be a cool idea, but getting all of them translated on the Super Nintendo would not only be a better idea, but a much more feasible project. Making entirely new homebrew ports of 3 games for the sega Genesis would take immense time and effort.
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7299 on: February 06, 2021, 11:26:02 am »
I am working on a Final Fight 3 romhack, but I am very new to Romhacks.

The idea is to make a version that has the quality of life improvements one would expect from a 2021 game, while addressing some of the core criticisms.

What I'd ideally like to have is the following:

• Infinite Continues - It's 2021, I don't think continues are really needed... And it gets in the way of something mentioned next.
• Lower life count start on continue (from 5 down to 3) - One issue people had was that it was too easy, meaning it took quite a while to use up a continue and be able to switch characters. If the life counter per continue goes down, it'll make it easier to switch characters more frequently.
• Enemies do more damage - This will make the game more difficult, and more satisfying, I believe.
• When playing coop with the AI, it stays with you until the end of the game. - Basically a fix for what shipped in the game.

Bonus:

• Improve enemy AI - I know some people have figured this out, and it'd be cool to have it here too.
• Import sound effects from Final Fight 1/2. - I've heard that a lot of people prefered the sound effects from Final Fight 1/2. I personally do not, but I wouldn't mind helping make it a possibility.

Things done/partially done:
• I've hacked in 99 continues, with functionality wise, is close enough to infinite.
• I've also figured out how to make the AI coop buddy stay with you the entire game. That being said, it's currently only available as a different rom, as it would also effect player 2 if you played normal coop.

Things not done:

• Lower life count start on continue (from 5 down to 3)
• Enemies do more damage
• Improve enemy AI
• Import sound effects from Final Fight 1/2.

If anyone would like to help me, I am sorta hitting my limit of what my experience can help me figure out. I don't mind uploading what I've done, but I'd love to 'finish' this modernization of this. If anyone is even remotely interested, let me know!

Continues wise.
As you presumably found then make a cheat for infinite continues (find a pit or something and keep dying, searching when you use a continue... the basic cheat finding method really. If you want to make it easier then you can find the lives counter and drop that* so any death).

*if your emulator has nice cheat functionality such that you can do if this is less than that then do this (if lives greater than 2 say then set to 1, or 0 if it is one of those games) then fantastic. If you can deal with cheats then that would also sort your lives problem. If you wanted you could always hardcode a cheat like that as well -- read one area, if it is lower than an expected value then set lives to lower, should be small enough to have this in a vblank routine as well.

More damage or you have less health? Basically same thing from where I sit and the latter is a whole lot easier to code.

You sound like you fixed AI partner. Not sure what that entailed but I would not have expected an easy hack for that one (give or take it being disabled on a level in the level settings) so kudos there.

Improving AI is usually going to be one of the harder things a hacker might do -- AI coding is generally not considered easy, hacking a ROM to add more code is seldom that nice to do and combining the two does not make things easier. You can program more aggression maybe, more health, more damage and effect something that way. Making it do it knows when to attack, when to defend, when to gang up... that is a harder one. Most start by maybe adding something a bit more random (think fleas or various flavours of medusa head in Castlevania and why even those that might not know that much about Castlevania will possibly have heard of things).

Sound effect transplantation usually amounts to finding it on both games. If they are different platforms or engines (or a cart does something) there might be a compromise somewhere on quality or storage space (though being current space year space might not be an issue as much as it was when burning several thousand copies of the ROM to sell as the original dev back when the game was made).