News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2417318 times)

Nosuch

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #7220 on: January 06, 2021, 05:44:16 am »
Had a goofy spoof hack idea the other day. Essentially it's a Pokemon role reversal hack where you and all the other trainers are Pokemon and you're collecting humans.

Mostly I was thinking about replacing the Pokemon cries with sounds of people saying stuff and it snowballed from there.

I'd call it Humon.

FUTURA

• Blast Processing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7221 on: January 06, 2021, 11:41:12 am »
Fix Mega Drive/Genesis Ninja Gaiden so the controls work properly and such.

Topic https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=32076.0
Super Sonic Speed!

Megatronformayor

• View Profile
« Reply #7222 on: January 08, 2021, 05:46:43 pm »
I have an idea for a few patches for the Megaman Xtreme games.

-For the first game has start pause the game instead of select.

-For the second one have special weapons shared between X and Zero.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7223 on: January 09, 2021, 01:35:41 pm »
I have an idea for a few patches for the Megaman Xtreme games.

-For the first game has start pause the game instead of select.

-For the second one have special weapons shared between X and Zero.
For the first game, it'd better have it as option along with maybe two variations of command dash (→ → and ↓ + A) to choose from.

But for the second I do agree, we need special weapons be transferable.

Megatronformayor

• View Profile
« Reply #7224 on: January 09, 2021, 08:51:12 pm »
For the first game, it'd better have it as option along with maybe two variations of command dash (→ → and ↓ + A) to choose from.

But for the second I do agree, we need special weapons be transferable.
Yeah that does sound like a good idea options are always nice to have.

furious programming

• Senior Wheel Reinventer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7225 on: January 10, 2021, 10:52:26 am »
Some of those seem like fine fixes, additions and whatnot, or things to note as shortcomings in a review (or review as a competitive player).

Yes, some are simple mods and some require more modding knowledge.

[…] I would think it would be better to make the relevant mode in one of the various almost infinitely customisable versions for PC and whatever else (assuming tetris corp have not smacked them all into oblivion), especially if the goal is some kind of competitive play. […]

I'm not interested in any of the PC versions — it's about fixing the NES game, which will be intended for the Classic Tetris community only. The main premise of implementing what I wrote about in the previous post is to fix everything that Nintendo broke (and the addition of a few features that do not destroy the spirit of the crude NES Tetris).

Everybody can probably get a given ROM but start shattering the record base between ROM hacks and not and watch it evaporate or amount to nothing.

I don't know how to understand it. The modified version will not cause the current database of records to be destroyed. Eventually it will look and function differently, which will not escape the attention of either players or judges. Especially that in order for the record to be recognized, the game must be recorded.

Some of those you could probably make without causing the unfair or note debate (granted I would question the requirement to share a seed in multiplayer -- I can see why some would want that […]

Sharing a seed is not my invention — it is a requirement in most tournaments, including the European and World Championships. It's obvious that in order to be fair to find a better player, they both need to have the same set of pieces. Therefore, the CTEC and CTWC have a modified version to ensure these conditions at tournaments (the seed is selected by rolling the dice). It was created years ago and is still used obligatorily today. Even we have two such a cartridges for the Classic Tetris Poland Championship puropses.

[…] but at the same time I would not view it as unfair short of some strange things like people memorising seeds and the resultant patterns, though that just makes it even more hardcore from where I sit).

It is not possible to use memory during tournaments, because the seed is unknown (it results from the dice roll, which determines the value of six hex digits to be set in the menu), and the sequence combinations are over 32,000.

Additionally, the ability to play the selected seed continuously allows you to keep a separate category of records. Yes, there is such a category and current world record (if nothing has changed) holds Scotto Bozo — https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR1ScL65EDY  ;)

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #7226 on: January 11, 2021, 04:19:58 am »
Suikoden (PSX): Fix Marco's game so that its RNG does not reset each time you leave Rockland and come back.  (The player's guide says that the first two winning cups will be right and center, but even as I play the debug-patched version from here, I've seen it four or five times be left-left-center instead.)

eriknoc

• View Profile
« Reply #7227 on: January 12, 2021, 04:25:58 am »
Docrow did this, but it's not well polished. The exiting in VS Mode should happen, but I guess that is from the same reasons Evil Ryu and etc cannot be implemented: ROM space. Also they launched this for SFC/SNES before USA got the Evil Ryu Update.

Same reason: Rom space. That's why the closer we got of a Survival Mode is the Expert Ladder (Fight all 16 characters in Genesis). If I were skilled enough, I should do a SSF2T hack, since Akuma was properly converted to SNES size in Turbo Revival for GBA.

Wow!  Look what I just found on The Cutting Room Floor web site!  A built-in way to select Shin Akuma on the Snes version.  I actually booted up an emulator to test this and it works.  I wasn't able to get it to work in arcade mode, but I did in VS mode.
https://tcrf.net/Street_Fighter_Alpha_2_(SNES)

Since there's no more room on the existing SFA2 & SSF2 games to add things, both being 32Mb each, maybe it's high time these cart sizes get expanded to 48Mb, like what Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean is.  With that much extra space, someone could even rework the sound & BGM.  SFA2 uses the SDD-1 graphics decompression chip.
 Does anyone know how that compares to the SPC7110 graphics decompression chip?  Maybe the SA-1 co-processor chip would be a possibility with some good decompression routines, providing it would be faster than the other 2 chips.  Of course, extracting the graphics from SDD-1 and compressing it for another chip might be more work than anyone would want to do.  But if someone does decide to try this, these could be some feasible options to significantly reduce the decompression time at the beginning of every match.  ;D
http://snescentral.com/chiplisting.php

While I thinking about it, does anyone know why there's a pause before every round?  If you're on the same stage with the same characters on round 2 or higher, why would the game need to decompress the graphics yet again?  Couldn't the game just keep using the same decompressed graphics it did in round 1?

I would love to see a SSF2T on Snes.  You or anyone else would have my vote to making this happen.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 09:28:29 am by eriknoc »

VeganDoritos

• View Profile
« Reply #7228 on: January 12, 2021, 09:45:48 am »
A PSOne port of the "The Hunter". It is a mod (by a creator on Patreon named Aydan) for the Windows version of Resident Evil. The mod allows you to play as a hunter that's humorously voiced by Chris Redfield.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7229 on: January 13, 2021, 08:03:49 am »
I tried playing Maze of Galious for the Famicom and noticed it's kinda bad... Main issue being the main characters and some enemies are 32 pixels tall, which makes some jumps REALLY tight. So idea: a hack of this game to make Popolon, Aphrodite, skeletons, werewolves and other 32 pixels character as short as they were in the MSX, even using those same sprites but tweaked to fit the NES style.

Another thing would be to make Select the Map button, add a minimap if possible, and improve the map to mark up screens with doors, and add SRAM saving

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #7230 on: January 13, 2021, 09:14:59 am »
Wow!  Look what I just found on The Cutting Room Floor web site!  A built-in way to select Shin Akuma on the Snes version.  I actually booted up an emulator to test this and it works.  I wasn't able to get it to work in arcade mode, but I did in VS mode.
https://tcrf.net/Street_Fighter_Alpha_2_(SNES)

Holy moly! Time to test that out, although... I would get rid of the "Clear Arcade once" or the "Insert an specific name" condition.

EDIT: Tested and working.

EDIT 2: Gizaha simplified it in his MSU-1 patch. Anyone can locate the Shin-Akuma hack only?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 04:01:26 pm by RealGaea »

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7231 on: January 13, 2021, 05:33:07 pm »
Idea for Mega Man Zero 1 to 4, ZX, ZX Advent, and Collection: Add more checkpoint. Maybe in the same locations as Save Assist from the Legacy Collection.

Additionally I bring back the idea of removing permanent Elf penalty. Have it only apply to using temporary ones.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 01:54:21 am by Tsukiyomaru0 »

gukid

• View Profile
« Reply #7232 on: January 13, 2021, 09:01:09 pm »
A collection of patches for PS/PS2 RPGs to change their controls back to the Japanese style (O confirm, X cancel, among other changes made to accommodate X as confirm.)  A lot of games end up having super unintuitive controls because of this: Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter and Suikoden Tactics off the top of my head, but there are many others.

This was done for the Xenogears 2.0 patch and it works really well.

N.Dpendent

• View Profile
« Reply #7233 on: January 13, 2021, 09:07:42 pm »
I want to create a Hack of True Lies with Duke Nukem Setting.
Already searched for the Theme-Song in SPC-Format but there isnt any
Plan is to remove the pictures with Story and add new about Duke, change the Enemies to Duke Nukem 3D Enemies and change the Player-Sprite to Duke.
Also wanna change the Music too
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 09:41:45 pm by N.Dpendent »

Retrolife

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #7234 on: January 14, 2021, 09:05:35 am »
When Pokemon Snap is out can somebody make an NDS romhack of this game thanks

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #7235 on: January 15, 2021, 07:38:34 am »
Suikoden (PSX): Transfer and translate Saturn-exclusive content into the PSX version.  (That version in particular, because I would still like to be able to load my data into game II.)

Nightshift Nurse

• View Profile
« Reply #7236 on: January 15, 2021, 02:13:15 pm »
Ideas for the woefully underserved NeoGeo library (in addition to some SNES ports):

Hacks which address the bullshit difficulty in Fatal Fury Special, World Heroes 2, and King of Fighters '95

Hacks which make the hidden characters selectable in the following games: Fatal Fury Special, World Heroes Perfect, The Last Blade, King of Fighters '95, King of Fighters '96, King of Fighters '98, Real Bout: Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers

Semi-related: Hacks which add the original NeoGeo BGMs and SFX to the following SNES ports: Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury Special, World Heroes, World Heroes 2, Samurai Shodown

Finally: A hack which removes the censorship from the SNES port of Art of Fighting in addition to fixing the background for Jack's stage (making the woman's jacket actually look like a jacket instead of a weird jumble of tiles around her waist, adding graphics for the floor tiles)

Also, a proper localization for Garou which fixes the myriad spelling and gramatical errors, possibly cleans up the dialog a bit so it actually makes sense, and drops the horrid Khushnood Butt name in favor of Marco Rodriguez.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 02:41:51 pm by Nightshift Nurse »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7237 on: January 16, 2021, 02:22:47 am »
Another thing would be to make Select the Map button, add a minimap if possible, and improve the map to mark up screens with doors, and add SRAM saving
I'd normally be like "whatever" about adding SRAM function to old games (we have savestates on most things now, and entering passwords doesn't take THAT long if necessary).
EXCEPT FOR THIS GAME. WHY Konami could add a CONTINUE feature to other games they made at the same time but make you retype the password EVERY time you game over is  :banghead: .
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #7238 on: January 16, 2021, 02:26:29 am »

There are too many Pok'emon hacks.

Can people just please stop making them and focus on other games?

There are many other games that need just as much love.

xD

-Blaster Master Hacker
-Learning, hacking Mario 3 currently

Isao Kronos

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7239 on: January 16, 2021, 01:55:07 pm »
There are too many Pok'emon hacks.

Can people just please stop making them and focus on other games?

There are many other games that need just as much love.

xD

yeah no, we don't need to be policing what people want to work on
will hackrom for Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits