News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2773409 times)

4lorn

• View Profile
    • Blunt Bit
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #7060 on: November 08, 2020, 05:17:08 pm »
Megaman 7 but it's Astro Boy.

Masked Dedede

• what
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #7061 on: November 09, 2020, 12:20:12 pm »
Aria of Sorrow Alter support for DSVania Editor. :P
Bottom Text

gamingcat02261991

• View Profile
« Reply #7062 on: November 09, 2020, 07:33:33 pm »
I'm back with another Hack idea: A Super Mario All-Stars hack that fixes the end credits of SMB2 to better match Super Mario Advance's version of SMB2.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #7063 on: November 10, 2020, 05:45:05 pm »
You know, someone did a rom hack of Sonic Triple Trouble by turning it from a gamegear rom into an SMS rom in the Sonic Retro community. I wonder if the same can be done for the other Game Gear roms or something? I'm not sure if they've been done already (or if the SMS Power website counts), but it'd be neat to play the other Sonic and Tails games (let alone Sailor Moon) in those formats.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 06:35:52 pm by julayla »

Supergamerguy

• Studio Ghibli fanatic, lover of all things MegaMan
    • View Profile
    • Supergamerguy's Romhacks
« Reply #7064 on: November 10, 2020, 07:02:45 pm »
You know, someone did a rom hack of Sonic Triple Trouble by turning it from a gamegear rom into an SMS rom in the Sonic Retro community. I wonder if the same can be done for the other Game Gear roms or something? I'm not sure if they've been done already (or if the SMS Power website counts), but it'd be neat to play the other Sonic and Tails games (let alone Sailor Moon) in those formats.

I would love to see some Game Gear exclusives get the Sega Master System treatment, like Tail's Adventure and Tail's Sky Patrol (to continue on the Sonic theme)
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7065 on: November 10, 2020, 07:08:18 pm »
I have yet to properly investigate that side of things.

As a general notion you can play master system games on a game gear (the adapter even functions as a sun visor) but the reverse is a bit harder owing to a few minor pieces of extra hardware (otherwise it is almost identical, indeed so close almost every master system emulator will also do gamegear). Bit lighter than the technical info I normally go for when looking at this sort of thing but https://segaretro.org/Sega_Master_System/Hardware_comparison#Vs._Game_Gear
I can describe the basic process, and a bit more besides, for converting mappers on a NES game, adopting a special chip in the case of the SNES, possibly using extra RAM in saturn and N64, changing memory bank controller on a GB/GBC and converting GB to GBC as well. It can be quite the effort but is within the realm of reason (attested by several hacks and tweaks in the library on this site).
However in all of those cases you gain something for your efforts. More hardware, space, capabilities and whatnot by virtue of it. Here I am not sure what you gain and whether the effort would be worth it over a more general recreation of the games in another platform a la what a lot of community Sonic games aim for.

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #7066 on: November 10, 2020, 10:59:00 pm »

Somebody make a Ducktales 3 hack of Ducktales 2 with new ending final boss and music new areas etc.

Why has nobody done this?

Put in some level bosses that weren't used from the original Ducktales cartoon series.

(Maybe have the plot be about time-traveling to locations.)

Have a Level with a T-Rex and Cave ducks etc.

Picture for game cart: 
https://www.deviantart.com/unclelaurence/art/Ducktales-3-NES-60327019 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 11:04:15 pm by SkyLizardGirl »
-Blaster Master Hacker
-Learning, hacking Mario 3 currently
-Messing with some Zelda Nes Rom stuff

4lorn

• View Profile
    • Blunt Bit
« Reply #7067 on: November 11, 2020, 05:29:44 am »
Somebody make a Ducktales 3 hack of Ducktales 2 with new ending final boss and music new areas etc.

Why has nobody done this?

Put in some level bosses that weren't used from the original Ducktales cartoon series.

(Maybe have the plot be about time-traveling to locations.)

Have a Level with a T-Rex and Cave ducks etc.

Picture for game cart: 
https://www.deviantart.com/unclelaurence/art/Ducktales-3-NES-60327019

I was planning a Duck Tales hack some time ago, based on the "Treasure of the Golden Suns" serial, which I dearly loved as a kid. I had some stages drawn in paper, even, but for some reason I never made anything out of it. I know there's a full disassembly and editor of the 2nd one but I have a tendency to have too many ideas and jump from project to project, so... I don't know. It just didn't come through at the time, I guess. Maybe one day.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7068 on: November 11, 2020, 05:20:41 pm »
hack ideas for Demon's Crest on SNES:
  • SRAM hack for saves
  • gamepad shortcuts for quick-selecting spells and crest power without opening the menu. Maybe by holding Select and pressing L to cycle through Fire/Crest powers and Select + R for spells/potions?
  • hacking tools in general for making our own levels for Demon's Crest would be amazing. There are so many ROM hacks for Super Metroid, it would be a shame if users didn't have the opportunity to create great custom games with such a cool engine and assets.
free sluffy

Santhacklaus

• View Profile
« Reply #7069 on: November 12, 2020, 08:17:27 pm »
I'm brand new here on the boards, but a long time lurker and user.  Feel free to let me know if this isn't the right place for this hack request.

For a long time, I have really wanted a "bug fix" hack for the NES version of Slalom that prevents you from slowing down when pressing down in the air to do a trick.  It always seemed like a bug, as it seems like it's also putting on the "brake" that would normally be put on to slow you down if you're skiing on the ground.  If you're in the air, there's no reason to slow down.  I'd be willing to make a modest monetary contribution for someone's time if they could make this rom hack, as it's a game I grew up with and that "bug" always kind of drove me nuts.

I've really enjoyed a lot of the other "bug fix" hacks on the site.

Thanks!

Slalom (NES) - No brake during freestyle tricks:

Slalom (U).nes
$B139:06
Game Genie: TALUPP

Slalom (E).nes
$B13D:06
Game Genie: TALUIP

VS Slalom (VS).nes
$B3C0:06
Game Genie: TEGLAL

I'm not really familiar with this game so I'm not 100% sure there are no side effects, but this fix seems to work fine.

Megatronformayor

• View Profile
« Reply #7070 on: November 12, 2020, 11:23:20 pm »
A patch for Maui Mallard for the SNES and Genesis that fixes the snapping camera when you turn around would be pretty good.

joyeux

• View Profile
« Reply #7071 on: November 13, 2020, 05:59:34 am »
I tried asking in several forums but it seems NBA Jam TE 32X is not a really popular game.

I'm a flash cart user and the only way to play the game in real hardware is using a hack to DISABLE the saves. Using the unmodified rom gives blue jailbars on the screen.

The game uses EEPROM, If someone skilled could please make the saves work via SRAM (which would solve the problem) it would make me and some others very grateful.

Hi, I just came here to quote myself and remind we still don't have a NBA Jam Tournament Edition Sega 32X SRAM hack!

NBA JAM TE for the 32X is considered the best port of the game (along with the Jaguar one), even better than Playstation and Saturn ones. The original carts EEPROM are dying everywhere, and finding a working original 32X cartridge is becoming hard and expensive.

Please, anyone who is interested, replicate this message!

Thanks!

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #7072 on: November 13, 2020, 06:31:58 am »
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (GBA) Improvement
-Can switch between the Kirbys in SP to use the others as an ability inventory of sorts for ability gated paths
-All one-way paths between rooms removed so you don't have to replay a level from the entry point if you screwed up a puzzle or didn't happen to have the right ability at the right time (hard blocks for example)
-Puzzle elements (chain bomb blocks) reset when re-entering a room so you don't randomly get locked out of a path based on trial & error or from making one mistake
-Gameplay doesn't pause when CPU allies use abilities
-Better spark ability maybe?
-CPU allies can't trigger chain reaction bomb blocks and ruin puzzles for you nor can they push kirby

This makes better use of the allies and makes the exploration actually fun like in a proper metroidvania game, instead of tedious.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 02:02:41 pm by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Megatronformayor

• View Profile
« Reply #7073 on: November 13, 2020, 04:18:19 pm »
I love Castlevania Symphony of the night but the music final tocatta playing in most areas of the inverted castle gets real annoying real quick. Perhaps maybe some of the reverse areas could have different music.

retro dude

• View Profile
« Reply #7074 on: November 13, 2020, 07:57:17 pm »
i want megami tensei 2 in my rom collection but its a japanese game so i need a translation. The problem is that the only translation for this game on this site is abadoned and incomplete. AND many plans for a translation were abadoned. We NEED a megami tensei 2 translation on this site thats actually complete. Hopefully this comment will inspire many of you to do so.

Choppasmith

• View Profile
« Reply #7075 on: November 13, 2020, 09:09:00 pm »
So I’ve been addicted to Mario 35 lately and was pondering how one would port the experience to the NES original as rom hack. I know someone said “physics” and yeah that would be nice (at least, if it were possible, add the ability to hold the button down to bounce on enemies ala SMB3 and onward)

But also, I don’t think it would be too crazy to make a sort of “Endless Mario” inspired by Mario 35

-Remove the Scoring system, keep it time based (start with 30 seconds, beating enemies, clearing levels, etc adds to the timer)
-Replace scoring points with adding time
-Levels are randomly queued, you can probably cut out the extra “cutscene” of finishing a level and just jump straight to the next level
-As the levels are randomly queued, Warp Zones will just be the next levels in the queue.

The really tricky thing would be if/how you want to add the Power up Box.

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
    • Jo Li KMC @ Tumblr
« Reply #7076 on: November 13, 2020, 10:42:01 pm »
So, after playing around with the game and especially after watching someone play through it, I've decided that I want a modification for the classic Super Castlevania IV which makes it play more like the NES games and Rondo of Blood.  Basically, the following changes would be made:
  • Disable the ability to lash the whip in any of eight directions*
  • Disable the ability to brandish the whip by holding the attack button*
  • Disable the ability to change the direction of a jump in mid-air
  • Extend the invulnerability frames to match the NES games
    (* Some whip hooks would need to be relocated as a consequence of this.)
As far as I can tell, this shouldn't really interfere with the game too much, and it would make a good challenge for people who like that sort of thing, as well as let people who say "the game is too easy; you only need the whip" put their money where their mouth is.  I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement, though.  I just know some code would need to be added, removed, or altered to make this happen… which means it's out of my league.

Anyway, just a random idea!

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7077 on: November 13, 2020, 11:23:35 pm »
So, after playing around with the game and especially after watching someone play through it, I've decided that I want a modification for the classic Super Castlevania IV which makes it play more like the NES games and Rondo of Blood.  Basically, the following changes would be made:
  • Disable the ability to lash the whip in any of eight directions*
  • Disable the ability to brandish the whip by holding the attack button*
  • Disable the ability to change the direction of a jump in mid-air
  • Extend the invulnerability frames to match the NES games
    (* Some whip hooks would need to be relocated as a consequence of this.)
As far as I can tell, this shouldn't really interfere with the game too much, and it would make a good challenge for people who like that sort of thing, as well as let people who say "the game is too easy; you only need the whip" put their money where their mouth is.  I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement, though.  I just know some code would need to be added, removed, or altered to make this happen… which means it's out of my league.

Anyway, just a random idea!

In other words: don't make it Super anymore. Nothing against it, however, I do think the multidirectional and waggle whip is too OP after all.

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
    • Jo Li KMC @ Tumblr
« Reply #7078 on: November 14, 2020, 12:26:43 am »
In other words: don't make it Super anymore.

Funny you mention that, Tsu.  I actually bookmarked my idea post as "Normal Castlevania IV."  Heh heh.

VintageHondaBikeGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #7079 on: November 14, 2020, 09:31:46 am »
Slalom (NES) - No brake during freestyle tricks:

Slalom (U).nes
$B139:06
Game Genie: TALUPP

Slalom (E).nes
$B13D:06
Game Genie: TALUIP

VS Slalom (VS).nes
$B3C0:06
Game Genie: TEGLAL

I'm not really familiar with this game so I'm not 100% sure there are no side effects, but this fix seems to work fine.

Thank you for letting me know about this!  I've looked for a GG code like this in the past and wasn't able to locate one.  I appreciate it.