News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2849093 times)

RealGaea

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #7020 on: October 24, 2020, 07:59:51 pm »
I'm a fan of Rock, Blues, Forte and everything "purist," but only when referring to the characters as their given names. Megaman is Rock's fighting persona, not his given name. Not a fan of "Mega". It sounds stupid and is a bad localization.

So when Dr. Light talks to Megaman he should call him "Rock", When Dr. Cossack first meets Megaman, he should call him "Megaman". That sort of thing would make things groove better.

The intro of MM4 was on the Right(pun) track, and then they gone three steps back in later games. I kinda liked when Romhacks unified criteria from later games to early ones (ditching "Mega Man X" to simply "X"). A proper balance between original and localized terms.

(I read the Captain Commando manga, UDON official edition, and I was pleased that Baby Head's real name was Dr. Hoover, as a nod. If only Jennety was the Alien name but the rest call him Mack, and Sho was the Ninja's Real Name but uses Ginzu as his incognito alias.)

Anyway, I just wanted to make Japanese styled-logos por the hacked versions, so I can differentiate from their originals (I literally YEET'd the horrid Megaman Zero 3 & 4 EUR logos for the USA ones). Yes, that's it: The better logos.

baumkuchen84

• View Profile
« Reply #7021 on: October 25, 2020, 06:51:22 am »
I would love to create a Secret of Evermore hack according to a video game theory I created to that game...

In short it's about the following:
Square changed Secret of Evermore in the last weeks of development because it was too child unfriendly and among other things contained the hero killing humans. The evil humans the hero killed were the four Podunkers who conquered the world Evermore. So that they don't have to change too much stuff they came up with the idea to just change dialogue and insert evil twins into the game. They kept the scenes which showed the podunkers are evil and said its the evil robots.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTW7BJNq_sw)

My hack would be to "revert" these changes and with hardly any work create a completely different game.

Unfortunately I dunno where I'd even start... Is there a guide on how to hack SNES games? How hard is it to change complete scenes? Are there tools to easily change dialogue? For most of the part I'd only have to change minor dialogue and some make graphics invisible and skip some events. If that could be done easily the hack could be done in a week... :(

For example in the whole Prehistoria arc only a graphic of Fireeyes and Strongheart would need to be removed and some dialogue lines needed to be changed.
In Antiqua only one grahpic of Hector needed to be changed and some dialogue lines.
In Gothica only one event needs to be skipped and some dialogue lines need to be changed.
Omnitopia would need the most changes but again only some graphics, some dialogue and so on.
This hack would make the game totally different with hardly any changes :)

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #7022 on: October 25, 2020, 08:04:59 am »
I can dig that. I'd certainly appreciate such hacks.

bosn

• View Profile
« Reply #7023 on: October 25, 2020, 10:54:08 am »
@baumkuchen84

Very very cool idea but that would be way more work than you think. Also I love such videos, they're so pointlessly fun  ;D

KurisuKun

• View Profile
« Reply #7024 on: October 25, 2020, 03:02:14 pm »
The 2 Naruto Games on GBA are great, but have some horrible Atari-like music. It would be cool if it they got hacked with either better music from the naruto series or no music whatsoever, and just sfx.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7025 on: October 25, 2020, 05:03:56 pm »
Not sure if it's been said before, but injecting the Tom Slattery script from the Nintendo DS port of Chrono Trigger into the SNES version would be amazing, as it reads so well.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 10:09:21 am by Dzumeister »
free sluffy

elkkrumbs

• View Profile
« Reply #7026 on: October 26, 2020, 12:42:09 am »
A hack for the GBA game "Dr. Mario & Puzzle League" so it automatically boots into Dr. Mario, and if possible to prevent it from going back to the menu that allows you to choose which game to play. To put it simply, to turn "Dr. Mario & Puzzle League" into just "Dr. Mario" for the GBA.

Retrolife

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #7027 on: October 26, 2020, 04:21:40 am »
 To celebrate 30 years of the game PSIII is overdue for a great lengthy hack
1.2-1.6 mb total(16 Mega Power)Longer storylines,characters redone,improved dialog,ect

Titney

• View Profile
« Reply #7028 on: October 26, 2020, 05:03:29 am »
Hack for Mr Driller on Gameboy Color where instead of losing 1% air every second, you lose 1% air every time you break a block, to make it similar to the slower more puzzle less action gameplay in later Mr Driller games.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7029 on: October 26, 2020, 10:08:53 am »
A hack for the GBA game "Dr. Mario & Puzzle League" so it automatically boots into Dr. Mario, and if possible to prevent it from going back to the menu that allows you to choose which game to play. To put it simply, to turn "Dr. Mario & Puzzle League" into just "Dr. Mario" for the GBA.

An auto-boot ROM for Puzzle League would be great, too
free sluffy

FMecha

• View Profile
« Reply #7030 on: October 26, 2020, 02:28:01 pm »
Something I'm actually trying to do, but currently hit a roadblock (since I've trying looking for helmet graphics in the ROM to no avail):

Super F1 Circus 3 (SNES): Replace David Coulthard with Ayrton Senna, considering Roland Ratzenberger is in the game. Alternatively, I could keep Coulthard in and replace Ratzenberger with Andrea Montermini, considering he was Ratzenberger's first replacement driver - except everything in this game seems like it's developed during the first few GPs (Simtek having their testing livery with no MTV sponsor logos on the team list during startup, McLaren and Sauber having their 1993 liveries for some reason in the same sequence, etc).

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7031 on: October 27, 2020, 04:38:41 pm »
Hack request for Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (SNES, 1995) that remaps the buttons. B for jump, Y for attack, A, X, or L/R to use Ninja Art.
free sluffy

Domino089

• View Profile
« Reply #7032 on: October 27, 2020, 05:24:09 pm »
I have an idea for a Remake of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project for SNES, I have always wanted to see this game in 16 bits I don't know why in its launching time it didn't have a port for arcade or Super Nintendo.

The idea would be to have as base the ROM of Turtles in Time, for graphic elements like the turtles and some enemies and objects, I know that this would be a quite complicated project since they would have to recreate the scenarios of TMNT III and several sprites of enemies and bosses that don't appear in TMNT IV, as well as the scenes between levels.

Also this can be applied to another project like the remake of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game, a game that was released for NES with some extras that are not in the arcade version, I would also love to see this one in 16 bit for SNES.

These ideas are free and can be executed by anyone who is interested and can make these two projects a reality.

singhtruer

• View Profile
« Reply #7033 on: October 27, 2020, 06:23:02 pm »
Some hacks that I would love:

A hack for Super Castlevania IV that allows you to lock Simon in place by holding R shoulder button so you can make multiple diagonal whips without moving forward, the same way it works in Contra III: The Alien Wars and also make Up + Y use the subweapon instead of whipping straight upwards when not holding R, for consistency among all the Castlevania games.

A similar locking in place hack for Gunstar Heroes but implemented using the MODE shoulder button on the 6-button controller like this Contra: Hard Corps hack: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4665/

A hack that fixes the frustrating checkpoints for Ninja Gaiden on NES by sending you back to the last checkpoint, notably when dying at bosses and particularly the final boss at 6-4 sending you all the way back to 6-1!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 06:38:15 pm by singhtruer »

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7034 on: October 28, 2020, 02:20:36 am »
A retranslation for SOS (Septentrion in Japan) for the SNES would be great. The translation we ended up getting is too awkward for such a cinematic experience.
free sluffy

4lorn

• View Profile
    • Blunt Bit
« Reply #7035 on: October 28, 2020, 09:08:55 am »
A hack for Super Castlevania IV that allows you to lock Simon in place by holding R shoulder button so you can make multiple diagonal whips without moving forward, the same way it works in Contra III: The Alien Wars and also make Up + Y use the subweapon instead of whipping straight upwards when not holding R, for consistency among all the Castlevania games.

I think this covers your first request, at least.

StarWyvern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #7036 on: October 29, 2020, 11:04:16 am »
I think this covers your first request, at least.

It is actually possible to combine Don't Move patch with bogaabogaa's Run patch included in the Coffee Edition. I made a mod that allows you to Run with R and Lock with L.
Insert "Witty Text" here.

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #7037 on: October 29, 2020, 06:55:17 pm »
apply as GameGenie Permanent code - be able to select level in MUSHA: Super Hybrid Metallic Uniframe Armor

ps = the trick is bad, very heavy to repeat always and the game is very hard >:(

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7038 on: October 29, 2020, 08:11:30 pm »
I was able to apply the Game Genie code to the ROM, and it worked.

I'll make a patch and post it on here.

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #7039 on: October 29, 2020, 11:45:40 pm »
I have solved this bug, as well as the knock-back that some people find frustrating. I was hoping to fix other bugs at the same time (enemies staying dead when killed, balancing the jumping slash...), but those will take me much longer. I'll try to release what I have very soon.

A hack that fixes the frustrating checkpoints for Ninja Gaiden on NES by sending you back to the last checkpoint, notably when dying at bosses and particularly the final boss at 6-4 sending you all the way back to 6-1!