News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2107936 times)

Jeville

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6940 on: September 20, 2020, 04:35:17 pm »
Wow, you're right, that's awful. This seems like an easy hack. I will take a look when I get some free time this weekend.
Thanks! :D :cookie:

mikael43

• View Profile
« Reply #6941 on: September 21, 2020, 03:54:38 am »
 :woot!: DOUBLE DRAGON II VERSION NES USA  (Restore the difficulty of the Japanese version on the USA game). :woot!:

https://tcrf.net/Double_Dragon_II:_The_Revenge_(NES)

Difficulty Differences

The Japanese version allows the player to go through all nine stages on any difficulty setting, whereas the English version restricts the game's length on the lower settings: PRACTICE ends the game on Mission 3, while WARRIOR ends on Mission 8, leaving Mission 9 accessible only on SUPREME MASTER.
    Continues are available by default in the Japanese version, whereas the English version requires the player to enter a cheat code at the GAME OVER screen that changes after every third stage. After choosing to continue, the player will be taken back to the main menu and will be allowed to change the number of players and difficulty setting before resuming at the last stage they left off. The length restriction will still be in effect after entering the continue cheat. This means that if the player lowers the difficulty level to PRACTICE on Mission 4 or above, the player will be warped back to Mission 3 instead. Likewise, lowering the setting to WARRIOR on Mission 9 will cause the player to continue the game on Mission 8 instead.
    Enemies seem to be more aggressive and have more health points in the Japanese version's DIFFICULT setting than they do in the English version's equivalent setting of SUPREME MASTER.

DOUBLE DRAGON II NES USA VERSION.

Will there be someone who would like to restore the difficulty of the Japanese version on the USA games.

There are 2 solutions either there is an English translation on the Japanese version or someone creates a hexadecimal code for the USA version which will potentially make it compatible with other Hacks. >:D :banghead: :woot!:

Thanks to the whole community.  :beer: :)

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #6942 on: September 21, 2020, 10:49:57 am »
My "pie in the sky" wish would be for a utility that takes a .ftm or .nsf file from Famitracker and reformat it into bytes based on separate configuration files for each NES game. The utility itself would probably be easier to make than the config files, but since the sound / music data formats are known for many NES games it should be doable. Yes, the config files would have to specify which channels / effects would be discarded for that game.
I don't understand what you suggested. Reformat into bytes? If you mean generate a ROM (a WILD guess from my part), you can try eznsf, but it doesn't work with every nsf.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #6943 on: September 21, 2020, 12:32:58 pm »
He means converting a .ftm or .nsf file (specifically generated by Famitracker) into the music data format of a given NES game's sound engine as defined in a configuration file for that game.

It's a similar idea to that level editor that uses configuration files to be able to work on a large variety of games. I think it was called CAD or something  like that.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6944 on: September 21, 2020, 02:00:46 pm »
I have a request for hacking the GBA Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Four Swords.

It would be nice to change the unlock requirement for Palace of the Four Sword to make it so that completing Four Swords is not required. Maybe it could just require defeating Ganon or obtaining Sword Lv. 4/Golden Sword (to go with the "Four Swords"). I think the rupee fee should be higher, too, to make rupees have more of a purpose for later in the game. Maybe 100, or even 500, could be the Guardian's fee?

The Riddle sidequest should also be freed from requiring Four Swords medals as well.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 02:09:14 pm by Dzumeister »
free sluffy

Homer177

• View Profile
« Reply #6945 on: September 21, 2020, 07:14:09 pm »
I second that motion, but for Kirby's Dreamland 2 and Mega Man V as well.

I'd like those also. And for some odd reason, Kirby's Pinball Land.

Supergamerguy

• Retro game fanatic; loves platformers, hates jrpgs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6946 on: September 21, 2020, 11:11:25 pm »
I'd like those also. And for some odd reason, Kirby's Pinball Land.

True true
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #6947 on: September 22, 2020, 12:43:33 am »
i wonder how feasible it would be to take Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (Cube or Wii version i guess) and turn it into a traditional dpad/buttons platformer (kinda just like Country Returns i guess)

would it even make sense to do this?  i never got into the original, so idk if it would work or even be worth doing tbh

« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 12:48:35 am by IAmCaptPlanet »

vico

• View Profile
« Reply #6948 on: September 23, 2020, 05:30:31 pm »
Can someone change the point scoring system of Super Monaco GP for Master System to the current in F1 (25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1)?

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6949 on: September 25, 2020, 05:01:19 am »
Daikatana (GBC) ideas:
→ Make it so you always play as Hiro instead of Superfly and Mikiko
→ Have the cursor on the Main Menu default to Continue after you get a Game Over
→ Allow enemies to randomly drop items (armor and health just the +50 ones)
→ Give the Claw the ability to constantly damage when it's held out
→ A separate "Easy Mode" hack that halves all damage taken (minimum 1) and gives infinite ammo to all weapons + quick charge for the Daikatana

glitere12

• View Profile
« Reply #6950 on: September 25, 2020, 10:20:07 pm »
I found some time ago a gba version of Kagetsu Tohya that works pretty well on GBA emulators, but it's only in jp. Since the pc version is already translated, could anyone put the english script on the gba rom? You can find it by typing "Kagetsu Tohya GBA rom" on google search there's even a thread on reddit with the links

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #6951 on: September 26, 2020, 03:34:46 am »
EDIT: Disregard this, I've figured it out.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 03:43:38 am by pocket »
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #6952 on: September 26, 2020, 08:49:17 am »
I'm rather surprised that E.V.O.: Search for Eden did not get a better translation, because the current one leaves so much to be desired (the use of "crystal" instead of "crystals", Bolbox instead of Volvox, etc.).

hunterob

• View Profile
« Reply #6953 on: September 26, 2020, 11:09:53 am »
Hope this is the appropriate place to post about this.

I was playing the only English translation of Joy Mech Fight I could find and was bothered to learn that the current, Nintendo-official names weren't being used. The translators (AlanMidas and The Spoony Bard) seem to have been inactive as hackers for over a decade, so I couldn't request them directly to make a simple update.

The rom currently refers to the good scientist as Ivan Warner and the bad one as Little Ermin, where Smash Bros identifies them as Ivan Walnuts and Little Emon respectively. The main robot, who has become more relevant than ever as an assist trophy in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, is now unambiguously known as Sukapon, but in the dated patch is referred to as "Skapon". It's a strange situation, since this a game Nintendo has and likely may never port the game over themselves, but it would be nice to play a version that uses the names of the characters they have more or less officially translated into English.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6954 on: September 26, 2020, 11:15:55 am »
I'm rather surprised that E.V.O.: Search for Eden did not get a better translation, because the current one leaves so much to be desired (the use of "crystal" instead of "crystals", Bolbox instead of Volvox, etc.).

Yeah, good point. Some things felt a bit off on the official translation and I wish something was done about it.

September 27, 2020, 02:23:21 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Speaking of which...you know the announcement of the Switch port of the English version of "Moon: Remix RPG Adventure"? Not a lot of us can afford the game and would rather play the game on to the PS1 Rom. Though I'm really hoping that someone just dumped a ROM of the game (and hope it's compatible with a PS emulator) somewhere, but I doubt it. But I'm just mostly spitballing on this one. I understand if it just can't be ported into the Japanese PS1 rom. I'm just saying it needs to be spread to a wider audience somehow.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 02:23:21 am by julayla »

Masked Dedede

• what
    • View Profile
    • YouTube:
« Reply #6955 on: September 27, 2020, 11:21:56 pm »
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, Master Mode, a mode that combines the best aspects of each one. If possible make it so it has it's own spot in the code, if not, then replace Thief Mode with it.

Base stats (LV01):
HP: 200.
MP: 400.
Hearts: 250.
STR: 141.
DEF: 200.
INT: 400.
LCK: 1,600.

Stat boosts per level:
HP: +20.
MP: +40.
Hearts: +5.
STR: +14.
DEF: +20.
INT: +40.
LCK: +160.

Starts with every DSS card.
Have every sub-weapon buff from Shooter Mode.
Able to use the Homing Knife.

Password:
GTI-CLUB

Also, have Nathan automatically run once he gets the Dash Boots.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 11:30:51 pm by Masked Dedede »
"Genocide is just another game. It doesn't matter whether it's humans or Makai residents." - Yuuka Kazami

tygerbug

• View Profile
« Reply #6956 on: September 27, 2020, 11:53:22 pm »
Jordan vs Bird, replacing Bird with Bugs Bunny. Might have to be a Mesen mod rather than proper romhack due to presumably shared graphics.

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #6957 on: September 28, 2020, 03:45:48 am »
A hack to speed up the story text in Valis for the Sega Genesis because holy cow.

Also, a way to impliment continues or any kind of way to save your progress in Wonder Boy in Monster Land. I hear the arcade version had infinite continues but I'm playing on Sega Master System.
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #6958 on: September 28, 2020, 04:54:24 am »
A hack to speed up the story text in Valis for the Sega Genesis because holy cow.

Also, a way to impliment continues or any kind of way to save your progress in Wonder Boy in Monster Land. I hear the arcade version had infinite continues but I'm playing on Sega Master System.

I wonder sometimes. Sega hid any indication of being able to continue in Altered Beast for the Genesis, and it was a travesty of a decision.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 05:00:12 am by tc »

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #6959 on: September 28, 2020, 05:50:07 pm »
How about a hack of The Guardian Legend that reduces boss health to about 1/10 of what it is? The damage sponge bosses are easily the worst thing about this game.