News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2096136 times)

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6920 on: September 13, 2020, 05:26:22 am »
I wouldn't mind seeing those improvements for Spider-Man 2, one improvement I want to see for that game is one that will fix the color of J. Jonah Jameson's hair to make it more accurate to the movie. (I don't know why they made it all white in that game)

Sure yeah. One could also make SM's suit colors more saturated as per the XB version.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #6921 on: September 13, 2020, 08:37:37 am »
Mega Man (NES): A hack that will change the title screen into this:

I actually did just that years ago when I was fiddling with the idea of a demake of Powered Up.
Unfortunately, that work is long gone at this point. But at the very least I can say that it wasn't difficult to accomplish, IIRC.

Note: Also, what you refer to as SMB2U I refer to simply as SMB2. And forgive me for going off-topic, but personally, I think there ought to be only one SMB2. Too much confusion to have two of them out there. In my opinion, SMBTLL (AKA SMB2J) just doesn't cut it since it's way too similar to SMB, so I think the SMB2 the West got should be the only one. Just my opinion.

I am generally of the opposite opinion. Though in reality, if you consider the timeline of events, SMB2u should really be SMB3 and SMB3 should be SMB4, etc... For me I just call it SMB2u in shorthand because everyone for the most part knows what I mean.
Plus, you can also consider that when they finally released the original version on it's own world wide (not part of a compilation) they didn't bother giving it an alternate title. It is just SMB2.
No "Lost Levels", no "For Super Players".
Of course, that could just be laziness! ;)

iridium_ionizer

• The universe is complicated. Get used to it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6922 on: September 14, 2020, 01:50:25 am »
My "pie in the sky" wish would be for a utility that takes a .ftm or .nsf file from Famitracker and reformat it into bytes based on separate configuration files for each NES game. The utility itself would probably be easier to make than the config files, but since the sound / music data formats are known for many NES games it should be doable. Yes, the config files would have to specify which channels / effects would be discarded for that game.

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #6923 on: September 14, 2020, 04:52:47 pm »
there needs to be a patch that turns GoldenEye 007 into Rare Replay 64

just does away with all the 007 stuff and has a nice menu and selection of the games

oh, for those that don't know, there is a emulator and a bunch of ZX Spectrum games hidden in GE007 for N64

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6924 on: September 15, 2020, 10:38:11 am »
I would like to see a hack for Pokemon Red, Blue & Yellow that will add the re-translated script from the Pokémon Green in English hack to those games.

I also would like to see a addendum hack for the Mario Kart: Super Circuit - Localized Voices hack that will give Yoshi his MK64 voice clips as well.

With the PSX port of The Neverhood translated to English, I would like to see someone give the PSX port of Beavis and Butt-Head in Virtual Stupidity the same treatment.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 11:37:46 am by SCD »

gukid

• View Profile
« Reply #6925 on: September 15, 2020, 10:58:26 am »
A really simple hack I'd love to see:  The Breath of Fire 2 Retranslation but without all the graphical bells and whistles and other stuff.  Basically just the retranslation with a simple variable-width font based on the original and no other changes.

WingMantis

• View Profile
« Reply #6926 on: September 15, 2020, 10:46:18 pm »
Can someone hack analog controller support into more Sega Genesis / Mega Drive games?

There was an analog controller in Japan (worked on the Mega Drive and some of the micro computers like the x68000 or something).

This would be amazing. Would mostly be for emulator use though, as the controllers are rare ($150+)

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #6927 on: September 16, 2020, 09:45:16 am »
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5145/
is there a chance this SA1 hack could be ported over to Megaman X2?

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #6928 on: September 16, 2020, 09:57:31 am »
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5145/
is there a chance this SA1 hack could be ported over to Megaman X2?

That's a good question. I know if you remove all of the cx4 chip features you can add the
sa-1 chip. But can you use both chips at the same time?

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6929 on: September 16, 2020, 10:40:08 am »
Would love to see a hack of Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle but with Bugs replaced with Gus Honeybun from CITV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjaOsyaYsfE
A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
« Reply #6930 on: September 16, 2020, 06:12:34 pm »
A hack for Super Mario Bros. Deluxe that restores the unfinished Lost Levels worlds 9-D, adds in the ground tiles, and restores the Luigi physics. Also, fix the Lakitu bug.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6931 on: September 16, 2020, 06:45:17 pm »
idea for the GB game Trax: Change how the control works. How? Normally it is:
A - Turn Turret
B - Fire

My proposal:
A - Fire but lock place
B - Fire but lock angle (so you can strafe around)
A+B - Fire freely (the turret faces the direction you are moving)

Masked Dedede

• what
    • View Profile
    • YouTube:
« Reply #6932 on: September 16, 2020, 10:29:52 pm »
Mega Man X, version of the SA-1 patch that's compatible with version 1.1 of the game.
"Genocide is just another game. It doesn't matter whether it's humans or Makai residents." - Yuuka Kazami

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #6933 on: September 17, 2020, 10:53:26 am »
Inspired by what was reported for Super Mario 3D All-Stars so far, I suggest changing Super Mario 64 DS so that instead of saying "Buh-bye!" after throwing Bowser at a great distance, he actually says, "So long-a, Bowser!"

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #6934 on: September 17, 2020, 09:47:30 pm »
Wow, you're right, that's awful. This seems like an easy hack. I will take a look when I get some free time this weekend.

One of the biggest flaws for Ghost Lion (NES) is the battle music. It's the music that we hear the most in the game and it plays in a short loop. Either mute the music or have it continue to play the field music.

line2666

• View Profile
« Reply #6935 on: September 17, 2020, 10:00:14 pm »
Port some of the Shadowrun JP improvements back to US.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/588651-shadowrun/55870526

Homer177

• View Profile
« Reply #6936 on: September 18, 2020, 02:07:02 pm »
I'd like to try colorizing Mario's Picross and Picross 2. Are there any good dev resources that can show me the ropes on colorizing Gameboy games in a similar fashion to Super Mario Land, Kirby's Dream Land and Super Mario Land 2 and Dr. Mario DX? Any help is appreciated.

Dragoonglue

• View Profile
« Reply #6937 on: September 19, 2020, 08:03:32 am »
Port some of the Shadowrun JP improvements back to US.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/588651-shadowrun/55870526
What for? The Japanese version of Shadowrun is already in english, for the most part.

Supergamerguy

• Retro game fanatic; loves platformers, hates jrpgs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6938 on: September 19, 2020, 08:45:22 am »
I'd like to try colorizing Mario's Picross and Picross 2. Are there any good dev resources that can show me the ropes on colorizing Gameboy games in a similar fashion to Super Mario Land, Kirby's Dream Land and Super Mario Land 2 and Dr. Mario DX? Any help is appreciated.

I second that motion, but for Kirby's Dreamland 2 and Mega Man V as well.
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #6939 on: September 20, 2020, 04:19:18 am »
I'm trying to get into Alex Kid in Miracle World, but the "one hit you're dead" thing and the fact that you have to do a secret button input if you have the coins in order to continue is really off putting.  There's a hack that just has infinite continues enabled called Alex Kidd in Miracle World 2, but that's a total conversion. I'd like to see this done for the base game... and all the other Alex Kidd games as well. I've not played them all but I've played Miracle World and Enchanted Castle, and it's the same story with both so I assume it's the same for the rest of the series.

...Also, it would probably be difficult...but some... ANY kinda tell for the bosses and what hand sign they're going to throw out during Roshambo... A subtle hand waggle for paper, a defensive stance for rock, ANYTHING
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.