News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2458392 times)

confuzed

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6720 on: July 14, 2020, 11:59:48 am »
I am not sure if this is the right topic to ask; but what about an english translation of Popful Mail for the sfc/snes? Here and there people said that this rom is unhackable, could someone explain this to someone who doesn't know anything about hacking?

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6721 on: July 14, 2020, 02:51:24 pm »
Never heard of it before now but nothing is unhackable as long as we have a working copy of it. Some PC stuff might be if servers were necessary and we don't have the necessary data to replicate it or decrypt it, and for your basic SNES cartridge game that is not the case (Satellaview might be different if there is lost data out there).

Anyway when people say that they usually mean it will be one of those nightmare ROMs to hack.

Usual reasons are there is no spare space available on the ROM (or some crucial bank in it -- 8Mb LoROM is not a push it to the limit type of cartridge), the ROM does something strange (all text as graphics or something), the ROM makes things complicated (every screen is a new table perhaps), there is some kind of anti piracy or anti cheat pervading everything (rare on the SNES, was mainly the DS before we started seeing such things), maybe there is some custom compression you get to deal with.
Basically if the simplest ROM hacks are able to be handled with basic tools and possibly a lot of pressing down to find what you want then things that take you further and further from that, something that probably requires someone with serious knowledge of the hardware and coding involved (at least at first) to have a look at it and pick it all apart.

MysteryMan3D

• View Profile
« Reply #6722 on: July 14, 2020, 04:24:46 pm »
@FAST6191:
I honestly didn't expect a response to this request, much less so quickly and so helpful, so Thank You very much!

Batman: The Video Game for SEGA Genesis (or Batman '89 for Genesis as I like to call it, as it's a 16-bit replica of the original Tim Burton movie) is a fun little side-scrolling platformer/beat-em-up/shooter, but can be considered very short by default, especially if you've made it your go-to Batman game as well as your Favorite Batman game ever (which I did :P ), so I'm gonna try your ideas when I feel I need to. There's also Batman Returns and Batman Forever for Genesis, but I most likely don't need to do this same thing for them because they're both longer and harder than Batman '89 by default.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #6723 on: July 14, 2020, 04:54:59 pm »
I don't suppose someone could make a level skip hack for double dragon advance to skip non arcade levels so it feels more like the arcade game.

Necronos

• View Profile
« Reply #6724 on: July 14, 2020, 05:34:01 pm »
Minor idea (and I bet it could be done with AR codes but I lack the skills atm) but I'd love a hack/patch/code that prevented EXP gain in the GBAvanias (Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow).

In Aria of Sorrow, I managed to find (and edit) the memory bit related to the level, thus taking it to 255 and making a "level 1/no exp" run possible (and it's as fun as it's frustrating lol). I'd love to the same with said other games so if anyone can help I'd be grateful. :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:58:58 pm by Necronos »

bukopandan

• View Profile
« Reply #6725 on: July 14, 2020, 11:49:46 pm »
Wish someone could make a D Pad Hack for the 2 Dementium Games on the DS and more other games that uses touch controls like Nameless Game, Mario 3 on 3 Hoops, and Soul Eater, first person action games sucks when using touch controls most of the time and it leaves a lot of scratches at the bottom screen of the DS/3DS not to mention pointless control gimmicks.
My Youtube Channel where I demonstrate my mad video gaming skills. Kekekek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGPnfU4q12x6vEWXv4Ftq8Q/videos

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #6726 on: July 15, 2020, 12:26:10 am »
kinda wish there was a patch for all the Sonic games where it was applicable so that you cannot collect the rings you drop when you are hit, just like in the Master System games.  Always felt like just being able to pick your rings back up removes any need to be cautious once you get at least one and makes the games to easy.  That being said I still want a visual of the rings being knocked out of you, as it really helps as a visual indicator that you've taken damage.
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

confuzed

• View Profile
« Reply #6727 on: July 15, 2020, 05:12:29 am »
@FAST6191
 :thumbsup: Thanks alot for all these infos, i think i got it now

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6728 on: July 15, 2020, 01:22:04 pm »
kinda wish there was a patch for all the Sonic games where it was applicable so that you cannot collect the rings you drop when you are hit, just like in the Master System games.  Always felt like just being able to pick your rings back up removes any need to be cautious once you get at least one and makes the games to easy.  That being said I still want a visual of the rings being knocked out of you, as it really helps as a visual indicator that you've taken damage.

That could be something you could make as a cheat.

The rings vanish fairly shortly after being hit so there is presumably a small timer in there somewhere. Find this timer and force it to be 0 or whatever gives you a fractional amount of time.

Finding timers is one of the less fun things in cheat making but should be possible to give yourself infinite rings and back yourself into a corner to continually be hit by a throwing enemy or something -- you might even want to bust out a level editor to make such a setup. At that point you have a reasonably steady thing to look at that controls for other variables. You could also try with a savestate made just as you get hit and then restored (presumably restoring the number). If the enemy thing is not going to work for you go somewhere quiet in a level and jump on some spikes.
Do note some timers count upwards so don't always use the "has decreased" option in your searches, or at leas if you are going to try that one at first if it is not coming up with good results then shift to has changed type searches.

If there is some kind of hard mode/easy mode in one of the games that speeds this up then so much the better.

If you are doing it the big boy hacker way then the thing will be on screen for a while. Find what is controlling it in the graphics department (should just be a matter of watching the sprite location memory) and trace it back up from there. Anything causing it to flash as they start to vanish will also be interacting with the timer at some level.

Minor idea (and I bet it could be done with AR codes but I lack the skills atm) but I'd love a hack/patch/code that prevented EXP gain in the GBAvanias (Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow).

In Aria of Sorrow, I managed to find (and edit) the memory bit related to the level, thus taking it to 255 and making a "level 1/no exp" run possible (and it's as fun as it's frustrating lol). I'd love to the same with said other games so if anyone can help I'd be grateful. :)
That should be fairly basic cheat searching effort. Find something that gives you experience (maybe just the one so some really basic enemy, are there any infinite zombies locations in these games?) and do a cheat finding session looking for changes. Give yourself infinite health and a shiny sword if you really want/need it.
https://web.archive.org/web/20080309104350/http://etk.scener.org/?op=tutorial

That said there are already codes made for things
https://www.almarsguides.com/retro/walkthroughs/GBA/games/CastlevaniaCircleofTheMoon/ActionReplay/
Might need a copy of arcrypt, cbacrypt or whatever to allow you to edit the cheats but should be easy to force low what they force high.
Could also force your stats down to level 1 stats rather than max which would achieve much the same effect.
https://megalixir.cc/gba/castlevania-harmony-of-dissonance/
https://megalixir.cc/gba/castlevania-aria-of-sorrow/

http://bsfree.org/hack/hacking_gba.html for how the unencrypted codes work (and the tools page should have the downloads if they are not otherwise available). The GBA does have some nice options here as far as less than, equal to and the like codes.

If you want to hardpatch them into a game to play on a flash cart or emulator with iffy cheat support (or simply don't want the hassle) have a look for GBAATM. There is a modern port/remake as well https://gbatemp.net/threads/gbaatm-rebirth-gba-auto-trainer-maker-a-new-hope.564321/

dcengine

• View Profile
« Reply #6729 on: July 17, 2020, 12:07:44 am »
alright i dont know the limits of hacking so these might be all "lol thats not gonna happen" ideas

1. snes nba jam te - add music during matches like the arcade
2. snes gunforce - faster bullet speed and all weaposn unlimmited ammmo to give it a more contra feel, increase speed overall
3. snes jurassic park 2 - same. all weapons unlimited ammo.
4. snes run saber - strider hack, including the cypherblade sound effect
5. snes secret of mana - remove the charge to 100% mechanic on attacks, make it more like seiken densetu3 battles
6. snes dracula x - add richter's SOTN moves, increase walk speed. maria playable
7. snes zombies ate - evil dead hack! or at least make sprites less cartoony
8. snes dragon ball z 2 - add the QOL changes of DBZ3 like the faster charging, (and  well faster everything actually)

my other wishlist is mostly "add a 2 player co-op mode" to any game possible. especially ones that already feature co-op in the arcade version like magic sword, undercover cops or parodius.

gameseeker86

• View Profile
« Reply #6730 on: July 17, 2020, 01:03:32 pm »
Idea voluntarily removed.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 08:22:45 pm by gameseeker86 »

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #6731 on: July 17, 2020, 07:41:33 pm »
Can some one translate Rockman L (last) on NES please to english i do think its a good mega man hack. And if any Proto man fan's could switch the sprites of mega man and proto man and scenes when mega man gets new powers for beating a boss to proto man getting them (could use other proto man hack scene's) You could have a new Proto man game. With fighting mega man as a sub boss be for you fight most of the 8 new robot masters. I can only wish this happens.. .
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 01:21:31 am by MathOnNapkins »

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6732 on: July 17, 2020, 10:41:21 pm »
this has nothing to do with programming

Masked Dedede

• what
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6733 on: July 17, 2020, 11:15:12 pm »
Akumajou Densetsu, make the character system like the Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon games.
Bottom Text

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6734 on: July 18, 2020, 03:43:00 am »
I would like to see re-translation hacks for Pokemon Red, Blue & Yellow that will change the main script to be a lot closer to their Japanese counterparts.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 12:07:21 pm by SCD »

Entroper

• View Profile
« Reply #6735 on: July 18, 2020, 03:28:34 pm »
SNES "The Firemen" (either version) -- make it so the axe man is controllable by a second player, akin to the Secret of Evermore patch that enables the dog.  Fun game but it would be so much moreso if you could play it 2P simultaneous.

E.Signal

• View Profile
« Reply #6736 on: July 18, 2020, 05:08:17 pm »
I'm surprised a rom hack for this game hasn't been made yet ...... The original Bubsy for the SNES and Sega Genesis is a brutally hard game, but for the wrong reason .... the cheap 1 hit deaths. Everything you touch kills you in 1 hit. Busby II fixed that problem by allowing you to be hit 3 times before you die, If the original Bubsy had this, the game would be a lot more enjoyable and less frustrating.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6737 on: July 19, 2020, 02:09:50 am »
Personally, I don't think it was that bad.
1 hit death wasn't that uncommon in those days, and there were certainly far worse games.
The cat dying to almost everything was kind of its gimmick though. (along with giving nine lives.)
I didn't think it was that unfair (though I probably played like three worlds in at most, over half the game).
You really have to use the Glide button to get more reaction time (and also remove fall damage) to stuff, I think.

Though I'm aware it's not exactly a perfect game either. I have seen video of one badly placed checkpoint where if you don't defeat the enemy next to it first, Bubsy can spawn in an infinite death loop.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Viewer

• View Profile
« Reply #6738 on: July 19, 2020, 05:26:24 am »
Personally, I don't think it was that bad.
1 hit death wasn't that uncommon in those days, and there were certainly far worse games.
The cat dying to almost everything was kind of its gimmick though. (along with giving nine lives.)
I didn't think it was that unfair (though I probably played like three worlds in at most, over half the game).
You really have to use the Glide button to get more reaction time (and also remove fall damage) to stuff, I think.

Yeah, but Sonic at least let you curl into a ball so you could keep your speed without immediately dying when you ran into something (not even counting the rings). Also, the glide? Works just fine until you run into an enemy or projectile at your height or *slightly* higher - in which case, you dead. Bubsy's speed is unbalanced compared to how vulnerable he is - if you let go of the glide at the wrong moment and collide with an enemy you couldn't see? Dead. Fall on a cactus, into a pit or into water that you couldn't see? Dead.

It could have used some more QA time, is my point.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #6739 on: July 20, 2020, 02:39:56 pm »
Thunder Force 2 (MD) improvement
-Add the map function to overhead levels from the X68K version as a separate screen which also shows your current location
-Add the speed adjustment feature from Thunder Force 3 to both overhead and sidescrolling levels
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 02:45:40 pm by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.