News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2413320 times)

CyberFox

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6700 on: July 04, 2020, 09:23:28 pm »
You know what would be sweet?
If some one make a overhaul hack of DK for the Game Boy and change it into deluxe port of Sunsoft's Kangaroo

July 04, 2020, 09:37:49 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
LGR did an episode on SEGA PC's localization of The Tower II called "Yoot Tower"
He had problems with the PC version which you will find out on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqNECXCd9iU
The meat and potatoes here is the PC version needs some fixing up and this is where you could help him
Remove the load and save glitch from the PC/Windows version
Find a way to make the japan exclusive content from "The Tower II" (patches and all) cross-compatible with Yoot Tower or alternatively, add the patches and expansions to game
Translate the expansion packs of The Tower II and make them compatible with Yoot Tower (or patch the fan translated expansions into the Y.T.)
and If possible, Perhaps make a tool to make new fake films and banners for Yoot Tower
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 09:37:49 pm by CyberFox »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6701 on: July 04, 2020, 10:58:08 pm »
wow, i wish someone would make an entry for that on this site, or compile a list of ALL the DS games that have such patches, i didnt even know this one existed (actually didnt realize it was a dpad-less game to begin with)

super cool

It is pretty much the Zeldas in a few forms (no reason not to go with the Greiga Master offerings today, though https://github.com/StraDaMa/Legend-of-Zelda-Phantom-Hourglass-D-Pad-Patch could be of interest to a handful of people and maybe you doing a hack for the game you wanted), Starfox, technically some patches to castlevania to remove the seals and ice nonsense (few different choices there), rhythm heaven ( http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4824/ ) and possibly the minor mod to trauma centre to swap tools via buttons (obviously the game is still about about the touchscreen but I can see that being welcome, especially if you come from the Wii). Some were also distributed as cheats as well, had a quick scan of an old database and other than Starfox and Zelda there might be one for that Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road game.

There are a few other button hacks but they are more remapping, or things like guitar hero dodging the GBA slot addon or controlling the pokemon typing game over network, a few games being hacked to use the little twisty slider paddle controller thing (most probably going for Mario Kart) and any number of cheats using button combos to do nice things. If we are going with the "touchscreen and microphone gimmicks suck, especially forced ones" then Puyo Pop fever's mic thing was kicked in the head by http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2298/

Not sure what became of the release stored item with button combo thing someone was trying for New Super Mario Brothers DS once.

Most of the time after the initial push and Nintendo calmed down on the "you absolutely must use the touchscreen and mic gimmick" the devs either stopped with it, made it optional (touchscreen is great for menus, maps, inventory and screen picking, such that I miss it on newer devices without such options, but you can still chuck a cursor on the dpad and kick a button over), or made the entire game actually revolve around it such that changing would be hard (see some of the DS touchscreen based puzzle games that got backported as late stage GBA titles... dark times there)... indeed if you can tell me a way to plausibly play doodle hex with a dpad then I will be thoroughly impressed.

Or if you prefer this is probably the first such request I have seen in some years, and most of those were either refinements/different mappings to existing ones (patches or people wanting more refined touchscreen for those games with it out of the box-- see mario 64 DS), workarounds for broken devices or maybe a different region, maybe a mapping option for emulators without a mouse (though most of those are content enough with the ones made) and not much else. The only one I had lingering in my head really was that advance wars download play minigame and nobody really likes the minigame enough to warrant that, not to mention prior to more recent stuff where the RSA signing was defeated it would have had a very limited audience even then. That or coming the other way and making advance wars work better with touchscreen but that is a different topic.

Megatronformayor

• View Profile
« Reply #6702 on: July 05, 2020, 04:11:18 pm »
With Beavis and Butt-head on the SNES resuming the game via a password starts you off with one life and very little health. I'm thinking perhaps one could fix this and have the passwords start you with at least three lives and full health. Also give Beavis and Butt-head separate health bars.

CryinOnion

• "Once upon a time, a terribly sad onion ..."
    • View Profile
    • Crying Onion's Youtube Channel
« Reply #6703 on: July 06, 2020, 05:15:10 am »
I saw this just a few minutes ago: https://youtu.be/JM4QyMYfRI4
Obviously it's a fake, but with a lot of work, the NES game would look exactly the same :laugh:

zefmc

• View Profile
« Reply #6704 on: July 06, 2020, 10:34:47 am »
Since Mega Man and Bass and the Mega Man X games all have hacks to get rid of double-tap to dash (https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=29811.0)
it would be great to have this for Mega Man Xtreme 1 and 2 for the Game Boy Color.

edit: It would also be amazing to be able to put dash on the start button for Xtreme 2 like it was in the first game, but I imagine this would be much harder to do. After playing the game a bit, I realize that without a button that specifically does the dash like Xtreme 1, you wouldn't be able to perform a dash-jump if double-tap to dash is removed, as you can't seem to dash-jump with down+jump in that game. That means it's pretty much pointless to get rid of double-tap to dash without adding a new button for the dash function that works with dash-jumping, sadly.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 12:06:32 pm by zefmc »

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #6705 on: July 06, 2020, 07:57:42 pm »
is there a way to easily put the script of Super Mario 64 into the Super Mario 64 Shindo Edition rom,

basically it's SM64 with rumble, and it's much nicer

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6706 on: July 06, 2020, 09:26:32 pm »
is there a way to easily put the script of Super Mario 64 into the Super Mario 64 Shindo Edition rom,

basically it's SM64 with rumble, and it's much nicer

For most Mario 64 hacking purposes these days you will probably be pointed at the source code that was reverse engineered a while back.

Looking at https://tcrf.net/Super_Mario_64_(Nintendo_64)/Regional_and_Version_Differences#Shindou_Pak_Taiou_Version you could probably replicate most of those in fairly short order with the code where the might be more annoying to replicate as a more traditional ROM hack.

Edit. Probably should not write things at 2 in the morning. Anyway while I would probably still opt to backport things to the source code if it is just text then that is probably going to be easy enough to do (especially if it is that similar).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 09:32:42 pm by FAST6191 »

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #6707 on: July 06, 2020, 11:20:50 pm »
Can some one translate Rockman L (last) on NES please to english i do think its a good mega man hack.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #6708 on: July 07, 2020, 12:09:08 am »
It would be nice if someone did a hack of Cowboy Kid and overhaul it with the characters and world of Lucky Luke

SinWorld

• View Profile
« Reply #6709 on: July 07, 2020, 05:33:21 pm »
What's the proper way to find a cheat-code for the PSP game 'worms battle island US-version'? I found the address for Infinite round-time and also for infinite turn-time, but it worked only for one round. I think the timers' address kept changing. Can any experts guide me on how to find the fixed address to freeze the timers? Thank you.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6710 on: July 07, 2020, 08:18:54 pm »
Sounds like a pointer code. I don't know what there is for pointer search on the PSP offhand.

Generally though you will get at least two (more or good though) runs at something and find the relevant addresses both times as well as get savestates/memory dumps.
The pointer search tool will take dumps and values and look to see what references those. Somewhere down the line it will be static and you then build a code back up ( https://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/CwCheat#Pointer_Commands_.280x6.29 ) to interpret those pointers to the given current location.

You can get pointer to pointer (to pointer...), indeed such a thing is often a test in computer science exams to make sure the person taking truly gets pointers but that is a different topic.

Alternatively you can go straight for assembly and set a breakpoint on the current round's (or turn's) value and tell it to break on write to that. Follow the chain back up from there and it should have to generate the location or reference the pointer somewhere along the line.

There are two main reasons something might be a pointer code.
1) Dynamic memory. C family languages allow the compiler to handle memory allocation ( https://www.tutorialspoint.com/c_standard_library/c_function_malloc.htm ) and depending upon what is still in memory (different options picked, different thing loaded, memory leak...) something may end up in different location between runs.
2) Some kind of anti cheat/hack.

If you have to you can go manual rather than use a tool to scan for pointers but it is tedious. Figure out the format it will store the pointer as (probably a direct memory reference -- chapter 7 http://hitmen.c02.at/files/yapspd/psp_doc/frames.html ) and search for that run's cheat location as what you would expect a pointer to say. Repeat for other runs.
There is a further exception (we have had timers and such live in registers and the stack before) but let's not get silly right away and it sounds like it is not the case anyway. There can also be generated pointers (have a value but add say 20h to it to get to the real location, usually seen more in stats and games with many characters with data in a table) but again let's not get too silly right away with the quirks and exceptions.

Dracula X

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Page for ROM hacking
« Reply #6711 on: July 09, 2020, 07:52:52 pm »
I wish there was a level hack for Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance on GBA, maybe a different storyline and different music from other Castlevania games or others. I love this game and the two castles too. One is good and the other one is scarry.
I might go back to Thunder Force II hacking again.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6712 on: July 10, 2020, 04:32:03 pm »
Have you tried the stuff on http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&genre=&platform=10&game=1106&category=&perpage=20&order=&dir=&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go ?
Major work, New game plus and a tweaked mode, and a whole bunch of improvement hacks and alterations. Music seems to be a bit lacking but hopefully it is a sappy game as you can probably do that yourself if it is (injection of other songs is not so hard with such a thing)

Perhaps not as exotic as some of the boss rush and fully rejigged efforts from the other GBA on up handheld efforts but something.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6713 on: July 11, 2020, 03:28:43 pm »
You know, looking back at the Sonic Game Gear games, specifically Sonic 1 & 2's game gear versions, I'm surprised that no one has done a Tails or Knuckles version of the game hack like the others did with the characters in Sonic 1 mods. Also, looking back at the Sailor Moon Gameboy games, I hope someday someone finishes the first Gameboy version.

Dracula X

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Page for ROM hacking
« Reply #6714 on: July 13, 2020, 01:18:01 pm »
Have you tried the stuff on http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&genre=&platform=10&game=1106&category=&perpage=20&order=&dir=&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go ?
Major work, New game plus and a tweaked mode, and a whole bunch of improvement hacks and alterations. Music seems to be a bit lacking but hopefully it is a sappy game as you can probably do that yourself if it is (injection of other songs is not so hard with such a thing)

Perhaps not as exotic as some of the boss rush and fully rejigged efforts from the other GBA on up handheld efforts but something.
Tried it and it was cool! I haven't tried Castlevania - Harmony of Disonnance NGP yet but I will one day. Castlevania HOD: Revenge of the Findesiecle is one of my favorite hacks of them all. Sappy is not that hard at all.
I might go back to Thunder Force II hacking again.

MysteryMan3D

• View Profile
« Reply #6715 on: July 13, 2020, 03:30:34 pm »
This one isn't of utmost importance, but if someone could teach me how to make the levels in "Batman: The Video Game" for SEGA Genesis longer and more random, it'd be greatly appreciated.

OR, if someone was willing to make a full-blown level editor for the game, like what was done for the NES version, that'd be terrific!

Butterhands

• View Profile
« Reply #6716 on: July 13, 2020, 09:34:32 pm »
Please could you help for restore the censored gib in Cruis'n USA? Boring person found the unused collision routine that is the same from the original arcade version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MKOdGLtUXI

The code need of another prevent code freeze 'cause try to identify the stricken object, doesn't match with the deer or cow ID and then freeze. Instead with the prevent code doesn't freeze but doesn't load in VRAM the right 3D models and then there are someone else borrow from another VRAM location, otherwise the pieces would be invisible.

Then is necessary discovery the cow and deer's object ID and force the game to recognize that codes to maybe force it to load the right 3D models.

Currently the code have these 4 lines that prevent the freeze: (Cruis'n USA US V1.0)

81041A20 0000
81041A22 0000
81041A2C 0000
81041A2E 0000

Then this code:

801FA36B 00F0
81045418 8015
8104541A 8FC4
81045428 8015
8104542A 8D5C
81045438 8015
8104543A 8E58
81045448 8015
8104544A 8DCC
81041A20 0000
81041A22 0000
81041A2C 0000
81041A2E 0000

Trasnform the tollbooth first road sign in IOWA track in exploding GIB collision feature, but replace with borrow 3D models with the 8 code lines between the freeze-prevent and the first. Otherwise the pieces wpuld be invisible.

Instead this code (always for US 1.0 version:)
Force many collisions to be roadkill collision in tracks like S. Francisco.
81040D08 0000
81040D0A 0000
81041A20 0000
81041A22 0000
81041A2C 0000
81041A2E 0000

The last four are to prevent the freeze.
Instead of prevent the freeze could you please discovery a code to force the game to recognize the stricken object to something else and finally find the deer's and cow IDs? Should load in VRAM the right models theorically.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6717 on: July 13, 2020, 11:02:49 pm »
Haven't watched a video of the game (and don't want to guess which of the half dozen batman games on the megadrive that was) nor checked to see if someone has already looked at the game (would not be unheard of) at this point, probably should have but hey.

Simple way you can do in 5 minutes.
Get some cheats, figure out how they are encoded.
Get a savestate grabber and loader (this can be a simple auto button press script with anything that does that, autohotkey probably being the default choice, that fires off load and save every so often, or repeats a bit a few times, and has some cheats).

Now you can replay segments with various amounts of health, lives, ammo (if that is a thing in this) and whatever you like.

If you are playing this with friends then swap your own personal savestates too. Now you have a crude, but effective if the effort is put in, boss rush, challenge mode, random play mode and the like.

Going a bit more advanced then you could learn possibly to spawn enemies with cheats. Don't know what goes for this game though. Alternatively if they have health then you can possibly double it or fiddle with it to give them more or less. If you want and your emulator of choice has lua then you can go a bit further still and have it detect things in the game (though autohotkey might also have some abilities here) and fire savestates and cheats accordingly to make it even more seamless.

After this then yeah you get to play level editor which takes a little bit longer. How easy it will be to make levels longer I don't know (I would immediately worry about memory issues, though it could be one of those nice streaming games). Simple editing to change order and spawn locations is a different matter and is fairly basic ROM hacking, though not necessarily what people normally go in for first (they usually go for graphics and text) so you don't tend to see much of it.
Generally we find levels take one of the few approaches.
Layers. Here you will have the background/main level, the enemies and their locations and maybe a third for hazards, items or something similar. Two or three is most common but you can have many more.
Said layers will either be full bitmaps of the level (basically if every part is a tile then everything is accounted for) or some kind of coordinate system to say what it is and where in the level a given item appears. There are perks and downsides to both approaches so you never know until you look really, as a rough rule of thumb the simpler single screen or not much more stuff will be bitmap while long scrolling things will be coordinate but you never really know. I have seen mixed approaches as well (level layout is bitmap but pickups maybe not).
Figuring out what is what is always fun. Experiment on basic levels if you can rather than jumping in at the deep end. If there are differences between regions then that can help. Remember you can experiment (what does this value mean, what if I put three in a row...) rather than just analysing things.
You may also be able to find it in memory (it has to load it some time) so you can possibly use a cheat to edit things in real time and that makes thing a lot quicker to figure out. This also means be careful with savestates -- if the game has already loaded it into memory by the time you make the savestate then your carefully executed ROM edits might not show up. This usually just means take a save before you start the level/section you care about.

After figuring out what style of level the game uses I would usually make sure to figure out basic ledges, teleporters (game design term to mean things that, well, teleport you to the next room/stage or finish the stage, not necessarily an actual in game teleporter and might be a banal door or whatever as far as graphics are concerned) and then at least one example of enemies and pickups. You can fill in the rest from there.

How to find levels to begin with. I like elimination myself. Knock out whatever is graphics (look in a tile editor and press down a lot), whatever is text (relative search maybe) and whatever is music (harder but doable) and maybe what is binary (your emulator will tell you where it is running right now, though sometimes levels can be buried in it so it is not a sure fire thing) and you likely have very few things to poke with a stick (aka corrupt it or copy paste things around) to see what changes. Alternatively you can trace things back from the game itself.

Turning all this knowledge into a level editor someone can click on and see things (be it ASCII standins or full graphical editor) is a rather harder task but if you just want to tweak a few things for your personal use this is one of the occasions it actually makes sense to do real hacking work with a hex editor. If you know what a pickup looks like in the editor you can add more, remove it, put it to the end of the level, if you have enemy spawners then great you can put more in until you crash the game from having too many, you can possibly change it to be something else (not all enemies might be valid on all levels, but you can try and maybe have a few more mid bosses or something), if you know what the level layout looks like then you can mix up ledges a bit...
If you want to document what you have found, the basic format of things and locations in the game then do share with us -- reverse engineering level formats is not the hardest thing in the world but with so few basic approaches to it all someone might be able to twist an existing level editor for something else towards this and already having the groundwork done does change things.

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #6718 on: July 14, 2020, 01:47:50 am »
I hope someone fixes the one great flaw for the Genesis version of Xeno Crisis: you can't roll while shooting, which takes away from the dynamics of shooting and quickly avoiding danger. Ironically, you can comfortably do this without any problem on the Dreamcast and PC versions.  :banghead:

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
« Reply #6719 on: July 14, 2020, 10:54:18 am »
Hack idea: Insane Clown Posse game based off of "Ice Climber"

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 11:03:05 am by sil3nt_j »